Author Topic: Roasters Revisited  (Read 7226 times)

SJM

Re: Roasters Revisited
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »

The two espresso blends are both from Roastmasters.  The notes from them are brief but as follows: 
Espresso Milano:  North Italian...sweet cup....take to Full city prior to oil spotting and
Espresso Firenze:  berry complex...blueberry...roast to Full City... just as second begins.
I'm going to start with exactly what you suggested. 

I'm whipped.  I'll probably wait and start tomorrow.  Car shopping really took all the starch out of me.

And....the postman just dropped off my Kill-A-Watt.

And honestly I don't think I know what "fruit forward" means.  I want my coffee to taste like nuts and chocolate and vanilla....rich, deep, dark.   Fruit always implies something much tangier than I think I want, but my ability to talk about taste is still embryonic.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
Have you seen this recipe for pretzel turtles?  Pretty easy, I tried it out with the pecans on top to half-way roast them while the Rolos were melting.  I might try roasting pecans in the Behmor, but I'm worried they might break.  Do you hear audible cracks when roasting them in the oven?

I roast pecans in the oven frequently - they do not give any audible crack.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

SJM

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »
Nor did the walnuts that I just roasted for my dinner salad.

SJM

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2012, 10:10:08 AM »
Well, I just love this Behmor.  Nope, haven't figured it out yet, but that's to be expected.  I did two roasts, each weighing 1/4 pound of the same blend (came with the roaster), called Espresso Milano.  The first one I set to 1/4#, P3, B, and it looks like breakfast cereal.   The second one I set to 1/2# (even though it is really only 1/4), P3, B, and it looks like Charbux.   In both cases I resisted the impulse to add or subtract time because I really am trying to understand what the machine can and can't do.

Eventually I will roast something that won't end up in the compost pile....

Offline paultflorida

• Standard User
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »
I made some suggestions on the other thread, so far i found the correct weight for the roast has been fine, just need to tweek the time a little.

Im sure you will hit it great..
Relaxing with coffee, cigar or pipe in central florida

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2012, 10:17:34 AM »
Well, I just love this Behmor.  Nope, haven't figured it out yet, but that's to be expected.  I did two roasts, each weighing 1/4 pound of the same blend (came with the roaster), called Espresso Milano.  The first one I set to 1/4#, P3, B, and it looks like breakfast cereal.   The second one I set to 1/2# (even though it is really only 1/4), P3, B, and it looks like Charbux.   In both cases I resisted the impulse to add or subtract time because I really am trying to understand what the machine can and can't do.

Eventually I will roast something that won't end up in the compost pile....
I normally press the COOL button when my roasts get to second crack. That second roast looks like it went too long.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

SJM

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2012, 10:24:36 AM »
Sheesh, that second roast smoked me right out of the house....

By the way, my Kill-A-Watt indicates that my power stays quite steady between 121.6 - 122.?

At least that is not a variable I will have to adjust for on a regular basis.

Susan

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2012, 11:06:43 AM »
  I did two roasts, each weighing 1/4 pound of the same blend (came with the roaster), called Espresso Milano.  The first one I set to 1/4#, P3, B, and it looks like breakfast cereal.   The second one I set to 1/2# (even though it is really only 1/4), P3, B, and it looks like Charbux. 

Many espresso blends are heavy on monsooned Malabar, and the light beans in the first roast are probably that.  I would suggest not learning with blends.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SJM

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2012, 11:42:42 AM »
Good point.....Off I go to pick an SO for my next go-round.

Susan

Ray T

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »
Now you need  to move on to P3  8-12 ounce roasts ( Behmor sweet spot my .02) I never had much luck with #1/4 pound roasts.  Your not driving that new car around in first gear all the time are ya  ;D. Looks like outlet your using is a good one. 

SJM

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »
okay, so what I'm really gonna do right now is use up the rest of this half pound of a blend (sorry Peter), and see if the same settings that charred the 1/4# will be just right for 1/2#.

And,in fact, my new car has 6 (SIX) forward gears, which is three more than my first VW, and one more than my most recent car....so my situation in the car isn't completely different from the one with the roaster....

And....hey, I just found the light.....much better...

Susan

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:50:09 PM by SJM »

SJM

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2012, 02:08:14 PM »
Okay, now at least I am in the ballpark. 
I did this 1/2 pound at 1/2#, B P3 and hit the +++++ (yup 5 times, maybe 6), which means  -- as I'm sure you have been trying to tell me that B is the wrong setting for me, so we will move on later today or tomorrow, but....at least this looks like I will be able to drink it.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »
Okay, now at least I am in the ballpark. 

..at least this looks like I will be able to drink it.

Send those other two to Tex.

SJM

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »
They are already in the compost pile....

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
They are already in the compost pile....

Then he'll like them all the more.    ;)