Author Topic: Where to purchase the best Stir Crazy?  (Read 1725 times)

Tinman

Where to purchase the best Stir Crazy?
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »
My 5 year old Behmor is shot. I'm wanting to go with a Stir Crazy this time. My first coffee roaster was an I-Roast, then I graduated to the Behmor.  The  Behmor coffee was never as fruity a the I-Roast. The Behmor was kept clean including the thermocouple area.  If I had the money I would probably purchase an Hot-Top but it's a little pricey.  Is the Stir Crazy my best option and where can I purchase one.

Thanks,

KIm

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Where to purchase the best Stir Crazy?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »
I would start with your local Goodwill. I've seen a few there. Craig's List would be my next choice for finding a cheap unit.

Offline JRosen

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
I couldnt seem to find one on CL. Target sells it for $27 brand new. The big cost savings will be on the TO side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline Alan

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »
The Stir Crazy is just the bottom part that stirs the beans. It has a heater but most people disconnect it. The Turbo Oven is what sits on top to provide convection heat. So you need both a Stir Crazy and a Turbo Oven as well as a spacer and a mod to replace the plastic stir rod assembly which will quickly melt

Stir Crazys can be found at Wally World. Turbo Ovens may be found at thrift stores or you can buy just the top from Sunpentown. I walked into Aldi and saw they had a turbo oven and picked one up for cheap which is what I'm using now. Have a Sunpentown TO waiting in the wings but these last a long time. Just hate to have one go down and not have an immediate replacement

Offline Alan

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »

I couldnt seem to find one on CL. Target sells it for $27 brand new. The big cost savings will be on the TO side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

You can put a SC/TO system together brand new (forget thrift stores) for just over $100

Offline mrjay

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 10:17:33 AM »
Have you checked out the SC/TO sticky thread in this forum?
http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=5033.0

An SC/TO is not very hard at all to build.  I found the most challenging task to be turning the 1.5" flat aluminum into a decent spacer ring.  In high school metal shop, that would have taken 5 minutes with the right roller.  I used a 5 gallon bucket to help me form it into the basic circle, but what I thought would be a 15 minute task turned into an hour or so of wrestling with that stoopid piece of metal so that it fits tightly onto the SC base. 

I got my first SC from a local seller on ebay and recently got a spare SC via craigslist - both were $10.  Brand new ones are $30, so it won't break the bank if you can't find a used one. 
I also got a TO from ebay, a Rosewill unit that was on sale at the time for $37 with free shipping.  This one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rosewill-R-HCO-11001-Halogen-Convection-Oven-/181197715523?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item2a3039b843

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »
An SC/TO is not very hard at all to build.  I found the most challenging task to be turning the 1.5" flat aluminum into a decent spacer ring.  In high school metal shop, that would have taken 5 minutes with the right roller.  I used a 5 gallon bucket to help me form it into the basic circle, but what I thought would be a 15 minute task turned into an hour or so of wrestling with that stoopid piece of metal so that it fits tightly onto the SC base. 

If you have a basement like mine with the metal beams down the middle, the 4" metal pipes hold up the beam are a great place to work the aluminum strip.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
I just use the Stir Crazy base bend it around, cut to length, pop rivet together, cut a slit for ejection done. The 1/16 1" 1/2 bends easy. I find Lowes carries the right stuff.

Offline Alan

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 02:02:23 AM »
For an easy pre made spacer just use a spring form pan (minus the bottom) like what's used to make cheese cake

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 02:32:29 PM »
I would suggest trying your local Craigslist.org listings for the a Stir Crazy and Turbo oven.

Hope that helps.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski