Author Topic: I finally did it! Commercial lever  (Read 6401 times)

donn

Re: I finally did it! Commercial lever
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »
Good thinking, to get pictures.

It would be interesting to know what was going through the seller's head, when he or she decided to go with UPS after talking about freight.

I live in the land where espresso machines grow on trees, but we got ours on a pallet.  It worked out fine, and wasn't terribly expensive, but it requires some extra trouble and expertise on the seller's end.  My seller, for one thing, knew how to get it shipped at half the price of anything I could dig up, and presumably knew how to make up a half-pallet that would stay together, and maybe delivered that 200lb lump to the freight office since door-to-door can be a hefty extra fee if they'll do it at all (have a loading dock?)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 02:29:23 PM »
Jeremy, if you're tempted to take some keep-you-quiet cash and just get the machine up and running, remember to think down the road.  You may be willing to live w/ a few scuffs or a dent here or there, but some day you might be selling it and will want it looking in as good a condition as when you bought it. 
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

ecc

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 06:15:21 PM »
Wow, that's not a box! (my sympathies to everyone involved except the seller)

Cammie

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 10:28:27 PM »
So sorry you have to deal with this...seller should be ashamed for what has happened because he failed to properly pack and ship the machine.  I collect vintage cast iron pieces and have more than once received a box of broken pieces...a bit of history forever lost due to poor packing.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 04:57:26 AM »
Jeremy, if you're tempted to take some keep-you-quiet cash and just get the machine up and running, remember to think down the road.  You may be willing to live w/ a few scuffs or a dent here or there, but some day you might be selling it and will want it looking in as good a condition as when you bought it.

I started to go there but after the seller responded today offering $100, I decided to let them try filing the claim with UPS. I have however mentioned that they will deny the claim and that the packaging is unusable for sending the item back to the "investigation center".

Unless UPS decides to pay for the repair, I may be back looking for another machine.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »

I started to go there but after the seller responded today offering $100, I decided to let them try filing the claim with UPS. I have however mentioned that they will deny the claim and that the packaging is unusable for sending the item back to the "investigation center".

Unless UPS decides to pay for the repair, I may be back looking for another machine.

So why should you get stuck with the bill?

The seller was obviously negligent. A legal battle however takes a whack of time and money to pursue.

:-\
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
I don't think it will get to a legal battle. Ebay buyer protection will ensure that doesn't happen.

The next step is waiting on the parts quote. I think the seller is starting to realize that there isn't much they can do except either file the claim or pay for all the parts. I should be getting either the parts to fix it or UPS will pick it up to damage it some more on the way back to the seller.

A real shame since these are not all that common. The parts are special order and it is going to take 2 days to even get a price.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
Being the suspicious-of-ebay-sellers person I am, I wonder if the photo the guy put up wasn't even his machine and he was foisting a damaged machine in order to get it off his hands.

milowebailey

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 01:24:11 PM »
Being the suspicious-of-ebay-sellers person I am, .......
Yes, I can understand that since you were around B|Cory rod so long... :D

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 02:48:01 PM »
Yes, I can understand that since you were around B|ChippedCory rod so long... :D

FIFY   ;D

BoldJava

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 02:57:09 PM »
Yes, I can understand that since you were around B|ChippedCory rod so long... :D

FIFY   ;D

Must have broken in the mail...

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »
I don't think it will get to a legal battle. Ebay buyer protection will ensure that doesn't happen.

The next step is waiting on the parts quote. I think the seller is starting to realize that there isn't much they can do except either file the claim or pay for all the parts. I should be getting either the parts to fix it or UPS will pick it up to damage it some more on the way back to the seller.

A real shame since these are not all that common. The parts are special order and it is going to take 2 days to even get a price.

So you are opting to keep and repair the machine after the seller pays for the parts? Would it be worth just returned the damaged heap and try again with another?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 04:03:09 PM »
I am opting to go with whatever is equal to what I paid for. I will either be returning or repairing it. Home Depot run later on to grab a 220v plug and give it a run to make sure it is just cosmetic.

The price was right and it really seems like a well built machine.

Do you think I am too attached and should give up on it?

donn

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 04:34:43 PM »
You know more about it than anyone, how does it look to you?  I mean, aside from the damage (which could be more than you've seen yet, if it hasn't been up to full steam.)  Might take a piston out?  to see what you think of the moving parts.  If it's hard to get out, that's a knock against the machine I guess, since you'll need to do this occasionally to replace gaskets.  Rancilio is not a bad name, and the machine looks good from that picture ... ?  But they aren't famous so much for their lever machines, historically I think.

milowebailey

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
I am opting to go with whatever is equal to what I paid for. I will either be returning or repairing it. Home Depot run later on to grab a 220v plug and give it a run to make sure it is just cosmetic.

The price was right and it really seems like a well built machine.

Do you think I am too attached and should give up on it?
If the damage is only  cosmetic, and replacing a few sheet metal parts gets you to the machine you want.... do it.   Especially if levers are hard to come by in your world.