Author Topic: Rotisserie questions  (Read 7080 times)

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
  • I only have 4 grinders. I'm NORMAL!!!
Rotisserie questions
« on: July 06, 2008, 01:31:28 AM »
Hi,

I'm about to buy an oven toaster w/ a rotisserie, coz I finally found a 1,500-watt unit. But before I do so, a couple of questions ...

- I have a La Germania range, with 3 gas burners on top + 1 electric. Below is a big oven with a rotisserie, powered by electricity, where my wife does some lasagna and bakes a few things. It's not ideal to roast coffee there and use it for some other purposes, right?

- Alfonso, in his CG post about his rotisserie, mentioned about a slow RPM, but finds it still ok for coffee roasting. Is it possible to tweak the motor to increase speed and do no harm to it? I'm no electronics guy, but I know a some guys who can do the job.

BTW, the 1500watter I saw was HUGE. Like, maybe 24 liters in there. Costs something like $80.

The drum, btw, I'm sure I can go to a local tinsmith and do it for me, similar to those RK drums.

I want a new roaster coz I'm having difficulty making light roasts with the Whirley Pop. The 1C and 2C, sometimes there's no lull between them. 2C comes as soon as 1C ends. Maybe coz even though I don't ever stop stirring the beans, they just won't get as much agitation as a drum roaster. I hope to have the rotisserie ready when the Esmeralda greens come.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:51:58 AM by BobTimo »

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
Re: Rotisserie questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 06:26:13 AM »
Just get my iroast 2 Bob. Easier way than what you're planning to do. Might end up costing you less too.
No coffee, No workee!

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 08:27:22 AM »
iroast is nice, but too small a batch size for me.  :)  need a roaster that can do half to 1lb. behmor is ideal, but still waiting for the 220v.

has arnel gotten the other iroast?

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:36:08 AM »
iroast is nice, but too small a batch size for me.  :)  need a roaster that can do half to 1lb. behmor is ideal, but still waiting for the 220v.

Zip Joe Behm an email.  He had the 220V on display in Minneapolis in May and was just waiting on one approval.

http://www.behmor.com/contact.html

B|Java

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 09:29:04 AM »
Just did. Thanks, Dave!

Coz if it'll be available soon, I may have to cancel buying an oven toaster. I'll have a drum roaster made instead and roast manually like I've been doing for over a year.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:03:23 AM by BobTimo »

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 09:40:26 AM »

I have two spares, remember?  :angel: Don't need them now that the Sonofresco is coming.
No coffee, No workee!

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »
@Dan, will see who we can recruit into this hobby to get that iRoast.  :)

@Dave, Joe said the 220v Behmor will be out mid to late Fall; they're testing it now. Will remind the wife for her perfect Christmas gift to me.  >:D  But will get her that iPhone  3G first so she can throw away her Palm running all those medical programs...

Bob

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 07:35:41 PM »
I was thinking of converting an old rotisserie but I don't think the one I has is got what it takes to roast...   makes a mean prime rib though    ;D

I used a small portable gas grill, Behmor fine screen drum and a cordless drill (plus a few bits and pieces) All I need is to get the bean cooler done and I will be ready to roast at the farmer market (just to draw in the caffeine-addicts)

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 06:08:44 AM »
Finally bought the oven toaster w/ rotisserie & convection fan. But as I went looking for material for the drum, can't find stainless steel screen, or stainless steel perforated sheet, around here. After some googling, someone on ebay (coffeeroastersclub) is actually selling drums made of aluminum.

So, what dya think guys? Aluminum, I suppose, will be okay? After all, I started pan roasting with an aluminum pot, then moved on to a Whirley Pop that's also aluminum.

Aluminum screens are easier to find...

Bob

jspain

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:55:04 AM »
Bob,

I have a five pound unit from the man you found. I have had that roaster for about 1 year. It is advertised a s 5# unit, but it works well up to 3#. The drum is great. No problems. The only issue I have is the fins in the unit are not configured as well as the Behmor. I believe that is the reason some of the varieties of beans don't roast as evenly as I like. Some varieties are fine, other not quite as uniform. The quality of the drum is excellent and I show very little wear on the drum after probabaly 100 roast cycles. I've probably roasted 250# of coffee in that drum. The drum may not be the issue with the uneven roast? It's not a major issue. It is a decent unit for a start up coffee distributor like myself. I do the majority of my sales coffee in that 5# unit. I do see where he sells just the drums. I still use the Behmor, IRoast or Nesco for my personal use and small batches. Hope this helps? Jim  ;D

Offline alfonso

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 07:59:32 AM »
Finally bought the oven toaster w/ rotisserie & convection fan. But as I went looking for material for the drum, can't find stainless steel screen, or stainless steel perforated sheet, around here. After some googling, someone on ebay (coffeeroastersclub) is actually selling drums made of aluminum.

