Author Topic: Semi-Annual Cleaning  (Read 1207 times)

ButtWhiskers

Semi-Annual Cleaning
« on: July 04, 2008, 02:28:49 AM »
Twice a year I do the major overhaul on the La Spaziale, around Christmas and on the 4th of July as those dates are easy to remember and I usually have a little time off (I descale the Bunn Airpot brewer as well).

I've had that machine for 2 years now, pulling at least 6 and as many as 20-30 doubleshots every day.  Conservatively I would say that I have pulled 7000 individual extractions now, or about 20? apiece from the $1400 that I paid for it (thanks Liftoff!).  In reality it is probably over 10,000 pulls.  The thing that really blows my mind is how durable it is.  I am running three filters inline including a ion exchange resin for removal of the predominant scaling metals (Fe, Ca, Mg), and they seem to be doing a pretty good job.  I hate to tempt fate, but I would expect this bad boy is still in his early youth.  Looks like it was a pretty good investment, as well - with the exchange rate disadvantage vs. the Euro, these things have gone up quite a bit.

Just wanted to post regarding the maintenance schedule - it seems to work for me - but I'm just kind of curious what other folks do...

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
Re: Semi-Annual Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 04:48:10 AM »
What do you consider major overhaul?

Monito

Bud

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 10:02:23 PM »

Ya it?s great machine, built like a tank, and now with Preinfusion available it will make an already a good thing even better.  I plan on sending my board in next week for the upgrade, so as long as I got the covers off,  I will give it a good inspection to make sure everything is right and tight and clean if needed, I don?t expect it will need much.

Good luck

Bud

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 12:44:52 AM »
What do you consider major overhaul?

Monito

Taking it apart, making sure that no sedimentation or scale is building up near the steam valve and hot water dispenser valve, descaling the boilers with citric acid and verifying lack of scale, replacing the portafilter/grouphead gasket, checking the pressure at the grouphead and the expansion valve, and cleaning all the places that are normally not in view.   I also replace my three water filters (sediment, activated carbon, and ion exchange resin).  Takes about 2 hours of 'hands on' time.  The thing that I need to figure out is how to calibrate the temperature...  Haven't messed with that yet, and probably won't as long as I am happy with the output.