Author Topic: Metal Drive Gear for Baratza Grinders  (Read 685 times)

RobertL

Metal Drive Gear for Baratza Grinders
« on: September 10, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »
I was over at Baratza browsing their website when I stumbled upon this. Now either I completely missed this a while back when I replaced the burrs on my Maestro or this is a new option. But they are offering metal drive gear replacements instead of the nylon that comes from the factory. Has anyone with a new Maestro or Virtuoso noticed if they have a metal gear? Anyway I just thought I would pass this on in case anyone was interested.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Metal Drive Gear for Baratza Grinders
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:27:12 PM »
No ... was not aware ... but great addition.

Metal will far outlast the plastic.

Nice replacement part.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Marshall_S

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:15:09 AM »
This is good news and I just ordered one (great timing..)

I have stripped my gear for the second time on a brand new Preciso  :-[  and the nylon gear could be the weak link here.

I was grinding some light roasted Ethiopians on a setting of "9" for espresso (a relatively hard bean)  when this happened again.  Either I'm incredibly unlucky or the nylon gear is more vulnerable than people realize.

Anyhow.. I'll make the repair and see what happens..

Marshall_S

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:04:45 PM »
Here's a footnote:

The Virtuoso Preciso comes with the metal gear and, yes, I stripped two of them (back to back)  with some lightly roasted Ethiopians on an espresso setting of "9".  This is a very hard bean and roasts very unevenly. My guess is that one of the lighter beans was hard as a rock and did the damage. 

As always, the folks at Baratza were very responsive and accommodating...