Author Topic: Bunn Trifecta Home - New Product Debut at CoffeeCon 2012  (Read 8953 times)

EricBNC

Bunn Trifecta Home - New Product Debut at CoffeeCon 2012
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:13:26 AM »
Another good reason to go to CoffeeCon 2012 Feb 25th:

The Bunn Trifecta comes home, or at least a home version is being unveiled at the event - $500 and you are making a perfect cup every time.

Kevin Sinnott posted a glowing review on The Coffee Companion blog site:

http://coffeecompanion.com/2012/02/bunn-trifecta-home-review/

thejavaman

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:45:36 AM »
I'd love to test this sucker out.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Tex

Re: Bunn Trifecta Home - New Product Debut at CoffeeCon 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:02:42 AM »
Early beta testing featured direct injection.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:29:34 AM »
@ $500.00 I would expect a perfect cup of coffee every time.

Seriously ... is this what it has come to ... $500.00 to make a perfect cup of coffee?

I have a B&D 1 cup brewer that reaches 195 degrees and makes a great cup of coffee for $20.00.

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:32:44 AM »
Compare that to the perfect shot of espresso. I agree the $500 is a bit much to swallow but look at the amount of tech involved compared that $20 B&D brewer.

$350 seems like a better price point.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:34:32 AM »
The question is how much technology do you need to produce a good cup of coffee.

The question that seems to be put forward is how much will someone pay for a good cup of coffee.

:-X
lp, 7-Ski

jbviau

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 07:24:02 AM »
Healthy skepticism is great, but I'm at least open to the idea that a machine like this could do single-cup coffee brewing better than I can manually. Controlled, repeatable agitation--it's like a robot barista!

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:34:36 AM »
I wonder if that is made out of plastic or brushed metal. Those attending please demo it if they are doing demos and report back!

To Yakster, Most people today are more concerned with convenience over quality. That is how places like fast food restaurants make so much money. Everyone at this point has to know it is bad for you, some people care and others do not, but regardless 9/10 people still eat it on a regular basis out of convenience even though a homemade burger would taste better, be healthier, and cost about the same to make. Most people will pay much more for convenience too. It is the American way!

A perfect example is my roommate. He buys bulk coffee from Costco when I have told him on several occasions I will show him how to use my roasting equipment. All I ask is that he reimburses me for the actual cost of the beans he uses. I have over 150lbs of beans and he still buys 5lb bags of coffee that is 'bold' and old.

The Trifecta definitely looks cool! Has anyone here used the commercial model? If it ends up being a promising unit, maybe I can get distro rights to sell it on my website and give a group buy deal :) !

Tex

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 07:42:53 AM »
IMO, there are several better ways to achieve coffee perfection. An inverted press pot doesn't seem to offer anything I'd pay more than a few bucks for; say the price of an Aeropress.

Innovation just to add complexity to a simple process can't be a good thing!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:56:13 AM by Tex »

EricBNC

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
I signed up for a slot in the morning to spend some time with one of these machines.  I look at it as a glass half full machine - if it brews as nice a cup as the Commercial Trifecta that would set you back almost three grand then Bunn has worked some magic.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 01:55:27 PM »

100% in agreement.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

thejavaman

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 03:30:47 PM »
...I signed up for a slot in the morning to spend some time with one of these machines...

Please keep us posted on your impressions of it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

EricBNC

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »
IMO, there are several better ways to achieve coffee perfection. An inverted press pot doesn't seem to offer anything I'd pay more than a few bucks for; say the price of an Aeropress.

When you compared the Trifecta Home to these other, better (because the word is red?) methods in blind cupping - what results do you find in your notes that are worth sharing?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
The main key to drip coffee is getting the right temperature of water to the grounds.
I have a pot I picked up for free.   Actually it was a double,  two pots on the same stand, you could turn each on or off as needed, each had it's seperate resivoir etc.

Long story short, the 'hot water pipe' from the heater ran right up through the water tank in the back and cooled down a lot.  I put some insulation over it and it spit out 200 plus degree water on the grounds now!!  The thing could not have cost more than 40 to 50 bucks at the store yet brewed an awesome cup of coffee now that the water temp was correct.  From what I have seen, most 'general' coffee pots are easily 'fixable' to spit out the correct temp of water.

Why pay 200 for a technivorn, or 500 for this when a bit  of tinkering and an 'ordinairy' pot can make a great cup of coffee, unless you just HAVE to brag how much money you spent on your machine to your friends?

Just my two coppers... (which if they are true copper pennies are actually worth about 3.7 cents now)

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »

When you compared the Trifecta Home to these other, better (because the word is red?) methods in blind cupping - what results do you find in your notes that are worth sharing?

Since I don't like French press, almost anything is better IMO.