Author Topic: Rotisserie questions  (Read 7079 times)

Offline alfonso

• Standard User
Re: Rotisserie questions
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 09:34:38 PM »
Hey Timo,

I may have a solution for you. 

I used to do 1/2 pound batches on mine, but recently ( a few months ago )  added an additional heating element at the back.
Cost me all of P180 ( US $4 ) for the heater bar, and some elbow grease and electrical work.

I used to do 1/2 pound with similar timings as you ( 1st crack at 10 minutes, with 2C at about 14 )  This is with the drum preheated to 400F .

With the additional heater element, I do 3/4 pound in the same time.  one full pound will probably take me 13 min. to 1C and maybe 17 minutes to finish.

I will try to post a picture here sometime tonight.  It may be a useful mod for you.

By the way,  aren't you using the convection fan in your toaster oven?  That should pretty much solve your uneven roast I think.  Also, those look like bad beans in your last 1 pound roast.

Alfonso
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:40:01 PM by alfonso »

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
  • I only have 4 grinders. I'm NORMAL!!!
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 12:22:09 AM »
Pitures, pls, Don Alfonso!!! I'd like to do the mod. My repairman says he can replace the motor, too, one with much higher RPM.

My last roasting attempt, that was the same Kilong Sagada beans we tried at Don Dante's place. But 1lb I think is just too much.

The convection fan, it's located to the right of the drum, and that right side of the drum is a wall of stainless steel.  :-\ So I guess it has little effect then?

There's another Pinoy lurking in here, name's Benson, from Cebu, roasting with a Nesco. He's been texting me details about my Behmor look-alike, coz he wants to make one, too. We've been exchanging greens since a few months ago. I guess he's the shy type.  ;D

Benz! Let us feel your presence!!!

Bobby T.

bensonmirhan

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 05:39:49 AM »
hi Bob! bought my rotiserrie this afternoon at Marko and hopefully I'l have the roasting drum fabricated next week. I'll be in Manila this August 6 to 8 for the World FoodExpo.

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 06:30:48 AM »
Welcome, Benson! And let us know how your rotisserie will turn out.  :)

Food expo? You're in the food biz? Or you've set up you coffee house in Sugbu?

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 07:21:36 AM »
Hi Benson, and greetings! If you'll be in Manila with enough time to visit, come join us for a coffee session. Alfonso is Manila based, and we can get together to talk shop. BobT, come join us!
No coffee, No workee!

Offline alfonso

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 08:43:25 AM »
Hey Bob,

Here's a picture of the extra heating element.  I checked the wiring, switch and thermostat ratings, and they were all OK for at least 10 amperes, so I went ahead and added an additional element. attached it to the empty back plate.

The service center was glad to sell me the part, which is a bottom heating element.  This brings the wattage to a little over 2000 watts I guess.

Please excuse the battered stained look. Its been through at least 100 pounds already.  :)

Alfonso
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:59:41 AM by alfonso »

Offline alfonso

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 08:50:52 AM »

The convection fan, it's located to the right of the drum, and that right side of the drum is a wall of stainless steel.  :-\ So I guess it has little effect then?

There's another Pinoy lurking in here, name's Benson, from Cebu, roasting with a Nesco. He's been texting me details about my Behmor look-alike, coz he wants to make one, too. We've been exchanging greens since a few months ago. I guess he's the shy type.  ;D

Benz! Let us feel your presence!!!

Bobby T.

Don Timo,

I would replace the right end of your drum with a wire mesh to take advantage of the convection.

Benson,

Welcome to GCBC !

Don Dante,

Looks like we will be seeing Esmeralda soon!

Alfonso

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 09:14:34 AM »
Don Dante,

Looks like we will be seeing Esmeralda soon!

Alfonso

Si, Don Alfonso. And the dilemma will be - which one to use?

This -

To get this? -

>:D >:D >:D
No coffee, No workee!

Offline alfonso

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 09:40:21 AM »

Si, Don Alfonso. And the dilemma will be - which one to use?

Ah..

We shall of course let Don Dante with his gleaming armour,  have , as they say,  1st Crack at it.  :)

Alfonso

PS : I must say,  those are very nice pictures!

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »
Here's a picture of the extra heating element.  I checked the wiring, switch and thermostat ratings, and they were all OK for at least 10 amperes, so I went ahead and added an additional element. attached it to the empty back plate.

The service center was glad to sell me the part, which is a bottom heating element.  This brings the wattage to a little over 2000 watts I guess.

Please excuse the battered stained look. Its been through at least 100 pounds already.  :)
Thanks for the pix! I'll do the mod, too. Haha, your roaster looks like it was picked up from the rubble after a fire.  ;D

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 10:22:35 AM »
PS : I must say,  those are very nice pictures!
I thought you were using the 1D Mk2, and maybe upgraded to the Mk3. And now you have the 5D, too? Whoa!!!

Offline alfonso

• Standard User
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 05:18:18 PM »

Thanks for the pix! I'll do the mod, too. Haha, your roaster looks like it was picked up from the rubble after a fire.  ;D

Ah , but those are battle scars Don Timo,

My roaster is roasting even better now than when it was new.  It gets better as it gains experience !  ;D

Alfonso

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 07:15:17 PM »
Don Roberto is right, Don Alfonso. Your roaster appears battle scarred but I am sure that, as a well seasoned veteran, it must give you fantastic roasts every time you fire it up!   ;)

Hey BobT, I only have a 5D. Remember I sold my 1D a long time ago - too heavy for my aching neck when I have to shoot the whole day lugging it around.

Here are my troops awaiting the Gesha - eeny, meeny, miny, moe? -  >:D

No coffee, No workee!

Offline alfonso

• Standard User
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 08:36:03 PM »
Don Roberto is right, Don Alfonso. Your roaster appears battle scarred but I am sure that, as a well seasoned veteran, it must give you fantastic roasts every time you fire it up!   ;)

Don Dante,

You are right Concillare.  She still does a mean roast.  This morning I tried to roast a full Pound of beans ( 450 grams ) .
1C at 13 minutes, then I extended the roast to 17 minutes just before 2C.  Bean temp at about 230 C on my Hi-tech bean probe. ;)

Roast was even enough for me, but I think I will stick with 1/2 pound batches. With 1 pound batches, either they go stale, or I have to give them away !

Here is how she looks with the bean probe.  I thought it would make a nice contrast to your collection  ;D
and a shot of the 1 pound roast of course.

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2008, 12:48:46 AM »
@ Don Alfonso, hehe ... yeah, I'm sure my Behmor imitation will roast better as it gains experience, too, and evolves into perfection. Who knows I can put the cooler built into the Imarflex, too.  :)  You ever tried replacing your screen, with finer holes? I think I need to get 1/8" holes, coz even w/ my Sagada beans, some beans pass through the holes. I wouldn't waste some Ethiopians nor some Yemenis that way.

@ Don Dante, atta roasters you got there! I can also lineup my 3 roasters for a photo shoot -- the pan+eggwhisk, the whirleypop popcorn popper, and the Imarflex! Hahahaha!!! Eniweys, like you, I got into hacking the oven toaster in anticipation of the Gesha's arrival.