Author Topic: Painting a roaster  (Read 1948 times)

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
Painting a roaster
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »
OK, the Open Sky production model actually is getting almost done. I'll announce the Roast-off for this year (weekend before labor day weekend) when I know.

I'm going nuts deciding on paint.

Anyone here have any idea what the big companies do with their roasters? Dip them in van-sized vats, I suppose.  :-/

Seriously, this is getting tough. Food grade? Temperature resistant? Gah!

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
Re: Painting a roaster
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 04:00:14 AM »
Powder coat?
Catch and release - into the grease!

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:20:14 AM »
Baked enamel or anodization?

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:19:17 AM »
OK, the Open Sky production model actually is getting almost done. I'll announce the Roast-off for this year (weekend before labor day weekend) when I know.

I'm going nuts deciding on paint.

Anyone here have any idea what the big companies do with their roasters? Dip them in van-sized vats, I suppose.  :-/

Seriously, this is getting tough. Food grade? Temperature resistant? Gah!

Ambex Powdercoats their components..............

How are Ambex roasters manufactured?
The Ambex roaster design was created by Ambex, Inc. The manufacturing process is completed in 2 parts for overall production of an Ambex roaster. PART 1: The steel for the roasters is fabricated in Turkey. Once the pieces are complete, a powder coat paint is applied and baked on to withstand high heats. The body is then molded and welded together to form the shape of the roaster. This creates the outer shell for the Ambex roaster. Once the shells are complete, the roaster bodies are places on a container and shipped overseas to Charleston, where they will catch a train in port to head for Ambex. PART 2: Upon arrival to Ambex, the roaster shells are unloaded into the Clearwater, FL warehouse facility, pending final stages of production. When orders are placed for the roasters, Ambex manufacturers will complete all operations components of the equipment... including motors, burners, controls, electrical, etc... The functionality of the Ambex roaster is fully tested, then the roasters are cleaned and prepped for shipping to customer facilities. All operating parts are US shelf stock components that are easily accessible for replacement or repair, making service extremely easy... but even furthermore, allowing owners of the Ambex roaster to operate self sufficiently.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 02:53:50 PM »
So I can get that in a can at Ace, right?     ;-)

Offline harryho

• Standard User
  • It's a bit Nutty!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »
No, but you can get it from Harbor Freight........

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94244

You just need to find an oven big enough for your powder coated parts.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:38:02 PM by harryho »

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 04:06:34 PM »
Look to your local autobody/welding/fabrication shops for that, they are used to powdercoating tiny jobs here and there for Mr. M'Fundsalow with the effed-up muscle car that is in constant restoration.  If you offer some significant repeat business they will take care of you I'm sure, and if you have an interested kid who is available for the summer they'll hire him almost for certain - it is not rocket science. And you may even get some leads on some great cars...

;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 04:10:36 PM by PaulM »
Catch and release - into the grease!