Author Topic: Sonofresco acting up  (Read 6888 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Sonofresco acting up
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 09:10:09 AM »
Well, my Sonofresco showed up damaged last week, so finally I think the parts will be here today and I can start roasting.  Thought I would post some photos on what UPS did to it.  The right angle metal piece in the last photo was supposed to be, well, at a 90 degree angle.  I cannot imagine the force it took.

milowebailey

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 09:15:32 AM »
You know, I seldom use UPS anymore because of how they abuse packages.  I normally use FedEx ground.

They must have dropped or thrown that box.  Hopefully it was insured!  I know the roasting chamber is about $100 to replace.

Milowebailey.

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 09:15:39 AM »
Geez Chris...................

Now I'm glad that I paid extra $$ to get my Sono crated and shipped via DHL freight.......but I guess it all about the packaging.

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 09:17:01 AM »
You know, I seldom use UPS anymore because of how they abuse packages.  I normally use FedEx ground.

They must have dropped or thrown that box.  Hopefully it was insured!  I know the roasting chamber is about $100 to replace.

Milowebailey.

It's actually $150.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 10:39:53 AM »
I had it insured for $1000, at least that is what I asked the gal who sold it to me.

In any case, the roasting chamber was $150, and the stainless steel stanchions and related parts were only about $150.  I think someone is making some coin on those glass roasting chambers  ;D

BTW, UPS damage claim process was the biggest joke.  After several days of them not getting back to me simply to set up an appointment, I finally got the direct number, and the lady there said I could email photos instead of having someone come out.  If they had only told me that a week earlier!!!

Anyhow, I am also convinced that UPS is abusive especially to large packages (though my driver is a pretty careful & cool guy).  And it was the UPS store that packed the thing (and charged $230 out the door to pack, ship, and insure it). That is what gets me - $230: highway robbery, and it still came damaged in more ways than one.  I think they did an OK job of packing it though.  We will see if UPS has the balls to deny the claim.  If so, the UPS store will owe me $300.

I just want to roast a pound of coffee.  Is that too much to ask?
 >:( >:( >:(

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 03:34:43 PM »
My gosh, you have to wonder if something crushed the box.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

kwksilver

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 04:02:16 PM »
UPS has insurance included in shippign cost, that is what i learned during my recent fiasco with that Saeco :p
I hope this turns out to be the case for you as well.
Regards,
             Felix

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 04:27:49 PM »
My gosh, you have to wonder if something crushed the box.

Looks more like they dropped it.

Nothing beats professional packaging for bigger/heavier items like this. When I got my Sono, the auction company required me to disconnect the unit myself; but a big-hearted person named Wayne Sudrick (waynes) volunteered to disconnect it for me. I arranged a professional crating company to pickup, package and ship the Sono (plus hood) out to me.

The 2 crates came in safe and sound in 2 separate, custom-made wooden crates with all the pads required to protect the machine.

$300 sure was worth it after seeing Chris's Sono.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »
UPS has insurance included in shippign cost, that is what i learned during my recent fiasco with that Saeco :p
I hope this turns out to be the case for you as well.
Regards,
             Felix

Yes, $100 by default comes at no extra charge.  You still have to pay for coverage above $100.

Started getting the new parts back together, and had trouble with the new bottom seal.  A call to Sonofresco revealed that I need to glue the seal to the metal base for it to work.  So I wait another 24 hours as the adhesive dries.  But other than that hiccup, everything else has been pretty straightforward putting back together.

milowebailey

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 11:01:41 AM »
It's a pretty simple machine.  When I changed my over to propane from Natural Gas the hardest part was getting the seal back on as Chris said.  Very reliable machine. 

The biggest maintenance is cleaning the roasting chamber.  I use a single edge razor blade (a tip from Joe).

I also use a tempurature probe down in the beans.  I have a multimeter that measures temp.  That way I can stop the roast at any time.

Enjoy your new roaster Chris!!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 08:46:24 PM »
I got everything back together, and I have done about 7 roasts so far.  I have about 3 more before I expect the new temp probe to get seasoned (at least according the instructions).

I have tried all sorts of beans that should roast very evenly, as well as reducing the load size to about 1lb 3oz, and I am still getting it a little bit of scorching even on roast level 2 or 3.  Level 1 seems to be OK, but the resulting roast is too light.  The resulting roast on levels 2 & 3 is fine, except for those few from the start that end up a little overdone .

I asked Joe already (he didn't have this issue), but has anyone else noticed some minor scorching in the first minute or two when putting in a new temp probe? 

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 09:00:20 PM »
I got everything back together, and I have done about 7 roasts so far.  I have about 3 more before I expect the new temp probe to get seasoned (at least according the instructions).

I have tried all sorts of beans that should roast very evenly, as well as reducing the load size to about 1lb 3oz, and I am still getting it a little bit of scorching even on roast level 2 or 3.  Level 1 seems to be OK, but the resulting roast is too light.  The resulting roast on levels 2 & 3 is fine, except for those few from the start that end up a little overdone .

I asked Joe already (he didn't have this issue), but has anyone else noticed some minor scorching in the first minute or two when putting in a new temp probe? 

I didnt have any problems when the roaster was first delivered but I think they re-tested the roaster for a ?? time or # of batches before delivery.  The real scorch problem I notice is when the top chaff screen gets a little dark, its amazing how a little clogging is a lot of heating in the beans.. I was told to clean the creen with the wire brush every few roasts and totally clean the roaster once every 50 pounds but I am soap and water cleaning that screen every 25 pounds or less.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 12:03:17 AM »
Actually, the very first roast starting producing embers, so I turned off the gas and examined the screen.  My guess is that it had been cleaned about 100 years ago.  Scrubbing with a bristle brush as instructed did nothing, so I soaked it in hot water & Cafiza, and then scrubbed it.  What a difference.

I will do the last 3 roasts tomorrow, and then see if it starts acting a little better.  I also want to get to Joe's and see how his operates for comparison's sake.

I am giving the 10 pounds to my wife's work, since they typically have the bad stuff in a can.  My coffee is always a treat for them, and now hopefully I can give them more since I have a higher capacity roaster.

milowebailey

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 06:55:54 AM »
My guess is that it had been cleaned about 100 years ago.  Scrubbing with a bristle brush as instructed did nothing, so I soaked it in hot water & Cafiza, and then scrubbed it.  What a difference.
Yep, I've had scorching with a dirty screen.  I soak mine in a oxiclean solution about every 2 or 3 weeks.  It come out clean as a whistle.

My theory is that the temp sensor is past the screen and is measuring air temp.  When the screen is restricted less airflow out of the chamber so the burner runs longer and the bottom screen gets too hot.  If you still have a problem drop your weight by another oz or two.  Depending on bean water content some beans may stay at the bottom and burn.  With too many in the chamber there is not enough airflow to rotate the beans and the dense ones burn. 

Once you have it all figured out you'll get consistant results.  And maybe like me.... want a bigger roaster  ;D

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 11:01:15 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I will try a few more batches (playing with the batch size), and soak/clean the screen again to see if I can clear up the problem.  It really isn't too much a problem.  If anything 5-10 beans get more well done than I would like (but not french roast or black even).

Maybe I will post a video if it persists.