Author Topic: Sonofresco acting up  (Read 6890 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Sonofresco acting up
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 05:31:20 AM »
Cleaned the screen some more (don't think it needed it), and just kept roasting batches.  Had Joe come watch a batch of Brazil, and though there were some that turned darker earlier, he said it was all normal.  I love the back to back roasting with no guilt.  8)  Roasted 8 pounds to send to my dad, just in the time I got home from work to bedtime (about 3 hours).  Pretty cool.

So now the big question:  do I sell my Hottop?  I would hate to see it go, but it might be hard to keep such an expensive machine around for a sample roaster or backup roaster.

Anyhow, I love the new roaster!  Thanks for all the help.

BoldJava

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 05:53:18 AM »

So now the big question:  do I sell my Hottop?  I would hate to see it go, but it might be hard to keep such an expensive machine around for a sample roaster or backup roaster.

The next Previously-Been-Owned-By-Chris-GCBC sale item.

B|Java

milowebailey

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 06:20:44 AM »
Chris

Keep in mind that one of the downsides of the sonofresco is you can't roast small batches.  Most samples are 1/4 - 1/2 lbs and it's difficult to roast anything less than about 9 oz on the sonofresco.  The roasting profiles assume 1 - 1.2 lb batch size and I've poched several small roasts.... they stopped at about 410 degrees... I've been trying to think of a way to restrict the airflow to the temp sensor to fool it into thinking there is a lb of beans in there.

So if you are not strapped for cash.... keep the Hottop.  If you are strapped for cash, let me know how much you want for it..  >:D

Milowebailey

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 06:36:42 AM »

So if you are not strapped for cash.... keep the Hottop.  If you are strapped for cash, let me know how much you want for it..  >:D

Milowebailey

Hey, line forms behind me...<grinning>.

Actually, I have a old beta hot-top that has been promised to me for the pick-up.  Peter is promising to use his post-secondary education to use to fix the cooling pan and then profile some of his vast inventory so I have to just show up and get the 1-2-3, off the shelf, instructions.

B|Java

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 07:25:41 AM »
Well, I still have a million poppers and an I-Roast 2 around, and Joe usually roasts for cupping anyway, so...

I have to think about it, but keep your eyes posted in the Buy-Sell-Trade area  ;D

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »

Keep in mind that one of the downsides of the sonofresco is you can't roast small batches.  Most samples are 1/4 - 1/2 lbs and it's difficult to roast anything less than about 9 oz on the sonofresco.  The roasting profiles assume 1 - 1.2 lb batch size and I've poched several small roasts.... they stopped at about 410 degrees... I've been trying to think of a way to restrict the airflow to the temp sensor to fool it into thinking there is a lb of beans in there.
Milowebailey

I tried a half batch (end of the 25# bag) in the Sonofresco at the coffee shop... it baked the coffee  :violent5:

I like the fact that I can go roast a pound of my greens any time I want in the Sonofresco, but I am having way too much fun playig with the small batches.  I would keep the hot-top for drum of it

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 09:54:16 AM »
Yeah, I am thinking about it.  I just think my small batch requirements are pretty low, and the 8828P was not cheap.  It would be pretty hard to go back to the I-Roast 2  :P

Anyhow, had my first bad experience (OK, second) with the Sonofresco.  I roasted some DP Sidamo last night.  The first batch was pretty smokey right at the end, but the roast level came out fine.  I chalked it up to some popcorn or some other debris.  The second batch had sparks coming out the top, then lots of smoke, then it did a safety shut down (and it wasn't that near the end of the roast).  It continued to smolder for a long time with small embers inside.  I eventually got the gloves out and got it all cooled down.

The screen was completely fine, the batch was 1lb 3oz, and the roast level was only 2.  I am not sure what to think about it, but I wonder for these DP coffees, if a slightly smaller batch might be in order?  I am also wondering if maybe the screen is just so old, that I need a new one.  They are only $25.  I am thinking that there was simply too much chaff in a concentrated area, and it caused an airflow issue.  I did a batch of Uganda this morning, and everything was fine.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

milowebailey

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 11:25:13 AM »
I chalked it up to some popcorn or some other debris. 
Chris I've never used my Sonofresco for popcorn.... only coffee.  :angel:

DP have roasted well for me. 

I've never replace the temp. sensor either, maybe it has to do with breaking that in.  I get some smoke, but never sparks.  Looks like you got it up to the 3rd crack.

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 11:32:18 AM »
Chris,

I wonder if the temp sensor needs to be calibrated to the controller board.

Also, did you check inside if a fan blade was jarred out of whack when that Sono was damaged?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 12:10:30 PM »
Chris,

I wonder if the temp sensor needs to be calibrated to the controller board.

Also, did you check inside if a fan blade was jarred out of whack when that Sono was damaged?

I didn't see anything about calibration in the instructions - you would think that would be mentioned if it was important.

If you are taking about the turbine blades, I am pretty sure they are fine since the airflow seems very good.  I will double check though.

I am going to call Sonofresco today or tomorrow, and see if they have any ideas.

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 12:16:28 PM »
I don't think calibration is something you can typically do at home without the proper instruments.

See if they have any way to test the control board and if you can send them that part and let them check it's integrity.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 08:14:28 PM »
I will call them tomorrow, but did 4 batches tonight at level 2 & 3 (Malawi, Panama, Harrar). They all were fine.

I suspect the Sidamo would still give me problems.  The question is, would someone else have the same problem with the same beans?  Joe has some of the same Sidamo, so I might have Joe roast a batch and see what he gets.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2008, 11:18:58 PM »
Well, Sonofresco didn't get back to me, so I haven't had a chance to roast the Sidamo - though Joe said he had no problem.

But now I have a bigger problem - my neighbors.  They are why I had to give up my smoker and real BBQ.  I am not going to let that happen with the coffee roasting.

Basically I need to figure out a way to catch the smoke. Not sure if an afterburner is what I need, or something different.

My fear is that a good one (whatever it is) is going to cost more than I am willing to spend.  Maybe I will start another thread...

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
Well, Sonofresco didn't get back to me, so I haven't had a chance to roast the Sidamo - though Joe said he had no problem.

But now I have a bigger problem - my neighbors.  They are why I had to give up my smoker and real BBQ.  I am not going to let that happen with the coffee roasting.

Basically I need to figure out a way to catch the smoke. Not sure if an afterburner is what I need, or something different.

My fear is that a good one (whatever it is) is going to cost more than I am willing to spend.  Maybe I will start another thread...

I supply my neighbors with coffee every now and then, especially when I'm roasting dark and the smoke emission is high. I haven't had any complaints yet.  ;)
No coffee, No workee!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2008, 08:05:38 AM »

I supply my neighbors with coffee every now and then, especially when I'm roasting dark and the smoke emission is high. I haven't had any complaints yet.  ;)

Long story, but there are a couple that hate me, and we live in a Townhome complex.

Bottom line, I need something so they shut up.