Author Topic: Bunn Trifecta Home - New Product Debut at CoffeeCon 2012  (Read 8954 times)

EricBNC

Re: Bunn Trifecta Home - New Product Debut at CoffeeCon 2012
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 05:34:26 AM »
Wow, three sessions full already?

I wonder if Kevin and Pat knew what they were getting in for. Planning for 1000 . . . what if they get 2000?  =8^o

The Trifecta's pretty cool. It's definitely on my "get one" list -- but (a) so's a lot of other stuff -- including a different house, and (b) I'll probably still make most of my best coffee with a Hario or some other manual pourover. Or an Aero. Oh, yeah -- (c) some good Espresso hardware. Oh heck, (d) world peace. It's as likely as any of that other stuff.   ;)

The Trifecta slots in the BUNN lab are full until 1 pm - I guess there will be at least 56 of us there!  :D

http://coffeecon2012.eventbrite.com/

Seriously though, the Trifecta commerial brewer might not make everyone's favorite cup but enough people like what they taste - a quick search finds many positive comments.  This brewer uses the same technology so the coffee is likely good from it as well. 

Price is relative - ask Warrior as he rolls out a line of Luxury levers.  If you would drop $300 on a Technivorm to get the cup of your dreams then you might go $500, or $399 on sale (my wish) with a decent 20% off coupon from a vendor.

I am just stoked to be able to try it out for an hour - with professional assistance, likely some excellent coffee, a nice grinder, and another coffee enthusiast since each of the seven machines will have two participants per hour.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 05:43:03 AM »

(PS ... Your Nick Dias got beat  ;D)

:)

If you let a guy run all night and still out point you, you deserve to lose.
I'm guessing his camp has found some new motivation.

Did you watch the same fight?

It's not called running, it's called guerilla warfare. It's not called outpointing it's called significant strikes:

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/02/condit-vs-diaz-official-ufc-statistics.html

Condit made Diaz look like an amateur.

+1

I remember at certain points Diaz was caught standing there and Condit was landing strike after strike.

I think he was actually kind of stunned.

That kicking his front leg worked like a charm ... after a while he put his other leg forward due to the pain.

The side stepping and attack plan worked masterfully for Condit.

I just loved the result.

The kicker was that Diaz said he was chasing Condit all night.  He first said that the UFC pays him far too much for what he does.  Then after talking about his disgust with the result he said he was quitting fighting because he doesn't get paid enough for that crap.

He would make quite an ambassador for the sport.
 :o

Thank god the right fighter one.

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 05:46:12 AM »
OK John, now I'm ready to hear the tale!

Something tells me that John's obsession is with the UFC fighter that he has been so wrapped up in.

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 08:17:58 AM »
Something tells me that John's obsession is with the UFC fighter that he has been so wrapped up in.

No, maybe it's about fighting the urge to sleepwalk.

Fighting the gravitational pull towards comfort and security that is so strong and seemingly safe yet ultimately destructive.

Maybe it's about the Matrix....everything is always about the Matrix, I think it's the Matrix....I'll let you know soon.

Cinch up your waders Tex you don't want none of this.  ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 08:37:36 AM »

No, maybe it's about fighting the urge to sleepwalk.

Fighting the gravitational pull towards comfort and security that is so strong and seemingly safe yet ultimately destructive.

Maybe it's about the Matrix....everything is always about the Matrix, I think it's the Matrix....I'll let you know soon.

Cinch up your waders Tex you don't want none of this. ;)

We need a front porch on this forum;
where we can pull up a chair,
drink RC Cola, and swap lies.

Like civilized folk!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:08:50 AM by Tex »

EricBNC

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 09:26:03 AM »

On second thought, wow, can't wait to try it.   :-X

I think your original post was an interesting dissection of Kevin Sinnott and The Coffee Companion - for all I know you might have been right on the mark, or on the other hand maybe you missed by a mile - I do not know since I have never met the man.

The link to his review was given because it was the only one on the web I saw for the home version of the Trifecta, reviews of the commercial version are more plentiful though.

EricBNC

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 07:42:30 AM »
I got a chance to play with the Bunn Trifecta MB over the weekend. here is what I found after a quick look:

Sample #1
When using the softest agitation setting this coffee starts with a bright fruity acidity  I could pick up on with ease and the long finish was caramel sweet. The mouth feel is soft but not tea like with respectable body.  Awesome cup.

Sample #2
When using the most agressive agitation setting this coffee presents sweet fruit at first but jumps quickly into a caramel middle and a roasted nut finish. The mouth feel is creamy with plenty of body.  Awesome cup.

Both samples are from Intelligentsia and both are the roaster’s Anjilanaka Organic Bolivia. Same coffee but two very different cups. In the morning if you want a bright eye opener, then go with soft agitation. After dinner if you want a desert cup then crank up the volume. This machine delivers.

Here are the tasting notes from Intelligentsia - "Silky and smooth on the palate, this year's Anjilanaka brings a balanced and steady character.  White grape, honey and apple skin notes give dimension without sacrificing delicacy. Burnt caramel and hazelnut notes mark the finish."

I was picking out these flavors like an old pro - before reading the description - along with a lady trying the machine out at the same time too. Amanda from Bunn said she had not tried this one so she sampled with us, noting the smokiness in the finish too. The Trifecta separated the flavors with the precision of a surgeon's scalpel adding intensity to the initial white grape acidity in sample one while making the burnt caramel and hazelnut jump in the second cup.

thejavaman

Bunn Trifecta Home - New Product Debut at CoffeeCon 2012
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I'd love to play with one of these things before buying one. What's the retail on these supposed to be again?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 02:20:39 PM »
$500.  But there was a 20% off coupon floating around.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
$500.  But there was a 20% off coupon floating around.

The code they gave out at CoffeeCon was only good this past weekend.

thejavaman

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »
...I'll probably go for the Behmor BraZen when it's available...

I'm definitely looking forward to the Brazen as well. I hope the $199 price point sticks & they start shipping soon...

jimbo

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 10:12:41 AM »
Saw this, and tried it at Coffee-Con.  In a word, unimpressed.  Looks cool, but the price has me shaking my head.  There's just no way for me to get to a justification for spending that kind of coin for something that really doesn't make a better cup than many other much less pricey methods.

Now, the Sowden 44 oz. I picked up is pretty sweet.  Only had one day to play with it before work forced me out of town, but I like it a lot!

Jimbo

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »
Well, I'll admit to owning one of these, and love it.   I can brew up a morning blend, then turn down the turbulence a notch for a Lycello.  It'a simple and repeatable.  That's what I want in the am.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:46:43 PM by sosha »
LMWDP #440

jbviau

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 01:52:08 PM »
I tried it in a head-to-head with a syphon and it was a dead heat.

+1. This is more or less what I posted in the Yama stovetop road show thread (http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=14337.msg236851#msg236851). I have a Trifecta MB in daily use and do love its precision and repeatability nonetheless. My impression is that you'd have to be a real siphon ninja to dial turbulence up and down the way you can with the MB.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »
I want (and can't afford) a Trifecta for one purpose: to dial in my roasts. Its repeatability -- coupled with a sound grinder -- ensures all variables would be controlled for except the roast. Cup a few different roasts of one bean in the same session with this thing, and even a dull palate like mine might be able to discriminate and judge things better.