Author Topic: Air Popper - Chaff Collector  (Read 1289 times)

winchestercoffee

Air Popper - Chaff Collector
« on: June 27, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
So I have been having fun with my little air popper but since my recent move to an upstairs apt I am having problems with the chaff. Normally I just let it fly up in the air and swept it off my back patio but now... with a wood patio and neighbors below... I can't do that anymore.

I have the top on the popper and that forces the chaff into an open shoe box but anytime I check the roast (the lid is yellow tinted and distorts the beans) there is chaff everywhere. I can be sneaky but would like to find a good way to be rid of my chaff problem.

Any ideas?

ButtWhiskers

Re: Air Popper - Chaff Collector
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »
Any ideas?

I have made several chaff collectors for poppers using 1" x 1/16" aluminum bar and steel screen.  Make 2 rings using the aluminum bar, one about 1/4" in diameter bigger than the other, and with the smaller one just a bit larger than your stack on your popper.  Cut a square of metal screen about 16" square, and make a 'mushroom cap' shaped dome with the screen, with the edges of the screen going into the interior of the larger ring.  Then shove the smaller ring inside to hold the screen in place.  You can slide this over the chimbley when the chaff starts to fly, and remove it usually after the first crack is completed.  Use RTV or rivets to hold the rings together (one inside the other, with the screen edges between them).

winchestercoffee

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 06:52:40 PM »
Looks great. I will have to give it a try.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 04:09:15 PM »
If you are using a Poppery I or popcorn pumper model you can just buy a freshroast +8 chamber w/ chaff collector. On the poppery I it might require some High temp rtv around the edge for a good seal, the pumper fits perfect stock.

Joe
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37