Author Topic: I finally did it! Commercial lever  (Read 6400 times)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Re: I finally did it! Commercial lever
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
Is the photo not showing up?
Dropbox is filtered by my work IT friends.......

Fixed just for you:)

milowebailey

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »
Is the photo not showing up?
Dropbox is filtered by my work IT friends.......

Fixed just for you:)
Thanks.... that machine doesn't look too beat up, you seem to be making good progress.  Leverland welcome it's newest resident!

ecc

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2013, 07:37:05 PM »
Very nice!  Looks like the steampunk style has a new cousin, leverpunk.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
So, I found one drawback with the machine. The refill solenoid is quite noisy. It clicks loudly and refills at very slight drops in the water level.

It has a ball valve the seems to open or close access to a second lower boiler water filler tube. What might be the purpose of this?

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2013, 05:34:53 AM »
It is number 14 in the parts diagram that I attached.

Coffee is getting better as I dial it in. I had to grind much finer compared to the La Spaziale to get the flow close to right.
I need to figure out the routine for it though. The boiler likes to refill while in preinfusion which in turn causes the boiler to heat. I am not sure if this is good or bad but wonder if I need to change something.

milowebailey

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:21 AM »
My CMA has a manual fill lever and a autofill circuit.  I don't have the autofill circuit connected and manually fill it.  I think it is for when you only use propane as a power source.... is there an option for propane heat on yours?  If so the extra valve may be for manual fill.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2013, 09:15:50 AM »
The boiler likes to refill while in preinfusion which in turn causes the boiler to heat. I am not sure if this is good or bad but wonder if I need to change something.

My very uneducated guess is that even if the boiler element starts during preinfusion it won't hurt anything, since the shot will be over before the call for more heat will disturb anything.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
The boiler likes to refill while in preinfusion which in turn causes the boiler to heat. I am not sure if this is good or bad but wonder if I need to change something.

My very uneducated guess is that even if the boiler element starts during preinfusion it won't hurt anything, since the shot will be over before the call for more heat will disturb anything.
I agree with Peter

I assume you pull the lever down and hold for pre-infusion.... so you've pulled a relatively small amount of water from the boiler.... boiler adds that amount... and heater may or may not come on.  The water in the grounds is going to be pretty constant due to the group head mass (as long as you've had adequate warm up time)...

I don't think I'd worry about that.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2013, 09:38:16 AM »
My CMA has a manual fill lever and a autofill circuit.  I don't have the autofill circuit connected and manually fill it.  I think it is for when you only use propane as a power source.... is there an option for propane heat on yours?  If so the extra valve may be for manual fill.

No gas option on the single group. The 2/3 group have all the nifty options.

In fact, the single group was an afterthought since it doesn't have the cup warming option but it has the button and the lack of gas as a heating source. Also, the single group specific parts are not in the Rancilio parts manual. Rancilio USA had to contact Rancilio Italy to get the quotes for the bent panels for me and were shocked I even had the machine since so few were sold.

Yeah, having a manual as a backup seems to make sense, the only other though was that it allows draining of the boiler a bit due to the lower position and lack of a solenoid in the way.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2013, 09:39:54 AM »

I agree with Peter

I assume you pull the lever down and hold for pre-infusion.... so you've pulled a relatively small amount of water from the boiler.... boiler adds that amount... and heater may or may not come on.  The water in the grounds is going to be pretty constant due to the group head mass (as long as you've had adequate warm up time)...

I don't think I'd worry about that.

Thanks guys! As far as taste so far, it has exposed a whole new level of complexity. Well worth the trip to leverland:)

kaotep

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2013, 04:41:53 AM »
wow! that was quite a ride SYP. Glad to hear that it all worked out well :)

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2013, 05:03:55 AM »
It is working out great! I made myself a killer Americano this morning using some Wote Konga that is a couple days off roast and I am blown away by how fruity, fragrant and smooth it is. The appearance is even different with thick crema floating on top with a nice sheen of coffee oil. As Staylor puts it, I had an "el glopo" of a shot!

I am going to have to watch myself, it is getting to a dangerous level of addiction.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:06:07 AM by ScareYourPassenger »

kaotep

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2013, 05:08:11 AM »
you had me at wote konga and 220V. if ever you decide to sell that beast, i will call first dibs :D

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2013, 05:14:46 AM »
As long as I have place for it and the power, it will be mine:) Yes, my wife thinks I am crazy but she has now accepted it by allowing it into the kitchen:)

milowebailey

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2013, 06:48:48 AM »
It is working out great! I made myself a killer Americano this morning using some Wote Konga that is a couple days off roast and I am blown away by how fruity, fragrant and smooth it is. The appearance is even different with thick crema floating on top with a nice sheen of coffee oil. As Staylor puts it, I had an "el glopo" of a shot!

I am going to have to watch myself, it is getting to a dangerous level of addiction.

Looks like we may have a new candidate for "the mayor of Leverland".  I totally get what you are saying...