Author Topic: Cleaning a Zass  (Read 1225 times)

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
  • I only have 4 grinders. I'm NORMAL!!!
Cleaning a Zass
« on: July 05, 2008, 10:45:50 PM »
Hi,

A German friend sent me an old Zassenhaus grinder, which I think she got from an online auction. How do I clean the grinding mechanism?

Thanks!

Bob

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
Re: Cleaning a Zass
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 01:16:07 AM »
Man, that is a well seasoned Zass!  ;D

If you could take out the burr assembly, you could use espresso cleaner to soak it in and maybe get rid of that muck. I have some Cafiza that you could try for that purpose. You could try grinding some rice through the mechanism also if you just want the burrs cleaned.
No coffee, No workee!

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 01:22:52 AM »
Don Dante,

As you can see, the Zass fits well on my coffee rack ...   :)

But I don't want it to be just a decorative item. I tried grinding some Sagada beans, wow, it grinds so well, even very fine grind. Perfect for my AP. I still have to play with it some more to check out how to adjust grind size. I'm disassembling it, but I don't have a vise grip so I can remove the handle, and the burr, too. Should go to the hardware soon and get a vise grip.

Bob

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 01:27:25 AM »
I just bought a Zassenhaus on eBay that needed some considerable cleaning (some rust, and enamel flaking off), and I used a Dremel mototool for the bulk of it.  I used a brass brush bit for the rough cleaning on the burr areas, and polished up the 'bowl' with a buffing wheel attachment with a little baking soda.  Seems to grind okay, but I want to go back over the burr edges with a diamond tip to hone them a little.

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 09:30:22 AM »
Will see what tool I can use for that. Maybe some steel brush? But I gotta get the vise grip first to loosen the handle.

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 06:25:41 AM »
much cleaner now, and i think usable. but still need to polish it so my visitors would drink coffee ground from this zass.  ;D

used only kitchen cleaning items (detergent, steel wool, unused toothbrush).