Author Topic: Which roaster?  (Read 2553 times)

Steve7

Which roaster?
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:25:07 AM »
I'm new (hello!).

I'm in the UK. A few months back I considered a hottop (basic model). I didn't buy as my wife wasn't drinking coffee, so I couldn't justify the roast sizes. I have a hearthware air roaster, but its too small and too faffy.

Now we are drinking a lot more coffee. ALL my use will be with a Technivorm drip / French press. I gave up on espresso. I grind all my beans with a Rocky. I will roast about 1/2 pound (250g) a fortnight, maybe more, or less so flexibility good.

Ok... based on my needs in the paragraph above, which roaster should I go for (imagine cost not an issue).
Choices I have are the Gene Roaster, Hottop, or Behmor.

I don't want massive over complication, as I'm not going to be a coffee academic. Something that can roast a large selection of green types, reliably, simply, and with the best results is my aim! I like somewhere between mid roast but not as far as full.

I was 100% hottop, but with the two new models appearing in the UK... I NEED HELP!!

Kind regards
Steve
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:33:31 AM by Steve7 »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Which roaster?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
If money doesn't matter, and you're not doing back to back roasts (or don't care to wait for the HotTop to cool down) that would be my pick.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Tigeranteater

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »
I love my Behmor.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 06:26:18 PM »
In those parameters where the cost is not a limiting factor I believe the HT is far and away your best choice of those roasters you listed and the others you did not.

Even if you are the only coffee drinker get the HT...1/2# batch is cool for 1 person.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 10:45:51 PM »
My vote goes to HT as well. I have an iRoast 2 and a Sonofresco, but the Hottop B gets used the most in my home. Very user friendly, and I love the aesthetics of a drum roaster with a glass window.
No coffee, No workee!

Steve7

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 11:56:41 AM »
Hey all,

Thanks for your advice. Satisfied me I was on the right lines with my instinct.

BUT, I have just found out the only UK dealer fell out with hottop over price. No hottops for sale here!

Guess I have two options... find a used one or buy direct from hottop. Can you believe they want $1000 US for the basic model (yes, the same one retailing for $750 on their US website - although UK spec). No way!!!

Typical, I just make my mind up and it all goes wrong.

I'm furious! I wonder if the UK spec model is on sale anywhere else???

milowebailey

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »
Technically you just need one that will work on 230 V 50 hz... if there is an european model that should work... you would most likely need to replace the power plug but that would be way less than $250.

Steve7

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 12:39:41 PM »
Any European types in here!?

I'll get on the net and search out some suppliers...

Offline H-D Rider

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 08:46:08 PM »
I bought my Hottop from those guys and their service was excellent and so is the Hottop

Go for it.

Steve7

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 03:31:46 PM »
Really....

They advertise it for $740 buy it now.

They say they ship worldwide, and do the different models for each region.
I enter UK as a shipping destination, and get the message that I need to contact the seller for a price.

Quote: The UK price is $1000 for the B, and $1200 for the P delivered.

That is a $260 uplift for me!!!!

No way.

It maybe easier to get a kindly US buyer to go for the buy it now price of $740, with normal cheap postage,and then specify a UK model! Even the cost of then sending it on to me would be way under $1000.

(on a different note, is the P really worth $200 more for my needs? Overkill for my use?)

Steve7

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »
Did you pick up on me being angry.

Hottop have no UK dealer as they did him on price!

Hottop direct quoted me $1000 and $1250 ! They said it was $120 postage in that. After pointing out the US website price was $750 for the B model, they returned to me with a best they can do $870 (adding the ridiculous postage uplift of $120).

You guys are lucky in the US.

dennis.keating

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 12:42:14 PM »
That is a considerable upcharge for an already expensive roaster for it's size.

BoldJava

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 01:48:18 PM »
I assume you ruled out the Gene Cafe but this is a better price on it than we can buy at in the US.  I have had my Gene for 3 years and it continues to plug along, back to back roasts.

http://www.pennineteaandcoffee.co.uk/commercialcoffeemachine/Gene_Cafe_Coffee_Roaster.htm

B|Java

Steve7

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 01:18:32 AM »
Thanks

The price you link to for the Gene is without VAT tax (15%).
This brings it to £340.

I have struck a deal for the hottop delivered (direct) for $870. They matched the US price but stung me on shipping.

I suppose my final ask to you all is: is the hottop worth the premium on the Gene and the Behmor? The price I pay may help guide you:

Hottop  £540 (after conversion from $870)
Gene    £340
Behmor £250 approx when it arrives in UK

I am assured the hottop is best, but that much better?