Author Topic: I think I need to get a Variac  (Read 9808 times)

EricBNC

Re: I think I need to get a Variac
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »
I roasted some of the Ethiopian Geredawha N2 recently distributed here by ecc using the Wearever popcorn popper with a tin can chimney and the chaff collector from my Melitta roaster. Considering that unmodified it will send beans into 2nd crack in something like 5 - 6 minutes, being able to get a nice 11 minute roast (not into 2nd crack) is pretty neat!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
I roasted some of the Ethiopian Geredawha N2 recently distributed here by ecc using the Wearever popcorn popper with a tin can chimney and the chaff collector from my Melitta roaster. Considering that unmodified it will send beans into 2nd crack in something like 5 - 6 minutes, being able to get a nice 11 minute roast (not into 2nd crack) is pretty neat!

You were controlling that with the Variac Eric?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »
Yes. I dialed up the juice till it hit 103 volts on the Kill A Watt read out. As first crack was finishing I dialed back to 97 volts and left it there till the roast was complete. 

Aromajunkie

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a variac. Right now I use a redneck attenuator to slow down the roast. A 100 ft H.D. extension cord.  ;)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »
Ok ... after a 13 day wait I've finally got my Kill-A-Watt. I don't know too much about this stuff but the KAW works like a champ and is very easy to use.

I took a couple of readings of my upstairs outlets and it read 121.3 volts.

More importantly I took the reading of the power-bar where I plug my roaster into and it also read 121.3 volts.

I'm now ready for the next step. How is it that I should proceed?
Plug your roaster into the Kill-A-Watt and turn it on. Then see how much the voltage drops with your heat at 100%.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »
Ok ... after a 13 day wait I've finally got my Kill-A-Watt. I don't know too much about this stuff but the KAW works like a champ and is very easy to use.

I took a couple of readings of my upstairs outlets and it read 121.3 volts.

More importantly I took the reading of the power-bar where I plug my roaster into and it also read 121.3 volts.

I'm now ready for the next step. How is it that I should proceed?
Plug your roaster into the Kill-A-Watt and turn it on. Then see how much the voltage drops with your heat at 100%.

Thanks rgrosz78.

Right now I've got my distiller on that power bar running. The KAW is reading 118.7 volts right now. It did say 115.2 volts when I first turned it on. The distiller uses 580 watts to run.

Does this tell you what you need to know or do I have to actually put the roaster on to properly assess?

Thanks.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2013, 06:10:27 PM »
Ok Chris.

This distiller goes to 10:30 pm.

First thing tomorrow morning I'll put on the roaster, take the initial roast voltage, and keep recording it every 2 minutes.

Would that do the trick?

lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2013, 09:11:48 AM »
I did a roast this morning with the roaster plugged into the KAW. What I ended up seeing surprised me.

For the first 10 minutes or so of the roast the voltage did a constant jumping up and down from 120.3 volts to 114.3 volts.

After the first ten minutes it went to 120.3 and did not budge. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

The wattage on the roaster is 1020.

So how about this performance?

lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »
Thanks Chris.

When it is doing the cycling it is a constant cycling. What I mean is that it is like it has a preset course and hits almost always the same readings down and then up. The cycling is constant and it does not favor staying at a lower voltage or a higher voltage or even a voltage that is in between the higher and lower. This is what I found rather odd when I was looking at it. Once it settled down to 120.3 it was absolutely constant with no variance at all.

Ok, I'll try another roast on a 20 amp circuit breaker and report back.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
After monitoring my line voltage with a kill-a-watt I have decided to get a variac. My question is, what size variac do I need for my hottop? I have done a lot of research, but can't seem to find this answer. Maybe my electrically challenged mind just doesn't get it.  :)
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
After monitoring my line voltage with a kill-a-watt I have decided to get a variac. My question is, what size variac do I need for my hottop? I have done a lot of research, but can't seem to find this answer. Maybe my electrically challenged mind just doesn't get it.  :)

If you look at the first post you will find that "the big 3 are Staco, General Radio, and Superior Electric.". I don't think you'll find anyone that knows about Variacs here on this site will argue the quality of anyone of these units. If you can find a reasonably priced 20 volt version of one of these manufacturers it should work like a champ for you.

I hope that helps.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:52 AM »
Thanks, I have definitely settled on a vintage American made variac. I just wanted to make sure that size matters. There are lots of the 10 amp and below available, but very few at 20 amp or above. There is also a fairly big jump in price between 10amp and 20amp, so I wanted to make sure that bigger was better before I bought one. It sounds like it's time for me to quit being cheap, again.  :)
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2013, 04:07:26 AM »
Thanks, I have definitely settled on a vintage American made variac. I just wanted to make sure that size matters. There are lots of the 10 amp and below available, but very few at 20 amp or above. There is also a fairly big jump in price between 10amp and 20amp, so I wanted to make sure that bigger was better before I bought one. It sounds like it's time for me to quit being cheap, again.  :)

That is where patience and perseverance will pay big dividends for you

They do come up from time to time; you just have to jump right on them when they do.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline bmock

• Standard User
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2014, 06:48:13 PM »
My bad, deleted this post. Found what i was looking for

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 06:53:51 PM by bmock »