Author Topic: CMA/Astoria (cafethema) Lever rebuild  (Read 6829 times)

milowebailey

Re: CMA/Astoria (cafethema) Lever rebuild
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »
although the latte tasted incredible, the milk was over steamed in about 12 seconds.  The Steam wands are new Astoria with 4 hole tips.  I tried a 2 hole tip and it was waayyyy to much pressure.

Tex

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »
Have you measured the brew temps yet?

milowebailey

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2012, 10:53:20 AM »
Nope, I don't have my temp meter here at home.  It's at the cabin.

EricBNC

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2012, 11:31:36 AM »
That is slick. A friend told me that fast steaming is desirable once you get used to it because the milk is sweeter. I did steam milk with his machine and it did taste nice but I do not have much experience to draw from to support his statement.

milowebailey

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
I dropped the pressure to 1.15 bar and both the milk and the espresso seem sweeter.  It still is steaming faster than I'm used to, but I may just need to get used to it.

I'll check the temperature next weekend when I can bring my digital thermometer home.  In the mean time I'll just play a little and work on the sheet metal for the machine.

Polishing stainless take a lot of time.

Tex

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »
Nope, I don't have my temp meter here at home.  It's at the cabin.

The reason I asked is the Bourdon tube gauges are seldom accurate unless you have them checked by a certified shop. That's why I toss them and use a thermocouple, either inside the boiler or attached externally.

BoldJava

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
I dropped the pressure to 1.15 bar . . .

You asked -- .8-1.0 is the typical band on a Cremina.  I don't know enough about the physics to know if that is applicable to your big commercial slug.

Nice job, Larry.  Looking forward to some eye candy shots.

milowebailey

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2012, 07:32:37 PM »
some progress on the sheet metal.  I have all but one piece of Stainless polished and back together.  I put the side panel on just to see how it looks black (no I didn't clean it first :o) .... I don't like the black. I'm going red like the Sama next to it..

I realized a few weeks ago that the drip tray grills are missing.  I'm scouring the net looking for some.  I think any Astoria or CMA 2 group would fit.  Anybody have a set 8)

A little bling for B|Java
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:35:45 PM by milowebailey »

BoldJava

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2012, 04:02:37 AM »
A little bling for B|Java

A lot of bling.  Nice work, MB.

milowebailey

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
I finally measure the temperature inside the group basket today.  It was at 235.  I'm thinking that is too high.  What range should it be?

milowebailey

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2012, 01:24:11 PM »
So after a little experimentation I put the thermocouple inside a portafilter with coffee in it and tamped it.  The brew temperature was 218... too high.

I adjusted the pressurestat down until the puck temperature was 202.   This put my steam pressure at 0.85 bar according to my nanometer.    With the adjustment the water hitting the puck is now 224 instead of 235, so I was a good 10 degrees high...... I think....

After the adjustment the machine is pulling much better shots an steaming milk is as it should be.

jspain

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »
Larry,

I'm envious! Great job..... poor mr. sama looks like a baby compared to the new addition too the family!  ;)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2012, 04:37:27 PM »
Great job Larry!

When are you selling it and starting on another?

:)

PS ... how do the shots compare to the Sama?

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2012, 05:38:39 PM »
So after a little experimentation I put the thermocouple inside a portafilter with coffee in it and tamped it.  The brew temperature was 218... too high.

I adjusted the pressurestat down until the puck temperature was 202.   This put my steam pressure at 0.85 bar according to my nanometer.    With the adjustment the water hitting the puck is now 224 instead of 235, so I was a good 10 degrees high...... I think....

After the adjustment the machine is pulling much better shots an steaming milk is as it should be.

Looks like you're in the ballpark with your brfew temps. I put the t/c on top of the puck, next to the screen, figuring the brew temp is more critical than the finished temp. I shoot for 196°F to 202°F, depending on the coffee & roast.

Nice job on the rebuild; it's looking more and more like a keeper!

milowebailey

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2012, 10:14:47 PM »
Great job Larry!

When are you selling it and starting on another?

PS ... how do the shots compare to the Sama?

A buddy of mine was over with his wife.  We pulled 30 or so shots tonight (trying to teach him latte art).  One sink shot (1st one) and the rest of them.... dang, I'm lovin this machine.  Next up is getting the Sama and La Pavoni in the same ball park and then a lever throwdown....