Author Topic: I finally did it! Commercial lever  (Read 6396 times)

donn

Re: I finally did it! Commercial lever
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
Do you know anything about the group design?  I guess from the Classe 6 lever parts diagram at espressoparts.com, it won't be the common sourced part, the Astoria or whoever actually makes that group.   I honestly am not up on the details, but there are some interesting recent developments in up scale levers that could work better for home use -- i.e., you wouldn't have to leave them on 24 hours for temperature stability.  Bezzerra Strega, Londinium, maybe others.  Some of them sold by people who know how to ship them.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »
I looked at all of those. Strega seems kind of cheap, londinium has some time before it is refined and well established and the quick mill was a quick attempt at taking on the home lever market. These are all more expensive than what I bought.

The rancilio group has remained relatively unchanged since the z series levers. I should pop it open again and take a pic for everyone.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »
Ok, I went to home depot and bought a 220v plug to run it off the stove connection and hooked it up to the water line.

Water was a bit yellowed at first but I flushed most of it out. No leaks and it is coming up to pressure and filling the boiler properly.
I then ran about 4 shots through at my current grind for my la spaziale. It ran a bit fast even at a higher dose but seems way more consistent than the la spaziale.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:24:05 PM by ScareYourPassenger »

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »
Latest update, the parts are hard to come by. Rancilio USA is reaching out to Italy to get part numbers and pricing.

This machine is really rare according to Rancilio USA. I will have to ask him how many sold next time they call.

donn

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2013, 11:15:12 AM »
The way I read it, the damaged parts are not only all cosmetic, they're pretty open to fabrication?

For example, scuffed lever handle -- people routinely throw out perfectly good lever handles and replace them with turned exotic wood.  If you know someone with a lathe, this is evidently not only easy but vital in order to justify having the lathe.

Panels might be an almost as common target for customization.  Don't remember for sure if I've seen any wood.   This is at http://www.home-barista.com/levers/;  I imagine that if you brought the question up there, a dozen or so people would turn up who had replaced their trashed panels with various stuff.  Original might still be cheaper unless you're really set up - even just raw materials, sheet metal is surprisingly expensive, unless you'd be happy with acrylic panels (it's been done!)  But sometimes it can pay off with a really cool custom look that you couldn't buy.

Here's an example, from a guy who I believe is setting his up in his bicycle shop near here -

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
The cost should be on the seller so pricing shouldn't matter. Having OEM parts is nice if I ever decide to sell it. WAF isn't high right now but so far so good. It is a huge machine!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »
Sounds like your getting there slowly but surely.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »
A quick update, the seller has stated that UPS will cover the damage but my ebay overage was about to expire so I escalated to them. I hope to have a better idea where things stand on Monday or Tuesday. Parts to repair are close to $600 plus shipping from Italy. Apparently, the single groups are all custom made to order from Rancilio!

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
Glad to hear your claim is progressing.

lp, 7-Ski

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
The result is in. eBay backed me up for a full refund and I sent the difference from the repair costs. I might be able to come out a bit ahead if I find a place that can pull dents.

220v install is planned and I bought a flojet.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2013, 12:21:11 PM »
Now installed! I still need to order replacement panels but I managed to straighten the feet, run 220v to the kitchen and adapt the flowjet to the waterline.

I have been preparing a bit and bought the new Cafelat portafilter, xt tamper, seals so I can rebuild it and various orphan espresso accessories and cleaning and rebuilding supplies. I got so distracted with everything that I am running low on roasted coffee!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:51:14 PM by ScareYourPassenger »

milowebailey

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »
We, clearly, need some updated photos of the project!

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »
Is the photo not showing up?

milowebailey

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »
Is the photo not showing up?
Dropbox is filtered by my work IT friends.......

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2013, 02:49:34 PM »
Glad to hear it is working for you SYP.

Let us know how the shots are.

lp, 7-Ski