Author Topic: Sonofresco (all roasters in general) heat source  (Read 6830 times)

Tex

Re: Sonofresco (all roasters in general) heat source
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 12:22:43 PM »
I'm not familiar with the Sonofresco... but I have built and am perfecting my own Fluid Air Bed roasting machine for commercial production use in my roasting plant.

I'm curious about what 'profile #6" looks like. Do you know or have you plotted exactly what that is? Is it based on bean temps alone? bean temps over specific times? or air temps? Does the Sonofresco control the ramp rate of the beans directly during the roast and compensate for faster and slower ramps or does it just blow varying degrees of hot air until the beans get to certain predefined set points?

I've placed my bean temp probe in the densest part of the bean mass just before the beans enter the air stream. My software averages the recorded bean temps over 2 second rolling intervals so that I don't get the wild jumps that too frequent reporting tends to generate.

So far, the roaster and software is working well together but I am going to upgrade the electric heating element to a larger unit so that I can roast more than 3 lbs per batch.

Anyway, I'll update the board as I make progress but I am curious about what "profile #6" is.

What can you tell me?

I was hoping someone with data logging software would investigate the programming of the Sonofresco. To do it right milo, you'd need to note the burn durations for the various programs at different points in the profile. Piece of cake for a curious sort like you!

milowebailey

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 12:23:45 PM »
I'm not familiar with the Sonofresco... but I have built and am perfecting my own Fluid Air Bed roasting machine for commercial production use in my roasting plant.

I'm curious about what 'profile #6" looks like. Do you know or have you plotted exactly what that is? Is it based on bean temps alone? bean temps over specific times? or air temps? Does the Sonofresco control the ramp rate of the beans directly during the roast and compensate for faster and slower ramps or does it just blow varying degrees of hot air until the beans get to certain predefined set points?

I've placed my bean temp probe in the densest part of the bean mass just before the beans enter the air stream. My software averages the recorded bean temps over 2 second rolling intervals so that I don't get the wild jumps that too frequent reporting tends to generate.

So far, the roaster and software is working well together but I am going to upgrade the electric heating element to a larger unit so that I can roast more than 3 lbs per batch.

Anyway, I'll update the board as I make progress but I am curious about what "profile #6" is.

What can you tell me?

It's here... in the milowidget thread.... ignore the big spikes they are not real....

Offline 7over

• Standard User
  • I'd rather fight, than switch!
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »
It's here... in the milowidget thread.... ignore the big spikes they are not real....

Looks like you're making good progress so far.

Are you trying to directly control the ramp of the bean mass rather than just the ramp of the heater air / power?
In other words, can you tell your control widget to control the heater so that it can do whatever it needs to do to:
Hold bean temperature steady at 225 for 30 seconds
Ramp beans at 60 degrees per minute to 310 F bean temperature
Ramp beans 12.5 degrees per minute to 360 F
Ramp beans 25 degrees per minute to 405 F
Ramp beans 10 degrees perminute to 434 F
When beans reach 430, cut the heat, increase the fan, dump the beans, sound the air siren...

Passion + Purpose. It's a beautiful thing.

milowebailey

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »

Looks like you're making good progress so far.

Are you trying to directly control the ramp of the bean mass rather than just the ramp of the heater air / power?
In other words, can you tell your control widget to control the heater so that it can do whatever it needs to do to:
Hold bean temperature steady at 225 for 30 seconds
Ramp beans at 60 degrees per minute to 310 F bean temperature
Ramp beans 12.5 degrees per minute to 360 F
Ramp beans 25 degrees per minute to 405 F
Ramp beans 10 degrees perminute to 434 F
When beans reach 430, cut the heat, increase the fan, dump the beans, sound the air siren...

Ed Zachery!

With a carfully placed thermocouple you can pretend you have a really big roaster.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 05:27:47 PM »

........When beans reach 430, cut the heat, increase the fan, dump the beans, sound the air siren...

How far do you want to be from the roaster when it is done and the siren goes off?? 

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2009, 08:38:09 PM »
How far do you want to be from the roaster when it is done and the siren goes off?? 

Hehehe...  I just saved that mp3 file, and will use that as the sound for when a new e-mail arrives.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009, 09:00:50 PM »

Hehehe...  I just saved that mp3 file, and will use that as the sound for when a new e-mail arrives.   ;D

:icon_scratch:  the email server is on all the time at my house... that would be a bad idea when the spam rolls in at 3 am