Author Topic: Exotic Wood Tamper Handles and Such..  (Read 9852 times)

Tex

Re: Exotic Wood Tamper Handles and Such..
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Simpler ones that might give you some ideas?

They all require one to hold the PF in place.

A fishing rod holder might hold the PF in place?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:12:58 PM by Tex »

Offline rarebear

• Standard User
  • Rex Coffee Roaster
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »
SYP,
Is your PF straight or is it angled down?
I think your PF is not a standard 58mm?

I can extend the front and add an adjuster..

If you have a spare PF that would make it easy for me to fit it or a caliper and make a sketch with some sizes and then mail it to do the final fittings before I finish it up.

I think I can add a something to keep it in place while tamping..

Profitec Pro 700 - Mazzer Robur - North TJ-067 Roaster

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »
SYP,
Is your PF straight or is it angled down?
I think your PF is not a standard 58mm?

I can extend the front and add an adjuster..

If you have a spare PF that would make it easy for me to fit it or a caliper and make a sketch with some sizes and then mail it to do the final fittings before I finish it up.

I think I can add a something to keep it in place while tamping..

A straight 53mm portafilter. I can send both a bottomless and a spouted.

I am less worried about holding it while tamping but rather holding it for a second while I pour milk or perform some other task.

Offline rarebear

• Standard User
  • Rex Coffee Roaster
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 07:03:32 PM »
SYP,

Is the naked a different model or just a standard with bottom cut out ?

I'm thinking I only need the single.. I add a adjusting screw to support the handle an inch or two out or a small piece of contrasting wood..

Offline rarebear

• Standard User
  • Rex Coffee Roaster
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »
Here is some of the exotic woods I have..
Prices vary.. Like the Pink Ivory I got a deal on and it was only $41 ten years ago..
The larger amboyna burl pieces are $30-$50 as well as the macassar ebony
The other woods are $15-$30 for the whole blocks and some will make four or more tamper

I have some of claro walnut for no extra cost as I did the drying
Imaged below
http://www.google.com/search?q=claro+walnut&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2-E2UO6qLIn7yAHS14CgBg&sqi=2&ved=0CCQQsAQ&biw=1120&bih=603

Also I have a ton of bubinga african rosewood not fancy
Imaged below
http://www.google.com/search?q=claro+walnut&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2-E2UO6qLIn7yAHS14CgBg&sqi=2&ved=0CCQQsAQ&biw=1120&bih=603#hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-Address&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=bubinga&oq=bubinga&gs_l=img.1.0.0l10.98335.103417.0.105919.9.6.1.2.2.0.60.222.6.6.0...0.0...1c.9I3M4zOfc6c&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=8d5b2c765ae79668&biw=1120&bih=603

Full Size Image linked Below
https://home.comcast.net/~wizkidz/23aug12/big.jpg

ps: The woods in the upper image are shellaced and woods in lower have a thick coat of wax and will look much nicer in a finished state. These are just coated to help stock cracking for drying to fast..
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:17:18 PM by rarebear »

Cammie

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
Rarebear has kindly agreed to make some custom pieces for my Cremina 67.  He asked me to determine thread sizes for the original portafilter, the OE Penney portafilter, the handle, the boiler cap and the steam knob.  For the life of me, I find that I do not have the hand strength to twist off the bakelite portion of the handle or the plastic portion of the Penny portafilter.  And, I am unable to remove the steam knob from the machine.

I would appreciate the help of anyone who owns a Cremina to determine these thread measurements.  I'm going to try and warm the handle and penney portafilter to see if that will help loosen the plastic pieces.  Are there any other tips anyone might have to help me unscrew these pieces?  I'm going to watch the OE videos too in the hope that Doug and Barb have addressed this type of problem. Thanks  :)

BoldJava

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »
Rarebear has kindly agreed to make some custom pieces for my Cremina 67.  ...

You sneak, you.  Didn't know you had one. 

Mine will come off ('67 as well).  I have micrometers if someone will tell me how to give you an exact read. I have the standard and the Penney bottomless.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 06:39:29 PM »
SYP,

Is the naked a different model or just a standard with bottom cut out ?

I'm thinking I only need the single.. I add a adjusting screw to support the handle an inch or two out or a small piece of contrasting wood..

The bottomless portafilter is of the same machine but not made using the same mold.

As far as the wood I tend to favor red/brown colored wood without burling. I have cherry cabinets that would be nice to compliment.

Tex

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 07:55:03 PM »

Mine will come off ('67 as well).  I have micrometers if someone will tell me how to give you an exact read. I have the standard and the Penney bottomless.

This what you need?

Oops, no Olympia models listed - must not be worthy of reproducing by the parts manufacturers?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 07:58:54 PM by Tex »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »

Micrometers won't help much to determine thread size.  The best way might be to take the male and female parts to a good hardware store, see that size nuts and bolts fit, and note the thread size.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Cammie

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »

:)  Here's a picture of her Dave:

I managed to get almost everything loose by running the pieces under very hot water.  The one thing remaining is the steam knob.  Can you tell me how to remove this knob Dave?  Peter, I'm going to go to the hardware store tomorrow to match the pieces with their proper threads :)

Cammie

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone...found the solution for the steam knob at OE.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:02:12 PM by Cammie »

BoldJava

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 04:44:04 AM »
Here is how the Swiss Miss looks.  Have him work you up a lever handle as well. 

I knew I was going to do this once so I had a set made from Cocobolo tropical wood:

Boiler cap
Lever arm
Tamper
2 PF Handles and
Steam knob

B|Java

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:03:35 AM by BoldJava »

Cammie

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 07:33:35 AM »
Gorgeous!

Tex

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 07:40:04 AM »

:)  Here's a picture of her Dave:

I managed to get almost everything loose by running the pieces under very hot water.  The one thing remaining is the steam knob.  Can you tell me how to remove this knob Dave?  Peter, I'm going to go to the hardware store tomorrow to match the pieces with their proper threads :)

Looks like you've got a Macap auto-tamper setting next to your Cremini? If so a matching handle for it would look cool.