Author Topic: help please with BBQ roaster  (Read 3192 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: help please with BBQ roaster
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 06:24:42 AM »
I am thinking the drum should be no more than 1/3 filled with the volume of green beans I want to roast since they expand durring roasting.....

You need space for sure (I've jammed/locked up a drum before)  :-[

And like the example in this thread I think you want the drum fairly close and taking as much heat by blocking the space above the burners as possible. It might be like a fluid bed and if the drum is too small heat is getting around and into the lid too fast. Look at that monster Rasqual is roasting on. The drum is grabbing all the heat (where else can it go) with that humungo drum in there?  ;D ;D

So I think you need space for expansion, ample agitation, and to match the size of the drum to the roast chamber/grill leaving the variables of batch size and BTU's to balance out.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

barko78

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 06:43:30 AM »
I suspect the issue is too small a drum in too big a BBQ... if their is lots of empty space between the top of your drum and the lid of the BBQ than the heat you want in the beans is above the beans...
Doveguy1

Is there a vent at the top of your bbq?  If you open the vent a little during 1# batches you may get more of a current of heat moving up and through the beans.  Also make sure you are pre-heating the bbq and if possible, preheating the drum.

Offline 7over

• Standard User
  • I'd rather fight, than switch!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 03:21:06 PM »
I built my own drum with much guiding help from people in this group and another site. It's not as large as Rasqual's, nor nearly as much of a technological marvel but it does work pretty well. I was lucky I guess to get enough right the first time that it mostly worked! From people here I learned enough to make the mods that really made it work well.

The drum is almost exactly 12 inches long and 8.5 inches wide (pure luck). It turns on a 43 rpm motor that I got off of ebay for $20.00 or so (learned here but it should be faster). Early pics are here http://homepage.mac.com/sevenover/PhotoAlbum48.html the one mod I've done since then is to run the spit through the drum at an angle so that the drum 'wobbles' similar to the way the Gene Cafe does (self epiphany). I run it inside a Weber Silver Genesis B grill... three burners rated at 36,000 BTU / hr. (luck)

The sweet spot for this roaster setup seems to be 2 lbs 8 oz but it will do 3 lbs 12 oz if I push the heat a little bit. I almost completely ignore the temp gauge on the grill as it has no measurable relationship to what's going on where the beans are! It's a guide and nothing more. (for the three min. I am applying the most heat, that gauge can be pegged as high as it can go) I rely more now on the settings I'm using on the three dials and what time the various smell and sound events occur during any given batch. I got here by logging, logging and more logging of what exactly was happening when with what settings and batch sizes etc.

I consistently get to first no sooner than 9:30 (based on comments made here) and usually at about 11:00 or 12:00. I can easily stretch the time between 1st and 2nd (when I go that far) to be upwards of 4 minutes if I want to and end the roast between 15 and 18 min depending on batch size and bean type.

A few things need to come together to get consistent roasts; Rotation speed, drum size, batch size, roast environment temp, ambient environment stability, airflow around the beans, drum / roaster preheating. I've also discovered that all heat is not the same (Conduction, Convection, Radiant) and adjust my burners during the roast to aid in the thermal transfer process a the right moments. (I learned a bit at last years SCAA show from the Dynamics of Thermal Transfer Inside a Roaster class.. it was quite informative!)

I started with the ultra-slow rotisserie motor that came with the spit but that was far too slow (as I was informed here too!) to work well. Not enough bean agitation, no airflow. I used to open the lid to 'check on things but now I now keep the grill lid closed 100% of the time. I only roast inside my shed where wind and rain cannot effect unwanted temp variations on my grill and I pre-heat the drum for at least 5 min (on the first batch) before I put any beans inside.

To roast 5 lbs, you're going to need a wide drum, and a motor that is strong and fast enough to turn the mass properly. Some sort of fins or baffles inside the drum to make sure the beans ride up the side and tumble over each other is a must. 

There is probably more that I'm forgetting in my older age but there is much more experience on this forum that will hopefully bail me out.
Passion + Purpose. It's a beautiful thing.

doveguy1

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 06:36:14 PM »
thank you all I will get there, and post a report when I do

doveguy1

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 09:12:07 PM »
I installed a new motor today and ran with about 25% green in the drum, much better results, first crack about 15 minutes