Author Topic: De-Stoner Machine  (Read 1290 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
De-Stoner Machine
« on: June 30, 2008, 10:39:45 AM »
Chris' exploits have me thinking I should build something.  That along with a stone of some sort going through my KitchenAid Proline grinder yesterday.  It didn't sound too bad; it just kept chugging, but I knew it wasn't a bean getting smooshed.  It could've been worse.  It could've been a hard stone and jammed the burrs.  But what I'm really worried about is having one of my customers show up at my front door w/ a ruined grinder.  That could potentially eat up a month's profits.

Who here knows the principles of the destoners that "pro" roasters use?  If I knew how they work, chances are I could hobble one together.

I'll bet some of you read the topic and thought it would be something to remove potheads from a crowd.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Stubbie

Re: De-Stoner Machine
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:19:31 PM »
I think that they use the concept that the beans are lighter than the stones.  Create a vacuum strong enough to suck up the beans, but leaves the stones behind...

-Stubbie

BoldJava

Re: De-Stoner Machine
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 02:55:20 PM »
Chris' exploits have me thinking

Noted it on my calendar.

...a stone of some sort going through my KitchenAid Proline grinder yesterday.  It didn't sound too bad; it just kept chugging, but I knew it wasn't a bean getting smooshed.  It could've been worse. ..

Who here knows the principles of the destoners that "pro" roasters use?  If I knew how they work, chances are I could hobble one together.

Since I am with stones, I was unable to cast the first idea.  With Stubbie taking the lead, this follows:

>>> Following roasting, the beans are cooled and run through a "destoner". Destoners are air classifiers that remove stones, metal fragments, and other waste not removed during initial screening from the beansPeet's Coffee & Tea. The destoners pneumatically convey the beans to a hopper, where the beans are stabilized and dried (small amounts of water from quenching exist on the surface of the beans). ..>>>

http://www.coffeefair.com/coffee-facts-roasting.htm

and

>>>Destoners have to be built to size and needs. He said I build them large and I build them small. No one size fit all. A roaster committed to the installation of an after-market unit has to consider his ceiling height, hopper height, and hopper size. It will have to be sized to your roaster or daily production. Does it feed your grinder or bagging machines? Do you want a [bold]variable speed suction fan that will accommodate both the light density French roasts and the higher density light roast coffees or just have a fresh air gate that is manually adjusted for the density of whatever coffee is being destoned at the time?[/bold].  If your roasting system is being computer controlled the input from the batch drop temperature can automatically set the destoner fan.>>>

http://www.primoroasting.com/article.cfm?id=37

Get busy hobbling ...<clump, clump...clump, clump, .... > sounds of Peter Frankschmidtstein descending the steps to his cellar, on his way to cobble.

B|Java
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:58:47 PM by BoldJava »