Author Topic: What's the best way to clean a vacuum pot?  (Read 5926 times)

milowebailey

What's the best way to clean a vacuum pot?
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:47:33 AM »
I've only had my vacpot for 8 months and cleaning it seems to be the biggest issue.

I've learned that a wooden spoon is a good way to get the grounds out, but what's the best way to clean the glass parts?

1) Hand wash in ???
2) Dishwasher?
3) Some other method?

-Milowebailey

sduck27

Re: What's the best way to clean a vacuum pot?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:55:51 AM »
the only way i found to get it clean is by hand....  let the grinds dry in the top, scrap out with a wooden spoon clean.  The bottom  clean with a washcloth inside swoosh around.  the top clean by hand.  scrub the cloth filter with a toothbrush and dish soap, clean to get white with oxyclean.  done 2-5 minutes tops

thanks
Steve

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »
Throw it in the washing machine with a load of towels and 2 scoops of oxyclean.  ;D  ;D

I treat mine like it's got a sleeping baby in it......very gently with careful and deliberate movements. I wash it by hand ASAP after brewing when swishing soapy water and lots of rinsing do the job. I tried cleaning the cloth filters but never felt good about it....glass rod is the way to go.

It's a delicate snowflake.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:02:45 AM »
Soak the parts in a hot & strong TSP solution. If you're old school enough you can get a two-foot piece of beaded-chain necklace to swirl around the bowls.

Tex

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »
Soak the parts in a hot & strong TSP solution. If you're old school enough you can get a two-foot piece of beaded-chain necklace to swirl around the bowls.

The above assumes the pot is very grungy. If it's just day-in/day-out cleaning advice - I have a brush that'll reach into every spot in the pots. A bit of dish-washing detergent & hot water makes short work of cleaning it.

To clean the grounds out I just run them under water into the garbage disposal. The local utility district has assured me that coffee grounds will not plug up plumbing.

garybt3

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:19:24 AM »
I've only had my vacpot for 8 months and cleaning it seems to be the biggest issue.

I've learned that a wooden spoon is a good way to get the grounds out, but what's the best way to clean the glass parts?

1) Hand wash in ???
2) Dishwasher?
3) Some other method?

-Milowebailey

Larry,
I rinse off the filter and the vacpot with hot water immediately after brewing up a batch. I have to dry it off with a towel, otherwise the hard water here will leave really stubborn spots. When I notice a film developing, I'll mix up some Cafiza with hot water and soak everything for an hour, then wash & dry it before putting it away. I do this with the Yama, Cory, Silex, and I've found some pretty funky 50 year old coffee stains will disappear with a hot soak in some Cafiza for an hour. Heck, I even soak up my Hottop parts with burnt roasting residue in Cafiza, and the stuff comes off with very little added effort.

The cloth filters keep better in a water glass inside of your refrigerator in between use. I wash it with dish soap, rinse the heck out of it and store it in the water glass about 1/2 full of water. After a week, I'll dump the water, rinse again, and replace it back into the fridge. To get rid of stains, the Cafiza works pretty good, but the OXY ( God rest his soul, Billy Mays) Clean takes care of the stain very well.

I get about 4 to 6 months out of a cloth filter using it weekly. I have a nice assortment of glass filters that I like to brew with, however, I don't really notice any profound difference in flavor, as some people report. To each his own, I guess. IMHO if the glass is clean, the filter is clean, it will be a great cup of coffee, and that's all that matters to me.

Gary

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »
I hand wash my vac pots. The filters get soaked in a solution of Oxy Clean and boiling water and then air dried.

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 02:33:07 PM »
Mr Philippino Bean,

I use a hand-dishwashing soap, Ultra Dishmate by Earth Friendly Products that I pick up at our co-op.  I find that is sudses well but rinses much quicker and cleaner than commerical dishwashing soap products.

I put a soapy dishrag  along with some water into the pot and shake the dickens out of it. The cloth generates the needed friction.  Voila! The Czarina insists I will drop it someday and I merely point to the inventory in the 3rd bedroom.  With the upper globe, I always wait until the grounds dry.  I use the morning's rice paddle spoon to loosen them and the grounds get fed to the gardens.  The earthworms thank me.  Peter squealed like a stuck hog when Valerie and I used the tiniest electric current with my Variac.

I do the same procedure with the globe, grabbing the throat and base to insure I have a good grip on it.  The soapy dishrag creates enough friction, shaking it with one hand as a lid.  It pulls/scrubs off residual grounds and oils.  Works very well for me.  

The secret is rinsing and rinsing.

Thompson SM sells a brush that works well but I admit mine is gathering dust.  Use the tip end with a 5-cupper (I can't remember which you have) and the broad, curved length of it with the 8-cupper.  Last item on this page:  http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.coffeecleaner.php

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:47:29 PM by BoldJava »

Steve7

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 02:43:16 PM »
Cafiza, hot water, overnight soak.
Cleans anything.

Tex

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:48:07 PM »
Cleans anything.

What about the effect of the strong cleanser on the rubber gasket?

Steve7

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 03:00:47 PM »
I don't yet have a vac pot, I was presuming it was removable!?

I need a vac pot, but not much choice in UK shops. Any favoured make? I guess what puts me off is the need for burners, and I have gas hobs which are not meant to be good? Shame they dont have an electric version... we English love our kettles.
Is there a consensus on make the regulars here use? PM me if you prefer to avoid me thread - jacking this cleaning post!

Bodum e Santos always looked a bit naff, and now discontinued.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:04:41 PM by Steve7 »

garybt3

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »
Cleans anything.

What about the effect of the strong cleanser on the rubber gasket?

Good Point, Tex!
I remove the rubber gasket before a Cafiza soak, as it is easy enough to take off.
Gary

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 03:46:46 PM »
I don't yet have a vac pot, I was presuming it was removable!?

I need a vac pot, but not much choice in UK shops. Any favoured make? I guess what puts me off is the need for burners, and I have gas hobs which are not meant to be good? Shame they dont have an electric version... we English love our kettles.
Is there a consensus on make the regulars here use? PM me if you prefer to avoid me thread - jacking this cleaning post!

Bodum e Santos always looked a bit naff, and now discontinued.

I will direct you over here.  We have a long discussion going on. http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=3070.0

I am a Yama boy, from the stovetop.  What is a gas hob?  You mean a gas burner?  The Yama has two stovetop models; a .65 liter and a 1.25 liter.

B|Java

cfsheridan

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 05:03:17 PM »
Aren't the Cona pots based out of the UK?  Pricey, but good looking pots.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 05:07:04 PM »

The Bodum Santos Electric is a decent vacpot.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you