Author Topic: Lever pull basics  (Read 6222 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Lever pull basics
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2011, 06:00:56 PM »
Or, does the second pull do some pressure-profiling thing?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »
Between the three pulls (1 x preinfusion and 2 x pulls) you can manipulate the shot via pressure in a few ways. From the moment I begin the first downward movement I'm thinking pressure profile and the way it plays out depends on what I see from the bottomless PF.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2011, 11:46:50 AM »
Here is what I did today..

I did several small pulls during (pre) preinfusion to take up all the space and deliver a max one pull shot. I'm calling it one and not counting the preinfusion routine.

I am not sure about this coffee as straight shots so I made a small milk ~4 total max. My only thought on this exercise was to see if a one pull shot like this would carry into the milk at this size.

Im going to do much more testing and maybe it will amount to nothing but with measuring the 23g single pull yesterday and finding this shot will punch through the milk on this size drink I've got to chase down some conclusions at this point.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2011, 11:54:33 AM »
Chase on, that's the beauty of lever.

milowebailey

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
This weekend I have been rebuilding and tuning my Sama Export.  I didn't mess with the pressurestat at first because the piston seals needed to be replaced and the steam wand needed some lube (replaced the o-rings in that too). 

I was working on getting my technique down on the Sama and just wasn't happy with the results of either the shot or the steaming and I'd heard the Sama was a steam engine.  I don't have a steam pressure gage, so I ordered one today.

Combination pressure and temperature as I hope to use it also to check portafilter output temperature. 

Since I was considering messing with the pressurestat I figured I'd take a look under the hood and see how it's adjusted, and I couldn't help but adjust it.  I went to far the first time and had to back it off a little.  Wow what a difference.  Once I get the pressure gauge I'll set it to ~1 bar as per the recommendation of Orphan Espresso.

I also plan to pull some more shots with it tomorrow.... I'm sure I'll need to make adjustments on coffee weight and grind, but I'm guessing this was a huge part of my problem with this machine.

Question for the Sama, Ponte Vecchio users.  What coffee dose do you typically use?  I've been using 13, 14 and 15 grams.

Also same question for the La Pavoni users, as that machine in next for tuning.

thanks
-milowebailey

Tex

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2012, 12:12:14 PM »
I probably already know the answer, but I have to ask; "Why use a pressure gauge when a thermocouple is so easy to mount?"

milowebailey

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »
Great news on the Export.  I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

I usually dose fourteen to sixteen grams on the Gaggia Factory with the La Pavoni Millennium 51 mm group.

As I probably said in another thread, I've been dosing the Factory with 16 grams in the double basket and really liking the results with Staylor's Haro Sana, Handsome Coffee Roaster's Fisticuffs espresso and Sight Glass Owls Howl espresso.

How's 16 grams treating you, Milo?
didn't use it yesterday, and this morning I was in a hurry so pulled one shot really quick... Sama wasn't hot yet.... so a little sour.  Tomorrow morning I'll hit it hard.  16 grams it will be.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2012, 05:58:19 PM »
Question for the Sama, Ponte Vecchio users.  What coffee dose do you typically use?  I've been using 13, 14 and 15 grams.

When I measured it I was often using 14-15g.

I hardly measure any more because I've got my own little routine but for the dose portion of things I overfill the basket and use my tamper to knock/settle the coffee with the portafilter over the sink until I like the way it looks then tamp. I'm pretty sure this still gets me ~14-15g on average but if I get the occasional 13 or 16g it all works out in the wash...the milk wash.  ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison