Author Topic: Roasters Revisited  (Read 7228 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Roasters Revisited
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 05:49:43 AM »
Susan ... if you don't mind plopping down $180.00 you can always get this:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 08:04:48 PM by Joe »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

SJM

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
Thanks, MP.
I think I am going to order a Behmor today and just see what it does or doesn't do for me.
I know that one of the things I held against my UFO/TO set-up was the profusion of things that all had to be pulled out of a closet and set up and plugged in and I think I'm just in the mood for a quick and maybe only so-so but workable way to roast coffees when I get bored with the two available local espresso blends.  I'm thinking the Behmor will either do that for me or be able to be sold pretty easily on Craiglist.  I've lost my enthusiasm for a lot of modding and messing with stuff.

All input very much appreciated and I will report back...

SJM

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 09:59:44 AM »
Thanks Chris.
You answered my next question (do I need a Variac?) before I even had time to ask it.

I think what you suggested is that I get a Kill-A-Watt right off the bat and then use that to decide if I need a Variac.  Did I understand you correctly?

Susan

Tex

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 10:18:54 AM »
Why is it Behmor users feel the need for a variac but Hottop users don't?

SJM

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 10:25:58 AM »
My guess is it has to do with the significantly lower cost of the Behmor and it's less serious build. 
It probably just doesn't have the constitution to withstand the voltage changes that the HT has.

Seems to me that is a trade off I can live with, especially if it turns out that I don't need the Variac anyway.
Of course if I do, it makes the Behmor's cost that much closer to the HT's.....
Oh fiddlesticks....

:-))))

RobertL

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 10:38:04 AM »
Why is it Behmor users feel the need for a variac but Hottop users don't?

I don't think the roasters has anything to do with it. If I consistently got less than 120v I would have a variac to go with my Hottop. If Susan gets 120v or higher during off peak hours I don't think she needs one either.

SJM

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 10:42:36 AM »
Aha, so even a HT might want a Variac if my voltage were uneven....
Okay, definitely gonna order a Behmor and a Kill-A-Watt sometime today.

I'm guessing the Kill-A-Watt 4400 is all I need? 

ecc

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
Thumbs up on buying a kill-a-watt, what a great tool.  Any home coffee roaster that isn't using gas (or wood for Yakster campfire roasts) will be sensitive to voltage drops.

My Quest doesn't need a variac, but to get any consistency I use an external kill-a-watt (displaying watts) to know how much power I am using.  The built-in ammeter can be misleading when the RMS voltage is low.

Tex

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »
Off topic slightly; but why do some neighborhoods have significant power fluctuations and some don't?

My voltage is consistently in the 119 - 123 range whenever I've logged it, yet a friend in another sub-division just down the street has frequent fluctuation, dropping into the 115 - 121 range.

SJM

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »
Now that I have settled on the Behmor for my next foray, I have a few more questions before ordering:

While I would like to support Sweet Marias (and they are within 60 miles), they would charge me shipping, whereas Roastmaster won't.  Both offer 8# of greens with purchase.  Any reason I shouldn't buy from Roastmaster?  Any other favorite vendors for this?

And, does the Behmor now come with the small bean drum, or does that have to be ordered extra?  I vaguely remember that being a problem/issue when these machines first came to market.

I think with the Behmor I won't need cooling colanders or a fan?  Any other accessories I will need?  I can pick up a Kill A Watt at Home Depot.

Tex

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »
Now that I have settled on the Behmor for my next foray, I have a few more questions before ordering:

While I would like to support Sweet Marias (and they are within 60 miles), they would charge me shipping, whereas Roastmaster won't.  Both offer 8# of greens with purchase.  Any reason I shouldn't buy from Roastmaster?  Any other favorite vendors for this?

And, does the Behmor now come with the small bean drum, or does that have to be ordered extra?  I vaguely remember that being a problem/issue when these machines first came to market.

I think with the Behmor I won't need cooling colanders or a fan?  Any other accessories I will need?  I can pick up a Kill A Watt at Home Depot.

Do you have a small, portable fire extinguisher you can have at the ready? Not that a Behmor is unique - I'm always surprised at folks who roast coffee, yet aren't prepared for a fire.

SJM

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
Check.

I will be roasting on the back porch where I have a hose (always "on") that I use for filling the watering can for the hostas.  It would be easy to grab and aim if needed.

Tex

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 01:05:58 PM »
Check.

I will be roasting on the back porch where I have a hose (always "on") that I use for filling the watering can for the hostas.  It would be easy to grab and aim if needed.

It might be easy, but would you really spray an electric roaster with water?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »

All you Behmorites, do you let the roaster do the cooling?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SJM

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »
Oh my, oh my, now I guess the whole world knows that I have lost a few more marbles.....:-((((

Thanks for the reminder, guys, and just maybe for saving my life.
I guess some sort of a dry extinguisher definitely should go on my shopping list.

Susan