Author Topic: Espresso Equipment Advice  (Read 1178 times)

Offline shep

• Standard User
Espresso Equipment Advice
« on: July 13, 2008, 04:35:55 PM »
Even though I drink espresso every day, many of you have progressed far beyond me in terms of equipment and the knowledge of it. I finally am at the point in the roasting business where I might actually get to spend a little of the money I have made. One thing I want is to be able to produce a better shot of espresso, both for personal and professional reasons. However, I am beginning to question whether on not I really need to spend all that much money on one. In fact, the less I spend, the more I can spend on more important things, such as a new motorcycle (or maybe a bigger roaster)!

Of course the first purchase will be a new grinder. I have been using a Rocky paired with a Gaggia Coffee Deluxe for a couple years. The Rocky's limited adjustability has made itself obvious. So, knowing I will be upgrading the grinder, consider my machine needs. First, I am the only coffee drinker in my house...period! What a waste, huh? I make 1 to 2 double espressos each day. I rarely ever make a milk drink. Maybe once a month I will have a cappa, although if I had a better steamer, I might have more. I do not entertain, as I am an anti-social biker at heart, so I don't need the capability to produce a lot of drinks. That could change someday, but not likely in the near future.

I do not really have a price limit. I have always had the bad habit of buying what I wanted. But, I don't want to waste money on a machine I really don't need. With that in mind, if you were only pulling one or two shots of espresso a day with an occasional need to steam, what would you buy?

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Espresso Equipment Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:13:21 PM »
Hey Shep,

I originally had a Gaggia Carezza with a La Cimbali Junior grinder.  I know have the Isomac Tea 2 and I can tell you the taste of the espresso improved dramatically over the little Gaggia.  We can have heated discussion of which heat exchange unit is the way to go but I am afraid I will not engage in that one anymore.  If you like Quckmill then get that, if its Izzo then get that, if it is a Vibiemme then get that.  I chose the Tea 2 because I got it 8 months used and cost me $730.00 before PayPal fees with delivery included.  Best expenditure I did in terms of quality espresso shots.  Do be aware that the steaming is much different than the Gaggia's and although they steam like a Choo choo train you will spend a good time perfecting their steam management for good micro foam.

Grinder is very important ... Mazzer, Macap, La Cimbali, San Marco ... take your pick ... they are all great from anyone that I know that has one ... you'll be happy with any one of these.

Hope that helps.
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:09:56 AM »
Hi Shep, I read the specs and some reviews of the espresso machine you're using now, and it looks like you have a solid performer in your hands. You might want to upgrade your grinder first to a Mazzer or a Macap to see if the grinder-induced improvement in your shot quality will be enough to make you happy. On the other hand, I started with a Saeco super auto which I was really happy with until I upgraded to a Quickmill Vetrano. The shot quality difference between the two is very noticeable, but might not be comparable to what you're getting now with your Gaggia and what you would get with an E61 machine. Having said that, I have to admit that I took the plunge and ordered a commercial grade machine to replace the Vetrano which I have found to be great when I make coffee for just myself or for one or two more persons, but runs out of steam if people start asking for milk in their drinks. I am told that there is a noticeable improvement in shot quality from a home machine, even an E61 based one like the Vetrano, to a commercial machine which has a chunkier group head. That remains to be seen in my case.

So, if you have money to spare, and you're still not too happy with your shots after the grinder upgrade, then go for an E61 machine. There are many to chose from. I understand that not all E61 machines are created equal. The one with the chunkier metal in the group head supposedly has an edge in thermal stability and espresso performance. Then of course, there is the question of which pump you will go for? Vibe or rotary? Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:33:47 AM by Dante »
No coffee, No workee!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 06:36:08 AM »
With that in mind, if you were only pulling one or two shots of espresso a day with an occasional need to steam, what would you buy?

Something with these features/benefits but looked different.  :-\

http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/isomac/isomachexagon.htm#hexagon

John F
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison