Author Topic: How about this Sunpentown for SC/To setup?  (Read 9259 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: How about this Sunpentown for SC/To setup?
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2013, 07:11:01 PM »
No ... not yet ... I won't get the GG until next weekend.

:)

I just found another one for a backup on ebay.   :)

Yeah ... there is a decent price on there now.

This one was $54 shipped, which is more than I hoped to pay.  But it's a GG, which I think are better than the new Sunpentowns, and that would've been $55 before shipping.  I have a few units that need repair, but I'm not in the mood to fix 'em, so this was a good option.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »
No ... not yet ... I won't get the GG until next weekend.

I just found another one for a backup on ebay.   :)

Yeah ... there is a decent price on there now.

This one was $54 shipped, which is more than I hoped to pay.  But it's a GG, which I think are better than the new Sunpentowns, and that would've been $55 before shipping.  I have a few units that need repair, but I'm not in the mood to fix 'em, so this was a good option.

Yeah ... I was fortunate to snag one for $50 with shipping in.

What repair do you do to your units?

Thanks.
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »

Thanks.

They've need everything under the hood worked on over the years.  I think one of them has a bad t-stat, another one was roasting slow and may just need blowing out.  Sometimes the connections fail because of the prolonged heat. 

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »

Thanks.

They've need everything under the hood worked on over the years.  I think one of them has a bad t-stat, another one was roasting slow and may just need blowing out.  Sometimes the connections fail because of the prolonged heat.

That's great to know. If I run into a problem with mine I know just the person to quickly and accurately diagnose the problem.

How many do you have in reserve? Do you ever plan on putting a TC4C Arduino board to control all the functions and roast profiling?

lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2013, 08:54:47 PM »
This will be the only ready-to-go backup unit, but probably could have 3 others working if I spent a few hours putzing with them.

I'm too much of a caveman to do the Arduino thing.  I've thought about split-wiring them and running variacs or something like Robert has.  But I'm just not motivated enough, since they roast pretty doggone good as it is.  My profile is so basic and has become intuitive that even running two of them simultaneously it goes fairly well.  I bypass the switch in the handle so the fan stays on while the heat is off, and have the t-stat's lead-time figured out, so they're controllable enough for this caveman.

If my SC/TO's were still my main roasting setup, I'd think about modernizing; after reading all you guys talking about it, it seems to be a good way to roast.  But they only see duty for samples nowadays.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »
that  TC4C Arduino could do all kinds of things to your new roasting toy   :o

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
that  TC4C Arduino could do all kinds of things to your new roasting toy   :o

You just want me to blow it up, so you can salvage what's left.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2013, 07:08:07 PM »
This will be the only ready-to-go backup unit, but probably could have 3 others working if I spent a few hours putzing with them.

I'm too much of a caveman to do the Arduino thing.  I've thought about split-wiring them and running variacs or something like Robert has.  But I'm just not motivated enough, since they roast pretty doggone good as it is.  My profile is so basic and has become intuitive that even running two of them simultaneously it goes fairly well.  I bypass the switch in the handle so the fan stays on while the heat is off, and have the t-stat's lead-time figured out, so they're controllable enough for this caveman.

If my SC/TO's were still my main roasting setup, I'd think about modernizing; after reading all you guys talking about it, it seems to be a good way to roast.  But they only see duty for samples nowadays.

Oh really ... so what is your go to roaster now?

???
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2013, 07:17:08 PM »
Just this;

But don't tell anybody, I'm keeping it quiet.

JW

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2013, 07:44:52 PM »
Ooooh. Pretty.  :)
I was wondering if you were ever going to post a pic of it. I had figured out a while ago that you picked up a nice sized drum roaster. That is nice!!!

JW

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »
Just this;

But don't tell anybody, I'm keeping it quiet.

JUST THIS?

That is impressive!

Quite impressive. Is that a Diedrich? Capacity?

lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
It's an Ambex YM-2K, about 4 years old, that I bought from a member in IL who doesn't hang around here much anymore, barko78.  It's great fun, roasting w/ my big-boy pants ;-), and I'm glad I learned to understand some of the principles of roasting w/ the SC/TO over the years before jumping into this arena.  But I need to learn a lot more about airflow to take full advantage of this drum.  And to top it off, rather than have it sitting around most of the time, I'm about to launch a website to hopefully make better use of my baby.  I just didn't want to post all this in its own thread when I bought it back in October, and give anyone the impression that I was being boastful or anything, and felt this little thread would ease me out of the closet.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2013, 08:50:59 PM »
It's an Ambex YM-2K, about 4 years old, that I bought from a member in IL who doesn't hang around here much anymore, barko78.  It's great fun, roasting w/ my big-boy pants ;-), and I'm glad I learned to understand some of the principles of roasting w/ the SC/TO over the years before jumping into this arena.  But I need to learn a lot more about airflow to take full advantage of this drum.  And to top it off, rather than have it sitting around most of the time, I'm about to launch a website to hopefully make better use of my baby.  I just didn't want to post all this in its own thread when I bought it back in October, and give anyone the impression that I was being boastful or anything, and felt this little thread would ease me out of the closet.

Boastful ... you ... nah ... you're very modest. Knowing you ... you will put a whole bunch of effort learning this thing and be an expert in no time.

You're now in the Big Roaster League. This will go well with your big-boy pants. You will just have to remember not to pound sand while you are roasting.

;)
lp, 7-Ski