Author Topic: Wahoo. Just bought a 1982 Carimali Elle  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Wahoo. Just bought a 1982 Carimali Elle
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:46:17 PM »
I just bought another pretty lever to rebuild! Check it out. It is a 1982 Carimali Elle single group lever espresso machine. It has a 10L boiler and a 1000W heating element. Here are some pictures. I should have it by the end of the week. I am excited. Hopefully it looks good under the hood too!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Wahoo. Just bought a 1982 Carimali Elle
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:55:45 PM »
Keep us posted on your project.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:57:29 PM »
I will. I just started cleaning up another lever so I will not be starting this one for a while.

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
Wow! Just found that online - it looks soooooo cool. You'll have to post photos. :)
Score!
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:23:31 PM »
I definitely will. Supposedly there is no rust on the interior parts. . . we will see. If that is the case it could be a pretty quick cleanup job. I am excited about it! Especially for the asking price.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »
I want a lever so bad........... I have jealousy.  :P
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 12:59:03 PM »
I have quite a few. I will trade you for a 1kg commercial roaster :) ! I really want a 1kg or 3kg. The levers I have are of varying ages and most  pretty rare. The thought occurred to me that I might want to try and trade the 1952 2 lever Conti Empress I am currently rebuilding / refurbishing for one of those roasters, used obviously. Do you think anyone would go for that? I guess I would have to find a collector or a smaller coffee shop?!?

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »
I am extremely partial to levers. They not only look cool, but once you are dialed in on one you can make some pretty amazing shots! All together, they all seem to have more depth and layers of flavor than the semi-autos that have passed through my hands.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:33:28 AM »
It is funny how much we enjoy / how well we take care of things like this. . . The individual I purchased this from sent it from California with no padding in the box. . . the side panels / rear panel are all bent in a little now. Although I guess if they knew / cared about what they had in this espresso machine it also probably would  not have cost what it did.

On a better note, the machine is extremely clean. It needs to wait in line, as there are a few machines in front of it, but it should really only need a bath in Citric Acid and maybe new gaskets / o-rings. Overall I would say it is a great find. I have not been able to find anything out about it on the net either. Just 2 mentions of the machine in CoffeeGeek, but no pictures or refurbs.

Does anyone know how rare these are? It was made in 1981 and says it was #11 of 84 they made that year. It looks very similar to most of the other levers I have, but the lever mechanism itself is unlike anything I have personally seen so far. On all of my other levers if you pulled the lever down when the machine was dry, the lever would fly up rather erratically, as there was no water resistance foe the piston inside the group. When this lever is pulled all the way down, it clicks and engages with another piece of metal which take the lever up at a constant speed whether water is present in the chamber or not.

I am interested to see what the shot quality is like in this Carimali vs my 70 San Marco vs the Prestina. Should be fun!

Tex

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »
I have quite a few. I will trade you for a 1kg commercial roaster :) ! I really want a 1kg or 3kg. The levers I have are of varying ages and most  pretty rare. The thought occurred to me that I might want to try and trade the 1952 2 lever Conti Empress I am currently rebuilding / refurbishing for one of those roasters, used obviously. Do you think anyone would go for that? I guess I would have to find a collector or a smaller coffee shop?!?

Well, if you have a Visacrem VX/Gaggia GX 1 or 2-group, we might could work something out?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 01:24:09 PM »
I have quite a few. I will trade you for a 1kg commercial roaster :) ! I really want a 1kg or 3kg. The levers I have are of varying ages and most  pretty rare. The thought occurred to me that I might want to try and trade the 1952 2 lever Conti Empress I am currently rebuilding / refurbishing for one of those roasters, used obviously. Do you think anyone would go for that? I guess I would have to find a collector or a smaller coffee shop?!?

Well, if you have a Visacrem VX/Gaggia GX 1 or 2-group, we might could work something out?

Slick Robert ... you're getting around the rule of no more spending money on coffee equipment by barter.

:)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:11:08 PM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 10:04:31 PM »
Nope. I haven't run into one of those yet. Although, I know Doug at Orphanespresso recently refurbed one. I am sure it is not cheap though.