Author Topic: How about this Sunpentown for SC/To setup?  (Read 9258 times)

farmroast

Re: How about this Sunpentown for SC/To setup?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 07:40:21 AM »
Looks like you guys have rigged your SC/TO setup to have software similar to a professional coffee roaster.

Do you setup up custom roast profiles too with the Arduino?

???
I didn't add that capability mostly because I'm not back to back production roasting. I let each batch speak to me and make manual adjustments along the way.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 08:13:50 AM »
Looks like you guys have rigged your SC/TO setup to have software similar to a professional coffee roaster.

???
I didn't add that capability mostly because I'm not back to back production roasting. I let each batch speak to me and make manual adjustments along the way.

I see what you mean ... kind of like being one with the bean.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 03:20:25 PM »

???

Same with me--I log and watch the data, but make manual adjustments.  In my case, though, I don't think I'm real good at doing it that way and I'm planning to do some automation soon.  I'll probably try to get my system working with Artisan (http://code.google.com/p/artisan/) somehow.

Farmroast:
2000 roasts!  Wow, assuming 1lb batches, that a ton of coffee.  I checked my logs and it looks more like 75 roasts for me...

-Phil

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »
Where do you put the temperature probes?

You bought the Chinduino ... where did you get the software to program it and how did you source the additional hardware to take to keep the temperature constant? I was thinking of maybe a digital thermometer with K-type probes inserting into roaster. The Chinduino sounds like you can do the same thing but holds future expansion possibilities.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 04:43:27 PM »
Where do you put the temperature probes?

I just passed them into the roast chamber as shown below: the higher one is the ET, the lower BT.

You bought the Chinduino ... where did you get the software to program it and how did you source the additional hardware to take to keep the temperature constant? I was thinking of maybe a digital thermometer with K-type probes inserting into roaster. The Chinduino sounds like you can do the same thing but holds future expansion possibilities.

I programmed this application using the standard Arduino environment from http://www.arduino.cc/, but I've done some other apps in BASCOM-AVR  (http://www.mcselec.com/) which I sort of prefer.  Initially, I built my own TC input shield (the Arduino term for a stacking daughterboard) but ultimately used one from http://ryanjmclaughlin.com/blog/2010/09/arduino-shield/ .  Unfortunately, these don't seem to be available now, so you should probably just use the (very popular) TC4  shield from http://www.mlgp-llc.com/arduino/public/arduino-pcb.html.  You'll also need a high current Solid State Relay (SSR) to modulate the power which you can get off ebay for several dollars. 

There's definitely a lot of flexibility w/the Arduino approach, but you'll need to invest some time learning about the associated electronics and programming.

-Phil

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
I just passed them into the roast chamber as shown below: the higher one is the ET, the lower BT.

May I ask what the ET and BT is?

The other thought I had was to put a PID, SSR, & K type thermocouples to set and monitor the roaster. Have you every thought about that?

I don't know if it would be possible to log data read from the PID to send to a Chinduino and then graph. Maybe even set up a link from the Arduino to the PID to run a programmed profile for the roaster.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »

Environmental Temp and Bean Temp

The other thought I had was to put a PID, SSR, & K type thermocouples to set and monitor the roaster. Have you every thought about that?

Yes, I have implemented a PID algorithm on my laptop.   No need for a PID controller/device if you've already got a microcontroller and/or a PC.

I don't know if it would be possible to log data read from the PID to send to a Chinduino and then graph. Maybe even set up a link from the Arduino to the PID to run a programmed profile for the roaster.

Yes, the Arduino can do all this, but I find it's easier to implement these functions on my laptop than on the Arduino.  I simply use the Arduino as an interface device to the thermocouples and the SSR.  All computations, display, user input and logging are done on the laptop.

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
This thread has strayed a bit off the original Sunpentown question, and I note with interest that http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=15589.0 is converging on a similar topic, but includes more/better background/info on the Arduino/PID side of things.

Phil

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 06:17:25 PM »

Environmental Temp and Bean Temp

Thanks. I now get what you mean.

Yes, I have implemented a PID algorithm on my laptop.   No need for a PID controller/device if you've already got a microcontroller and/or a PC.

Hmm ... that's interesting.

Yes, the Arduino can do all this, but I find it's easier to implement these functions on my laptop than on the Arduino.  I simply use the Arduino as an interface device to the thermocouples and the SSR.  All computations, display, user input and logging are done on the laptop.

