Author Topic: Antique vacuum coffee pot question  (Read 1390 times)

waltfb

Antique vacuum coffee pot question
« on: July 20, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »
Hi All,

Today I finally found a vacuum coffee pot at a local flea market.  It's aluminum with a metal filter.  The bottom reads "Wooster DURALUX Ohio Pat. No. 153, 342.  The metal filter sits on a 3/8" diameter metal rod 4-1/2" long.  There are  stops above and below the filter disk to restrain it near the center of the rod but allows about 1" of movement up or down.  On end of the rod has a groove in it for an attachment that is not with my purchase.  I would assume it might be for a chain or spring to hold the filter down.  I tried the pot with just water and it seemed to work but didn't drain properly.  I didn't realize that it wasn't working properly until the next try when I put some bad coffee in it for a test and saw that the seal was leaking so there wasn't enough vacuum to pull the coffee back down.  The seal appears to be ok I just didn't put it together tight enough.  The weight of the rod seems to hold the filter down.  Is anyone familiar with this pot?  Does it need a spring or chain?  Any suggestions?  I amazed when I see on this list that people have bought vaccum pots for reasonable prices on e-bay.  I've been looking for a month or two and I haven't seen any bargains.  Thanks for any information.

Walt

BoldJava

Re: Antique vacuum coffee pot question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 04:14:51 AM »
f...  I amazed when I see on this list that people have bought vaccum pots for reasonable prices on e-bay.  I've been looking for a month or two and I haven't seen any bargains.  Thanks for any information.

Walt

Walt, I can't help with your questions.  RE:  Scoring vacuum pots at bargain prices on eBay...

I believe the article on vacuum pots over at Coffeegeek.com spiked interest for a period of time (it did in this household).  They will calm down once the readership is finished filling its need.  Or so my theory goes.

B|Java

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 11:02:55 AM »
Hi All,

Today I finally found a vacuum coffee pot at a local flea market.  It's aluminum with a metal filter.  The bottom reads "Wooster DURALUX Ohio Pat. No. 153, 342.  The metal filter sits on a 3/8" diameter metal rod 4-1/2" long.  There are  stops above and below the filter disk to restrain it near the center of the rod but allows about 1" of movement up or down.  On end of the rod has a groove in it for an attachment that is not with my purchase.  I would assume it might be for a chain or spring to hold the filter down.  I tried the pot with just water and it seemed to work but didn't drain properly.  I didn't realize that it wasn't working properly until the next try when I put some bad coffee in it for a test and saw that the seal was leaking so there wasn't enough vacuum to pull the coffee back down.  The seal appears to be ok I just didn't put it together tight enough.  The weight of the rod seems to hold the filter down.  Is anyone familiar with this pot?  Does it need a spring or chain?  Any suggestions?  I amazed when I see on this list that people have bought vaccum pots for reasonable prices on e-bay.  I've been looking for a month or two and I haven't seen any bargains.  Thanks for any information.

Walt

The seal:  You can use food grade lubricant to make the seal work.  Look for it near the soft-serve supplies at a restaurant supply store.  Use as little as you can.  The rubber seal is usually dried up and shriveled, and will swell some with use if it is coated with that silicone lubricant (comes in a tube like toothpaste).
     I actually used 'rubber rejuvenator' on one, which is definitely not food-grade.  It is a gnarly solvent that removes glaze on the rubber and swells it a little.  After a couple of applications I let it air out for a week, then gave it a light coat of silicone lubricant, and the seal was as good as new.

The filter:  [describing a Nicro] There should be a chain with a spring that goes inside the tube and latches at the notch.  This keeps tension on the metal 'filter' so that it stays in place and you don't get a huge amount of grounds getting sucked back into the pot.  I would think that it could be fabricated from a small spring (like from a ball point pen), some fine wire (in place of the chain), and maybe a small fishhook.  This is assuming that the filter is actually all there...
[duralux] Sounds like this has a metal bar instead of the chain.  You should be able to jury rig it to stay in place with a hook and a spring... 

These used to be a lot easier to find, as they were VERY popular in the 40's and 50's in coffee shops in the US.  Nowadays most people don't know what they are or how they work so even thrift stores toss them rather than putting them on the shelves.

waltfb

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 12:47:54 PM »
Thanks BJ and BW!  I got the thing to work today using some of Stubbies Brazil Moreinhina (SP?)... Previously I had the filter rod upside down which affected the filter as the metal plate is not flat but has an angled edge.  With the filter rim faced downward the groove in the filter rod is on the top so I don't know what it is for.  I put a little olive oil on the seal and it worked without leaking.  I hope it doesn't damage the rubber seal. Before I retired I would just have "borrowed" some silicone grease form the lab and used it  ;D So for $8.00 at the flea market I got to try a vacuum pot!  I think the Italian stovetop makes better coffee but then I don't have a good electric grinder.  My handturned Zassenhaus would work but that's a lot of work for fine grinding.  The coffee from my "El Crappo" Cusinart grinder left too many fines that went through the small holes in the metal filter; therefore, no clean taste!

I don't know if I'll buy a glass vac pot or not as I have a Bodum Pour over with the gold filter, a french press, and numerous size stovetop pots.  Perhaps an AP is next! Thanks again,

Walt