Author Topic: Roasters Revisited  (Read 7224 times)

SJM

Re: Roasters Revisited
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2012, 03:50:09 PM »
Okay, back to my fire extinguisher for a minute please.  I'm trying to break a lifetime of bad habits and read directions before I jump in too far, so this is the first fire extinguisher I have ever paid attention to.  (Yes, I have a few but have never 'paid attention' to them....would have to read the directions and burn up before I figured it out.)

Anyway, I'm reading these directions and have just one question:  is that red D-shaped gizmo at the top the "pin"?   Seems like it, but I'd rather not be having to ask you after I start and want to stop a fire....Right?  Right.

It's a Kidde  "Cucina" rated UL 10-B0C and the documentation is not bad but still inadequate.  It's white with a blue label. 

Susan

ecc

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »
This one?

SJM

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2012, 04:01:13 PM »
Yup, that one.
You can just barely see the piece I am talking about in that picture, but it is the only one I've been able to find.

So, yeah....izzat the pin?

Thanks

ecc

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »
Above the dial, keeping the handle from operating? Yup.  Bonus points for getting the food safe one!

SJM

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
Welll I lucked into the bonus points, but I'll take them as a hedge against my next major ^&*()%  :-)))))

Thanks for the help.

Susan

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 05:52:31 AM »
I think with the Behmor I won't need cooling colanders or a fan?  Any other accessories I will need?  I can pick up a Kill A Watt at Home Depot.

All you Behmorites, do you let the roaster do the cooling?
I think that NOT letting the Behmor do the cooling made a huge improvement in the flavor of my drip coffee. Inside the roaster it takes too long to cool, which gave a "flat" taste to the coffee.

When roasting on the Behmor, here is my routine for cooling:

Get Ove gloves ready, turn on fan for bean cooler.
After pressing COOL, I let the cooling cycle run 45 seconds.
Then press OFF, remove chaff tray, remove drum with beans.
With other hand, close door and press COOL again.
Dump beans into external bean cooler - takes about 1-2 minutes to cool fully to room temp
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

SJM

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 07:35:44 AM »
Thanks, Rick -- and everyone.

My excitement about this gizmo arriving today has been somewhat dampened by the demise of my car, my complete lack of transportation, and my need to go and buy a new car immediately. 
The Behmor may just get admired for a day or two while I source new wheels.

Susan

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 08:11:08 AM »
Susan, I am SO sorry to hear about your car problem - I hate it when the real world intrudes on my coffee roasting fantasy life ...

Here is the thread that convinced me to use external cooling for my Behmor, which contains this morsel:

"It appears that if it's taking more than 4 mins to cool your roast you will be losing significant amounts of sweetness in the cup."

SJM

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 08:16:41 AM »
Well, the car is what it is and maybe I've been looking for an excuse to get a new one.  Now I have to hone my car buying skills which I last used in 1997.

With my UFO/TO roaster, cooling was fast:  I poured the beans into a colander, poured them back and forth a couple of times and then put the colander on top of a small fan while I cleaned up.  By the time I had unplugged everything the beans were perfectly cool.  Guess I will use that method with the Behmor too.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »
I agree about the external cooling for larger Behmor batches, doesn't seem to be an issue with 1/2 pound batches though.  I do have a dedicated cooler / dechaffer that I can use to dump the beans into and if I use the Behmor to cool, I still run a vacuum and stir the beans with my fingers to loosen and rid some of the chaff.
Aha - I see ... I was roasting 13 ounce batches back when I went to external cooling for the Behmor.

SJM

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »
Oh I'm so glad  you asked, Chris.
I just drove in the driveway with my brand new VW GTI
I buy new because I don't know enough about cars to buy used; my current car was from 1997, so I get my money's worth.

Still....an amazing array of bells and whistles that would never have occurred to me to have sought out :-))))

AND, when I got home my new Behmor was sitting on the front porch.

What a day !!!!

SJM

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
Mmmmm.....I like to roast the Costco pecans in the oven.  Guess I'll have to try them in the Behmor next.
First of all I need a nap.

Then I will unpack the Behmor and decide what to roast first, probably one of the two espresso blends they sent.

Susan

Ray T

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2012, 02:03:26 PM »
Mmmmm.....I like to roast the Costco pecans in the oven.  Guess I'll have to try them in the Behmor next.
First of all I need a nap.

Then I will unpack the Behmor and decide what to roast first, probably one of the two espresso blends they sent.

Susan

Don't forget you have to the dry burn ,after you read the Manuel of course  ;D

Preparing the Behmor 1600 for Use:
Before first use, clean the interior of the roasting chamber with a moist cloth. At the same time check the cylinder, oven chamber and all areas of the chaff tray for stray packing material. If found remove. Then, insert the cylinder and chaff tray in their proper locations and close the door.
Press # 1/2 Start
This procedure, also referred to as a dry burn, is necessary to help eliminate any residue left in the roaster during the manufacturing process while also serving to “season” the roaster and door gasket. During the first few roasts you may see some very faint smoke from the exhaust or gasket area but this should cease as the system self cleans, seasons and fine-tunes itself. This same procedure is used for periodic system self-cleaning coupled with Simple Green, as described later in the Tips and Maintenance section
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:05:47 PM by Ray T »

SJM

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 02:19:45 PM »
It's dry burning right now....
rubbing noises...just how I feel when I wake up in the morning...

SJM

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »
Good grief, I have enough trouble keeping my chocolate addiction in check without combining it with my love of nuts.  And, no, I never thought about cracks when roasting the pecans.  I put them on salad with feta, sweetened cranberries (craisins), and a simple vinaigrette....delish...

Okay, back to my roaster.  I think I will take one of the espresso blends divide it into four (1/4# each), and run it through each of the Ps so that I can see how it treats each one.   Does that make sense to you?