Ok, so if I'm understanding you correctly you are using the Chinduino to act as a PID. The daughter board (TC4) is the interface tying the the SSR and K type thermocouples to the Chinduino?

Then you do a bunch of programming to get this going how you would like?

???
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 08:18:37 AM »
Instead of buying a new Sunpentown, I bought a very old (but like new) 1470 watt Galloping Gourmet Convection off ebay for about $50 (lucked into a local pickup).  I rewired to have separate cords for the heater (which gets controlled via my Arduino and an SSR) and for the fan.  I've never done a side-by-side comparison between a Sunpentown and a GG, but the GG is very heavy duty and, I believe, higher power.

-Phil

You say it is 1470 GG vs 1300 for the Sunpentown, so yes it is more powerful than the Sunpentown.

How much did the Arduino and SSR set you back? So your Arduino both sets and displays the current running temperature of your GG oven?

???

I actually had a bag of high power SSR's sitting around, so I didn't have to pay for that (surplussed units (what mine are) can be gotten cheaply on ebay).  Arduino's can be gotten cheaply, too (I recently ordered a 'Chinduino' from China off ebay for $13.  On my system, I have a digital thermocouple shield (see prototype picture below) that interfaces to two TC's (Bean Temp and Env. Temp).  The Arduino reads those temps and sends them over wifi (another arduino shield) to my laptop.  My laptop logs the data, makes some calculations and sends the PWM value back to the arduino which drives the SSR.  Arduino code is C and the PC code is Python.  The whole roaster assembly is mounted in an aluminum 80/20 chassis.  Note that instead of using a popcorn stirrer for a roast chamber, I made one out of a couple of cake pans, a drive shaft, and a variable speed DC motor.  I've attached a few pics.

Hey Phil ... I've been looking around and was able to find this:

Click on image for link.

This is $27.70 with shipping but from what I understand is the latest and greatest revision.

Is it worth the upgrade from the Chinuino?
lp, 7-Ski

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
If I were you, I'd probably just order the assembled, programmed and tested TC4 system for $89 from http://www.mlgp-llc.com/arduino/public/arduino-pcb.html that includes an Arduino Uno.

It looks like there may be some small compatibility issues between the TC4 and the MEGA 2560. 

-Phil

farmroast

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 04:16:16 PM »
If I were you, I'd probably just order the assembled, programmed and tested TC4 system for $89 from http://www.mlgp-llc.com/arduino/public/arduino-pcb.html that includes an Arduino Uno.

It looks like there may be some small compatibility issues between the TC4 and the MEGA 2560. 

-Phil

I'll 2nd the suggestion to go with the TC4, and there are several options and various software already designed. The TC4 project has been going for about 3+ years, all by the homeroasting community.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion pwest & farmroast.

I was not aware that the TC4 system included the Arduino Uno. I started reading through the start of the thread that brought about the TC4 on Homeroasters. It is a 38 page thread and will take some time to digest. Through Milow I know that the Arduino can have complete control over the Hottop. Does the TC4 offer the same control for an SC/TO setup? I realize there is no bean eject button on the SC/TO. The thought of having a device that you can download software for and run it is appealing as it is pretty near a plug and play solution.

Any insight you can offer on this is much appreciated.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline e.roc

• Standard User
  • Roasted and cracked... Artisan V
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 07:36:55 AM »
High Jacking this thread further.... Would Pwest or Farmroast (or both) be willing to take a couple of photos of how they crafted their stir arm assemblies?   A hand sketch or a brief description would be fine also.  I have been wanting to build something like this for a while but having some mental blocks. 

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Also, I have been using an SC/TO for about a year now.  Coffee used to turn out great... lately it is terrible...  If there are any experienced folks out there that could offer some consultation I would be in your debt.  I would be willing to drop a quarter to talk with anyone if that was acceptable.  Getting really frustrated.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »
High Jacking this thread further.... Would Pwest or Farmroast (or both) be willing to take a couple of photos of how they crafted their stir arm assemblies?   A hand sketch or a brief description would be fine also.  I have been wanting to build something like this for a while but having some mental blocks. 

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Also, I have been using an SC/TO for about a year now.  Coffee used to turn out great... lately it is terrible...  If there are any experienced folks out there that could offer some consultation I would be in your debt.  I would be willing to drop a quarter to talk with anyone if that was acceptable.  Getting really frustrated.

What make and model of TO do you have?

Maybe you you can provide a picture or two also.

Through my reading I have found out that eventually the TO fail and need to be replaced.

lp, 7-Ski