Author Topic: What brewing method would you use??  (Read 1571 times)

Offline dsil

• Standard User
What brewing method would you use??
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:48:16 AM »
I am going to be selling brewed coffee along with my beans at this summers farmers market. I am very, very happy with the Dial a Brew/chemex method I am currently using. While this will take more time and effort than a commercial bunn, will the cup be that much better? What is your experience with these two methods?
Thanks, Doug

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: What brewing method would you use??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:10:01 AM »
Here is one opinion...

I'm going to suggest #6 cones directly into airpots, then commercial pourover, then individual brewed cups like a cone drip station or even an Aeropress station like this groovy market stand somewhere in Chicago has going on the weekends..

I may not understand the dial a brew Chemex method but if it's placing a Chemex under a dial a brew coffee maker this would be my last choice.

Either way have fun.  ;)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline dsil

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:27:55 AM »
I will be brewing at home, and putting it into airpots for the day, so appearance is not an issue. The dial a brew is in the 200 - 207 degree range, so that compares with commercial brewers. My concern is taste/quality. will the bunn basket style filter produce a lower quality product??

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:36:42 AM »
I'm not sure what the lifespan of airpots is but I think I remember Nimbus saying once that he times his out at 45 min.

Another factor to consider....

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline dsil

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:02:46 AM »
No electricity at the market, so airpot is my only option.

Tex

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:47:53 AM »

I'd use a propane burner & the largest vacuum brewer I could find. Simple to operate & makes great tasting coffee. I'd probably look for a s/s model.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:58:08 AM »

More than one way to skin a cat...

#6 cone directly into an airpot is still my pick electricity is just a hurdle. ;)

Lee Morrison

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:53:06 AM »

I have the same problem.. I have not worked out the details but I am planning on hot water from a propane stove and single pourovers and/or pourover into thermos/airpot... using Chemex filters for both... I think the big airpots need two large filter chemexs brews to get the best flavor.. (still experimenting)  the single pourovers will make sampling easier and look cooler but an airpot of coffee on hand is less work overall..

My final grump is that I will have to pre-grind the days samples at home but that is life till a better solution comes along...

Tex

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »

I have the same problem.. I have not worked out the details...

There are alternatives!

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 12:52:20 PM »

For two years before I got electricity, I found this and a sturdy camp stove sufficient. Well, I did have the large (1.5 gal) thermal pot you see in the picture John posted, which cached the water once it boiled. Kept it around 195, +/- 5.

For two more years I cached the water like this. I may be doing something different this year.

Let's put it this way -- I can't imagine any on-site method you might contrive that could possibly be worse than making the coffee at home and serving it over time.

On the other hand, if you dash quickly to the market, set up really fast and start selling, it might all sell out well within what I consider an in-contact-with-stainless-steel maximum -- one hour.

When is peak attendance time at the market? How many customers show up each week? What is your beverage competition at the market, or nearby? Is there a place where people can sit and hang out, or will they invariably be taking their coffee back to their car with them? How close is the parking lot (which bears on the question of whether folks will stare at a coffee stand with their hands full, shrug, and trudge off to their car and return, or not). What's the climate like where you are? Rainy? Cool?

Advice: don't let lack of electricity keep you from brewing coffee fresh at the market. You're a man. You have mastodon hunting in your genes. You can handle heating some water.      ;D

The issue of grinding: I have been able to have my van adjacent to our canopy, so those same two years of heating water via propane involved grinding coffee using an inverter. Use a faithfull Kill-A-Watt to check your grinder's load, then exceed that by 100% or more.

I still roast from the vehicle battery. If your vehicle can't be near your booth, I'll grant you have an issue.

I'm not sure what the lifespan of airpots is but I think I remember Nimbus saying once that he times his out at 45 min.

That's a good number. My use of an hour leaves 15 minutes to punish latecomers to events where I'm serving.    ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:19:03 PM by rasqual »