Author Topic: Sonofresco acting up  (Read 6891 times)

milowebailey

Sonofresco acting up
« on: June 09, 2008, 07:26:46 AM »
I know there are a few Sonofresco users out there.

Last night I ran into a problem with my Sonofresco.  During a roast it faulted out with a code 4, which suggests out of propane.  I had just put on a new tank.  I continued to try to get it up to heat... and no love.  I switched tanks again and got a code 3 error.  I tried everything I could think of and continued to get errors (2, 3 and 4 error codes).  I suspect it's the temperature sensor that gave up the ghost.  Have any of you had to change your temperature sensor?  Does this sound like it's the problem.

thanks

Milowebailey

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
Re: Sonofresco acting up
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 07:40:34 AM »
I know there are a few Sonofresco users out there.

Last night I ran into a problem with my Sonofresco.  During a roast it faulted out with a code 4, which suggests out of propane.  I had just put on a new tank.  I continued to try to get it up to heat... and no love.  I switched tanks again and got a code 3 error.  I tried everything I could think of and continued to get errors (2, 3 and 4 error codes).  I suspect it's the temperature sensor that gave up the ghost.  Have any of you had to change your temperature sensor?  Does this sound like it's the problem.

thanks

Milowebailey
I don't have a Sonofresco, but I can tell you that those gas valves sometimes can be a pain; have you play around with the tank's hook up?

Monito

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 07:45:19 AM »
Thanks Monito

The gas was getting to the burner... it fired up but would not go above about 300 degrees, it would then fault out.  I tried two different propane tanks and it acted the same with both.  I suppose it could be the regulator....

any thoughts?

milowebailey

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 07:58:23 AM »
I just bought a used one, and it arrived damaged in more ways than one.  That is not really the point.

After calling Sonofresco, I realize their support is great.  I would just call them and they will help you troubleshoot.

Just an FYI, mine is setup for natural gas, but I have the presumably brand new propane part that originally came with it (it consists of a box and pipe with the hose connection).  So if that is faulty, let me know, maybe we can work something out, as I don't see myself going from NG to Propane.

Chris

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 08:07:43 AM »
I just bought a used one, and it arrived damaged in more ways than one.  That is not really the point.

After calling Sonofresco, I realize their support is great.  I would just call them and they will help you troubleshoot.

Just an FYI, mine is setup for natural gas, but I have the presumably brand new propane part that originally came with it (it consists of a box and pipe with the hose connection).  So if that is faulty, let me know, maybe we can work something out, as I don't see myself going from NG to Propane.

Chris
Thanks Chris

I also bought mine used about 1 1/2 years ago, and mine was natural gas and I converted it..... so I have the natural gas conversion left over... I will definitely contact you if they think that's the problem.

thanks

Milowebailey

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »
I found the problem.  A rat had chewed through my Propane hose..... :tongue8: so I wasn't getting gas.

kwksilver

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »
I was watching this thread (with nothing productive to add). That is a cool ending to the story. I hope all is well now.
Felix

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 11:10:16 AM »
I found the problem.  A rat had chewed through my Propane hose..... :tongue8: so I wasn't getting gas.
That's why I have my Westie and a Jack Russell sleeping near my roaster... ;)

If it moves, its dead...except for frogs...

Monito

milowebailey

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 11:54:46 AM »
The roaster is in the Kitchen, but the propane tank is outside on the deck.... near the BBQ.  So I'm guessing a rat was perusing the BBQ for leftovers and then was down on the deck and thought hmmmmm what's this grey thing.... chewed right through it.  I'll post photos when I get back.... off to Korea today.

Anyway, all I have to do is pick up a new hose and my Sonofresco will be back roasting some of GCBC's finest greens.

Milowebailey

kwksilver

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 12:04:28 PM »
stop by blue note Seoul for me. Very good jazz.

milowebailey

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 12:24:27 PM »
stop by blue note Seoul for me. Very good jazz.

I'm staying at the JW marriott downtown.... where is the Blue Note?  I'd love to go check that out.

kwksilver

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 05:56:53 PM »
4-121 Myongryun-dong
Seoul, 11 Korea, South
+82 2743 8217

They are actually part of the real blue note group that runs the original in the village and the JP locations, but they keep this one a bit hidden. It is worth your evening.

Enjoy

PS: if you dial from inside KR, drop the country code and add the zero to the city code 027....

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »
I was watching this thread (with nothing productive to add). That is a cool ending to the story. I hope all is well now.
Felix

So was I (watching the thread) and glad that it ended very well. I have a Sonofresco arriving here in Manila in about 6 weeks, so it is good to know that service support is good.
No coffee, No workee!

milowebailey

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 05:15:17 AM »
So was I (watching the thread) and glad that it ended very well. I have a Sonofresco arriving here in Manila in about 6 weeks, so it is good to know that service support is good.
The Sonofresco machines are truly industrial quality.  I picked mine up used from a roaster who started with two of them and then moved up to an IR-15.  They were roasting 8 hours a day on it.  I've had it for about 1 1/2 years now with no problems at all.  I was happy to know that it was the gas line and not the roaster.  I talked to Sonofresco and he said to check the regulator and the gas supply first.... he didn't try to sell me anything.  Even though they sell regulators, he suggested going to Home Depot to get one instead.

milowebailey

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »
Here is a photo of the chewed hose.... Rats I say!!

Hose replaced and the Sonofresco is back in action. ;D

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:05:28 PM by milowebailey »