Author Topic: Which frankenroaster?  (Read 1713 times)

ktulu64

Which frankenroaster?
« on: June 02, 2009, 07:59:10 PM »
I do not think I can bring myself to part with the cash that a Hottop requires, but I am thinking that my only slightly modified Westbend Poppery 'roaster' is not up to the challenge. 

From all appearances, the SC/TO contraption seems to be the way to go (as I am not willing to drop gobs of cash on a readymade / professional roaster.

Am I on the right track?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Which frankenroaster?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »
If you are not then so are many of the members here who have that set up.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:08:31 PM »
I hear Susan has one for sale.    ;)   Notice the wink.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

ktulu64

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »

from the looks of things, she paid dear for it...I'm sure she'd charge dear for it, if it were... ;)

JoshInCA

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 08:27:50 PM »
I haven't used a SC/TO contraption, but I'm fond of the bread machine / heat-gun rig I cobbled together, and would happily recommend one to anyone.

Sez me...

Haven't seen the two compared though. Anyone?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 08:30:51 PM »
I found the SC/TO set up exceeded my expectations.

I looked at it for a LOOOOOONG time and dismissed it without investigating.  :-\

When I tried bringing my batch size down on my beloved 2# BuzzRoaster drum to 1# it was a total disaster.... :-[

I looked at the SC/TO as just an experiment and that experiment has been lasting over one year now. When this set up burns up I'm getting another. The 12oz batch size is perfect for me and the roast quality/capability is better than I was expecting.

If pressed I'd have to say I prefer the drum first, the HT second, and the SC/TO third but the differences are small and there are trade offs with each roaster that give it +/-

With build yourself set ups you can't go wrong with the SC/TO....you really can't.  
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

ktulu64

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 06:49:26 PM »
and now to find the components and cobble together my frankenroaster...

thanks for the confirmation, guys

from all appearances, it looked like the way to go, but I wanted corroboration

and I got it

many thanks

SusanJoM

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 07:20:48 PM »

Hey, no way !!!!
I'm keepin' her !!!!!

Susan

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 07:29:30 PM »

Hey, no way !!!!
I'm keepin' her !!!!!

Susan

That should tell you something right there, ktulu...

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 12:49:47 AM »
I've been really happy with a SC/GG... right until I melted the stir shaft on mine in a fit of pre-heating inattentiveness.

Recently, I've been using a HG/BM that I made a lid/HG holder for out of an old PC side cover. I've been pleased with the results. With a tight fitting lid and a 1400 watt HG, I can manage about 18 ounces of greens. I can manage the profile at least as well as I could with the turbo oven by switching between heat settings on the gun, too.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 09:17:27 AM »
I've been really happy with a SC/GG... right until I melted the stir shaft on mine in a fit of pre-heating inattentiveness.

Yup, I've managed that too.  But I have a good mod, that has saved me from a reoccurence.

With a tight fitting lid and a 1400 watt HG, I can manage about 18 ounces of greens. I can manage the profile at least as well as I could with the turbo oven by switching between heat settings on the gun, too.

Yeah, I can remember the frustrating roasts too, before learning how to manage the profile wiht the SC/TO.   ;D   ;)

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 08:38:31 PM »

Yup, I've managed that too.  But I have a good mod, that has saved me from a reoccurence.

With a tight fitting lid and a 1400 watt HG, I can manage about 18 ounces of greens. I can manage the profile at least as well as I could with the turbo oven by switching between heat settings on the gun, too.

Yeah, I can remember the frustrating roasts too, before learning how to manage the profile wiht the SC/TO.   ;D   ;)

I saw your fix (thanks!) and I've bought the parts to do it, too, but my roasts have been working out so well I haven't gotten around to it. It'll probably get done once my heat gun or bread machine burns out.  :)
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";