Author Topic: What roaster does Whole Foods use?  (Read 938 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
What roaster does Whole Foods use?
« on: January 09, 2010, 07:32:32 PM »
It looks like a Sono on the front but it can't be that they are roasting batches that small.

Anybody know what they are using?
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

Re: What roaster does Whole Foods use?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 07:41:27 PM »
It looks like a Sono on the front but it can't be that they are roasting batches that small.

Anybody know what they are using?

No, it is an air-roaster made in Michigan.  Had a long discussion about it with the MidWest Coffee manager. It is a JavaMaster:  http://javamasters.com/index.html

All pre-sets.  Coffee clerk pushes a button, based on the bean.

B|Java

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:47:30 PM by BoldJava »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »
Funny you ask that question! I was at the Whole Foods in Downtown Chicago about 2 hours ago drinking a few beers (this location has a microbrew beer bar). I wandered over to the roasting area to inspect / try to identify the coffee roaster, but I could not see a name anywhere. It is a fluid bed roaster, but not a Sono or any type of Sivetz I have ever seen.

Odd that it is all presets . . . the one I saw had two temperature controls the roaster could play with. . . I guess that is not to say they have to play with them.

Any idea on the price?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:59:16 PM by Warrior372 »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »
I had a cup of drip there earlier (Tanz Peaberry) and it was pretty good.

I looked in the bin and the roast looked good, the cup was good....it made me curious. 
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 07:58:40 PM »
Odd that it is all presets . . . the one I saw had two temperature controls the roaster could play with. . . I guess that is not to say they have to play with them.

Any idea on the price?

They push (1) weight and (2) origin, if I remember correctly.  Price?  I could tell she preferred not to discuss price.  As well, I got the idea that all beans came out of Denver <?>  (they bought Allegro in late 90's) rather than from JavaMasters.

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:00:42 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:59:25 PM »
I had a cup of drip there earlier (Tanz Peaberry) and it was pretty good.

I looked in the bin and the roast looked good, the cup was good....it made me curious.  

Wholefoods is hit or miss.  Most beans are over-roasted.  Lots are very generic, air exposed in bins.  At least date of roast is always provided.

B|Java

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »
It is interesting that they state they reinvented the way coffee was roasted in 1995. Apparently they have never head of Michael Sivetz. Last time I checked I thought he originally invented and patented the process :) . Maybe JavaMasters came out with a glass tube fluid bed roaster (versus the metal triangular chamber roasters) before Sivetz?

I give them credit for roasting their own coffee at some of their locations. Regardless of how spot on their pre-programmed roast profiles are, at least they do it weekly or so?!?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:07:24 PM by Warrior372 »

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »

I give them credit for roasting their own coffee at some of their locations. Regardless of how spot on their pre-programmed roast profiles are, at least they do it weekly or so?!?

Daily.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 08:39:03 PM »

Daily.

That's even more often than me.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you