Author Topic: Recommendation for a Thermal Probe/Thermocouple.  (Read 1307 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Recommendation for a Thermal Probe/Thermocouple.
« on: July 07, 2008, 08:55:46 AM »
I am currently using a Craftsman multimeter with one of those flexible thermocouple probes. I have noticed that when using this setup with my iRoast that the temps jump around quite a bit. The temp reading will jump 10-20 degress and then go back down and kinda level out for 20 seconds or so and then it will jump again. Also, my multimeter is only accurate to the degree and I have heard some say it needs to be accurate to .1 degree. I'm also of the mind that the temps displayed are not correct. It seems the meter is off maybe 5-8 degress F.

I think that I am going to go ahead and buy a thermal probe/thermocouple setup and I would like to get something with data logging capabilities. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to get without breaking the bank?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Recommendation for a Thermal Probe/Thermocouple.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:11:24 PM »
I got the same thing but only a thermometer from sweet maria's.  (I believe the thermal couple is the same in this case)

Then I got a PID and when I put a (good?) shielded probe in the hot air popper next to the old thermal couple I notice the PID is slower to react... maybe too slow??   I hooked the digital thermometer and the PID to the same prob.... they are off each other a little.. then they sinkup at high temp... then they hold sink as they come down then they break sink but the one that was high is low?? The coffee is roasted, couple days go by and the coffee taste good...

I want to be able to match the Sonofresco profile for sampling and I want to experiment with what I am learning on line... I think the coffee bean is our perfectionist curse   :-\

crholliday

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:49:09 PM »
www.omega.com

They have two interesting options. For $95 they have a K type thermocouple with a USB connector which plugs directly into your PC. They give you the logging and monitoring software for free so you can log and watch temps at the same time. The down side is they currently are only available in 18" and 24" lengths. But you can bend them to fit as needed.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/TJ-USB.html

Then they have these:

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=HH802_803

You can get either the wireless receiver or a USB model for logging. At $155 that is a pretty dang good deal but you still need the T/C.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:36:17 AM »
crholliday,

Those 2 TP that you provided links for look very nice. They are currently at the top of my list. I like the strictly USB model but I would probably opt for the hand held unit, so I wouldn't have to have my laptop present when roasting.

I was listening to a CoffeeGeek podcast last night and Mark Prince mentioned the Fluke 52 series. I got a bit of sticker shock when I Googled the Fluke meters.