Author Topic: What's the big deal about HX espresso machines?  (Read 527 times)

Tex

What's the big deal about HX espresso machines?
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
The first image shows my Bunn ES-1A's temp at the puck using the thermocouple-over-the-lip technique. In this image I've restricted the group flow to 2 ounces every 30 seconds.

I ran the test for as long as the digital thermometer could record - 99 seconds. A bit extreme, but I wanted to make sure the intra-shot temp didn't deviate too much when I regulated the outflow. I limited the flush cycle to 4 ounces, which may explain the initial temp spike? The flat-line beginning temp represents the effects of pre-infusion warming the puck.

That's more or less what I expected to see. Now I just need to recheck the thermocouple/thermometer accuracy, and maybe lower the boiler temp.

The second image shows the group temp stability at idle. Rock solid!

This is what good HX machines are known for - rock solid temp stability. I don't want to show the results for the Silvia and Gaggia machines I've tested; it's too unfair to compare apples & oranges!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:39:39 AM by Tex »

Tex

Re: What's the big deal about HX espresso machines?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
Maybe it's the intra-shot temp stability? How does a lever machine do at holding a steady temp for the duration of the pull?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:48:15 PM by Tex »