Author Topic: What's a better roaster-iroast2 or Freshroast sr300  (Read 815 times)

jber19

What's a better roaster-iroast2 or Freshroast sr300
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:24:21 AM »
So boys, though I love my Sono, We'll be getting rid of her in preps to buy a 2lb Sono....however, there is gonna be about a 6 month in the middle time, and `i need a roaster over there in the land of frozen earth, water and instant coffee....so which one is better? Iroast 2 Freshroast sr300??

jspain

Re: What's a better roaster-iroast2 or Freshroast sr300
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:48:59 AM »
JB,

I don't have a new Fresh Roast model to compare so I can't help on the comparison issue. I still use my IRoast2 every now and then for a specific and small roast. Gererally for samples and roasting for myself those expensive coffees. I like my IRoast2s. I have two plus parts.

I love your ministry! I will donate a used IRoast2 to you to take to Russia if you need one before you go buy one. Lest I can do! Let me know and I'll get her to you or better yet come on down to the Buckeye Coffee Fest on April 11 and pick her up! I know you may be out of town then and I'm glad to mail her to you.

Peace,  Jim

Ghoti

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 08:37:02 PM »
Check with your friends in Russia and see what a bread maker and heat gun would run. The 220v Russians use will require a heavy-duty  step-down transformer to use a high wattage usage item like the Freshroast or Iroast. The transformers burn out quickly unless you get a good heavy-duty one ( heavy being the operative word 15 to 20 lbs to bring it with you)The DIY HG/BM would allow bigger roast batches as well. Did you ever hear from the Ukraine coffee importer?  We will be back in Kiev for advance language training again this summer. First two weeks on June is the plan. If you haven't left by then I may be able to check and see if anything exists in the personal size roasters.

jber19

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 04:19:14 AM »
Thanks Ghoti, we have  heavy duty transformer...we tok it over the last time we wen over 5 years ago for our kitchenaid mixer. Plus, we can get them over there if we ant another one. breadmakers are pretty stinking expensive over there and so are heat guns...no desire to buy one if don't need to. thanks man.

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:39:57 AM »
Can't compare for you JB'er.  Only had the IRoast.  Great roaster; service is poor.  The noise (think Grandma's vacuum cleaner and then some) is excessive.  95 decibels? Had to let that go as I already have diminished hearing.

B|Java

jber19

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:23:41 AM »
Wow, that's pretty loud....oh well, it would make a good sample roaster though...thanks Bold!!

Pyment

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 12:02:39 PM »
Freshroast service is reputedly the best. My experience (in my Gene Cafe days - same company) supports this.