Author Topic: Roasters Revisited  (Read 7227 times)

SJM

Re: Roasters Revisited
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »
Like this?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 08:05:11 PM by Joe »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 02:13:27 PM »
I think with the Behmor I won't need cooling colanders or a fan?  Any other accessories I will need?  I can pick up a Kill A Watt at Home Depot.

All you Behmorites, do you let the roaster do the cooling?

When I do half-pound batches, I do let the Behmor do the cooling.  After hitting cool, I wait for things to settle down in the roaster and make sure that there's going to be no chaff fires starting up and I'll open the door and put a mesh letter inbox tray on the door of the Behmor to catch any flying chaff.  For larger batches, I may dump them in my external bean cooler and restart the cool cycle on the Behmor.

How long do you figure that takes, and do you compensate for that when targeting a specific roast level?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

ecc

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
Off topic slightly; but why do some neighborhoods have significant power fluctuations and some don't?

My voltage is consistently in the 119 - 123 range whenever I've logged it, yet a friend in another sub-division just down the street has frequent fluctuation, dropping into the 115 - 121 range.

The distance from transformer vs size of the transmission cables, size vs load on the outside transformer, size vs load on the substation, power factor, wiring size/length and other loads inside your house, etc.  Exactly like asking why your city water pressure is different at the sink than somebody two blocks over when you both get fed pressure from the same water tower.

Here in Indiana, the utilities are only required to keep voltage within 5% of 120v (+- 6) in urban and suburban areas, 6% of 120 in rural.  In the summer, the local peak load is so much larger than the median load, we would need a seriously expensive overbuild to do much better.

Tex

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
Off topic slightly; but why do some neighborhoods have significant power fluctuations and some don't?

My voltage is consistently in the 119 - 123 range whenever I've logged it, yet a friend in another sub-division just down the street has frequent fluctuation, dropping into the 115 - 121 range.

The distance from transformer vs size of the transmission cables, size vs load on the outside transformer, size vs load on the substation, power factor, wiring size/length and other loads inside your house, etc.  Exactly like asking why your city water pressure is different at the sink than somebody two blocks over when you both get fed pressure from the same water tower.

Here in Indiana, the utilities are only required to keep voltage within 5% of 120v (+- 6) in urban and suburban areas, 6% of 120 in rural.  In the summer, the local peak load is so much larger than the median load, we would need a seriously expensive overbuild to do much better.

Our housing development promoted itself as having a high "energy efficiency" rating, but I don't know if that factors into a consistent power level?

Offline paultflorida

• Standard User
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »

No affiliation with http://www.burmancoffee.com/roasting_equipment.html  but he will get his in stock in a week or two, so I am waiting. He ships free, and gives you 5 lbs , but you can pick from 15 or so beans on his list. I prefer 5# of what I want vs  8 # of what someone else chooses for me.
 :-*
Relaxing with coffee, cigar or pipe in central florida

Ray T

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 03:25:09 PM »
I think with the Behmor I won't need cooling colanders or a fan?  Any other accessories I will need?  I can pick up a Kill A Watt at Home Depot.

All you Behmorites, do you let the roaster do the cooling?

Yes with the door open

Offline paultflorida

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »
IT say 8 # regular or decaf, does he have an option to select what coffee origin  you want, I didnt see it.

Burman has a pop up to select which coffee from a list of 15 or so, plus 1/2 lb JBM,  so you can select which bean you want.

was just another option is all.

Relaxing with coffee, cigar or pipe in central florida

SJM

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »
It's true that Roastmaster will chose the beans for me, but....here I go....
I'm a gonna buy me a Behmor....

Yippee.....

Susan

SJM

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »
DONE !!!!

Thanks for all the input.
Just wait for all the questions that will follow.....

Susan

Tex

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 04:16:06 PM »
DONE !!!!

Thanks for all the input.
Just wait for all the questions that will follow.....

Susan

No, I'll just wait until you get bored with it and buy it from you at a ridiculous price. 8)

SJM

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2012, 04:18:25 PM »
go ahead.....hold your breath.....
:-))))))

Susan

SJM

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »
Do you have a small, portable fire extinguisher you can have at the ready?

Get this:  This suggestion was posted on Monday, right?  And that means I couldn't have ordered the extinguisher before Monday afternoon, right?  Well UPS just pulled up and I could not  figure out what was supposed to be coming.  Yup....the fire extinguisher that I ordered Monday afternoon is in my hand on Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. 

Whew....that's fast.
And ....it was free shipping.

Not everything is getting worse...:-))))

Tex

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 05:11:52 PM »
Do you have a small, portable fire extinguisher you can have at the ready?

Get this:  This suggestion was posted on Monday, right?  And that means I couldn't have ordered the extinguisher before Monday afternoon, right?  Well UPS just pulled up and I could not  figure out what was supposed to be coming.  Yup....the fire extinguisher that I ordered Monday afternoon is in my hand on Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. 

Whew....that's fast.
And ....it was free shipping.

Not everything is getting worse...:-))))

If it was my UPS driver the box would've looked like it'd been run over by an Abrams tank and the extinguisher would've been broken.

SJM

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »
I'll just bet you forgot to give him that dozen freshly laid chicken eggs the first week he started coming around on your route...... ;)

Tex

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
I'll just bet you forgot to give him that dozen freshly laid chicken eggs the first week he started coming around on your route...... ;)

Nope, I gave him the bird!