So, what dya think guys? Aluminum, I suppose, will be okay? After all, I started pan roasting with an aluminum pot, then moved on to a Whirley Pop that's also aluminum.

Aluminum screens are easier to find...

Bob

Hello Bob,

That Rotisserie should make a fine roaster!  Was eyeing that model when it came out and was intrigued by what the additional airflow could do.

Stick with stainless.  The mesh is not that difficult to find and not expensive either. I could ask my guys to find some if you need me to.

Or you could get one from coffeeroastersclub, but it could cost you more than your rottiserie  ;)

Alfonso

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:59:59 AM »
That Rotisserie should make a fine roaster!  Was eyeing that model when it came out and was intrigued by what the additional airflow could do.
Yeah, looks promising. Can't wait to try it.

Stick with stainless.  The mesh is not that difficult to find and not expensive either. I could ask my guys to find some if you need me to.
Went to Cagayan de Oro this morning, and found stainless steel screen of all sizes.  :)  Got one they call "5 holes," meaning 5 holes in an inch. So that's roughly between 1/8" & 1/4", but not quite 3/16". Went to a tinsmith to do the work. I'm expecting them to do a good job, coz that's what they do all day. But dang, he's charging me $30 for the job.

I think I also need to increase RPM on the rotisserie. I talked to a technician at an appliance repair shop, he said he can do it. I just need to buy a motor that costs maybe $9.

Or you could get one from coffeeroastersclub, but it could cost you more than your rottiserie  ;)
I saw it on ebay, $59, perfect size (6x9") for my rotisserie. Plus shipping to my place, considering it's big, maybe too expensive.

I'm hoping the drum work could be done tomorrow. Then I'll have the motor changed.

Thanks for the tips!

Bob

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 06:12:54 AM »
Just made my first roast on my rotisserie project! Atta even roast, much better than my whirleypop or my pan roasters. I'm a little over the long roasting time, though. About 23 mins for it to hit 2nd crack, with a 1,500-watter oven toaster. But at least now I can do lighter roasts better.

Will post pictures tomorrow ...

Bob

Offline alfonso

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 09:01:14 AM »
Just made my first roast on my rotisserie project! Atta even roast, much better than my whirleypop or my pan roasters. I'm a little over the long roasting time, though. About 23 mins for it to hit 2nd crack, with a 1,500-watter oven toaster. But at least now I can do lighter roasts better.

Will post pictures tomorrow ...

Bob

You didn't waste much time putting it together.  That was some fast work on your drum ! Post some pics when you can   :)

23 minutes is way too long though ( definitely in the baked beans category ) With that much wattage, and just 1/2 pound, you should be hitting second crack way earlier. maybe 13 to 16 minutes.

Do you preheat your oven and drum before roasting? Also, does your thermostat actually cycle on and off?  It could be that the thermostat's highest setting is way below 450 F ( they're very inconsistent on these toasters ).

Be sure also to get yourself an oven thermometer so you can monitor oven temps and not just rely on the thermostat setting.

Don't worry, you'll get there. ;)

Alfonso

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »

Here's the drum inside the Imarflex 1500watt toaster oven w/ rotisserie.

Rather crudely made, don't you think? With welding marks all over. How I wish I was beside the technician while he was making it, so I could have guided him. The hole where to put the beans is rather small, that I had difficulty pouring them out after roasting.

It's a long wait! Actually, it's a little past 24 mins, coz I let it heat up for 1 min before placing the drum w/ the beans inside. And yes, the heater cycles on and off. Maybe I can tweak the electronics inside so it won't cycle on and off? I'll have an electronics guy do it. If that can't be done, then maybe I'll buy those small ovens you put atop a gas burner. I can still use the drum. BTW, I have an oven thermometer, as you can see on the floor, but I couldn't find a location to place it inside that's not too near the heater. But later I found a way to do it.

Because the hole in the drum is too small, it ain't easy pouring out the beans. I ended up cooling them inside the drum. It should be easy to make a stand for the drum with the fan below it.

Although it took 23 mins, pretty even roasting, though. I wouldn't want to try this coffee, though, coz these are actually reject Benguet beans a friend bought from the market in Baguio months back.

Bob