Author Topic: CMA/Astoria (cafethema) Lever rebuild  (Read 6828 times)

milowebailey

Re: CMA/Astoria (cafethema) Lever rebuild
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »
Do you know anyone who can weld up those oblongs for you and re-drill it?
It's chrome plated brass, and nope I don't know a good welder, so I just bought a new one. ($61)

BoldJava

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »
Took the lever mechanisms apart today... :'(  bad news one of the articulations was really worn.  As were two of the 4 pins... so another $165 worth of parts.

1 new articulation

I have seen the yoke distortion on Creminas that you have pictured in the left photo.  Is all that because  o-rings should have been changed/lubed as well as shots have been choked, resulting in surplus muscle to pull shots?  I didn't realize that metal would "stretch" like that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:04:49 PM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
Took the lever mechanisms apart today... :'(  bad news one of the articulations was really worn.  As were two of the 4 pins... so another $165 worth of parts.

1 new articulation

I have seen the yoke distortion that you have pictured on the left on Creminas.  Is all that because rings have been changed/lubed and shots have been choked, resulting in surplus muscle to pull shots?  I didn't realize that metal would "stretch" like that.
I don't know, but I suspect someone tried to modify it at one time... or just a bunch of shots pulled on it without lube.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 03:35:22 AM »
I also rebuilt all three valves today.  getting the old fiber washers off was a chore, but they have all new seals now.

Project is sort of at a standstill until I get the rest of the parts.  Next week I'll post more.

Any pictures of before and after rebuild?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »
I also rebuilt all three valves today.  getting the old fiber washers off was a chore, but they have all new seals now.

Project is sort of at a standstill until I get the rest of the parts.  Next week I'll post more.

???
Nope, but I'm waiting on a washer for one of the valves.  I can take an after photo of it when I install the washer

Tex

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 09:07:10 AM »

???
Nope, but I'm waiting on a washer for one of the valves.  I can take an after photo of it when I install the washer

Take good pictures for your scrapbook and send it on. I've reserved a place of honor for it right next to your Sono! ;D

milowebailey

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 07:42:33 AM »
I cleaned up the group parts.  Here is a before and after of them.  Soaked all the parts in carburetor cleaner to get the grease and grime off, then a quick 5 minute soak of the brass parts in acid to remove the coffee grime

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 03:29:39 PM »
Jim Spain is correct ... you do good work!

;)
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 03:47:24 PM »
... then a quick 5 minute soak of the brass parts in acid to remove the coffee grime

Citric?

milowebailey

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 05:07:46 PM »
... then a quick 5 minute soak of the brass parts in acid to remove the coffee grime

Citric?
I've been using Muriatic Acid... it will eat anything (even chrome and brass if left in too long).  Only put Brass and stainless parts in it (the boiler I left in overnight).  You can put chromed parts in for about 15 minutes, but watch it while it's soaking.

Will attack varnish, fabrics, metals, plastics, most paints and many other materials.

I put about 1 1/2 pints into a sink of water.  It doesn't hurt porcelain).  I wouldn't put it in a plastic bucket... a metal paint can would work well.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »
That machine will be better than new.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »
I got alot (for Jeffo) done on the cafethema today.

Finished cleaning and assembling the groups.  It's amazing how much time it takes to clean things up properly.  Compressing the lever springs was a challenge, but once I figured it out it was not too hard.  Installed all new seals and O-rings, lubed liberally with Dow 111.  All pivots lubed with lever oil (from Orphan Espresso).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:00:08 PM by milowebailey »

milowebailey

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2012, 08:55:43 PM »
Then once the groups were assembled, I installed them on the machine, as were new steam wands and O-rings.

Now a waiting game, I found 2 more parts that need to be replaced.  It will be at least another week before I can fire it up.  So now onto polishing the Stainless.  Clean the panel, knock out any little dings and sand and polish.  The bottom photo is the first panel de-dented and rough sanded with 220 grit paper.  Then onto 320, 400, 600 and two grits on a buffing wheel.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:01:27 PM by milowebailey »

milowebailey

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2012, 09:05:13 PM »
There are two side panels that are not stainless that need to be re-powerdercoated.  They are currently black, but I think I might go dark red. 

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2012, 09:09:22 PM »
I like the red second out from the right.

Are you gonna put those nice wooden handles on the lever handle too?

:)
lp, 7-Ski