Author Topic: comercial popcorn popper roaster  (Read 985 times)

milowebailey

comercial popcorn popper roaster
« on: March 11, 2009, 09:09:45 AM »
Has anyone tried one of these to roast coffee in... seems it would be similar to the SC\TO method, and many of these are 220V so should have a good heating element...

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: comercial popcorn popper roaster
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:40:47 AM »
I bean thinking about that of and on... you could poke holes in the bottom (where the popped popcorn goes) and turn it into a bean cooler....  change the signage, put it on a cart and your set for the farmer market....

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:47:24 AM »
You'd have to modify it to get it hotter.  Popcorn pops below 360?F, and I don't think that any of these commercial poppers go over about 400?F or so.  They rely on the oil to efficiently transfer heat, so just dumping coffee into one with only air and metal contact would be less efficient.  You might wind up with tipping if you did this (modified for higher heat) without the airflow of a turbo-oven.

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »
You'd have to modify it to get it hotter.  Popcorn pops below 360?F, and I don't think that any of these commercial poppers go over about 400?F or so.  They rely on the oil to efficiently transfer heat, so just dumping coffee into one with only air and metal contact would be less efficient.  You might wind up with tipping if you did this (modified for higher heat) without the airflow of a turbo-oven.

BW

Now I know why we hired you! ;D ;D

thanks