Author Topic: Huky 500 - 1.1lb roaster. . . Has anyone seen / heard about them?  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
I was flying around the internet last night looking for roasters I have never seen and stumbled upon the Huky 300. It was a handmade 300 gram roaster, that supposedly cost about $650 plus shipping from Taiwan at the time. The gentleman who builds them initially did it as a favor to some friends who wanted a coffee roaster, he nows builds / sells them on request.

I emailed him last night, and had a response waiting for me in my mailbox this morning. He said he no longer makes the Huky 300, but he has upgraded it and increased the capacity. He is now making / selling the Huky 500. This roaster has several improvements over the 300. It has vanes in the roasting drum, it has a cleverly designed chaff collector, and obviously the increased capacity is a great improvement. His machines come with a mechanical drum / perforated drum, thermocoupler and data-logger for bean temps, thermometer for air temps in roaster, a portable gas powered adjustable heater that the roaster sits on, a cooling tray / sieve, a fan and a vacuum suction device. The cost of this upgraded version is $1020 plus shipping.

The roaster is as 'manual' as you can get. You would definitely have to be tending the roast and playing with the roaster throughout the entire roasting process, but I know this is very appealing to some people. You set the temperature, the airflow and the drum rpm. The fit and finish of the roaster is amazing. The roasts are supposed to have a very unique sugary, caramelized flavor since he uses a perforated drum. . . He might be able to use a solid one on request. . . I am not sure. Altogether with shipping it would cost about $1,150, but it definitely hits a soft spot with it's capability and roast volume. Since the roaster can control every aspect of the roast, I am sure you could do smaller roasts as well.

Check it out and tell me what you guys think. here is a thread with several pictures of different parts: http://www.bellataiwan.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4998&sid=aff84f48e07bcbc5e3dfa7c7559e2a6b

YouTube Link:
Huky500操作

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:47:08 PM by Warrior372 »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Re: Huky 500 - 1.1lb roaster. . . Has anyone seen / heard about them?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
I was flying around the internet last night looking for roasters I have never seen and stumbled upon the Huky 300. It was a handmade 300 gram roaster, that supposedly cost about $650 plus shipping from Taiwan at the time. The gentleman who builds them initially did it as a favor to some friends who wanted a coffee roaster, he nows builds / sells them on request.

I emailed him last night, and had a response waiting for me in my mailbox this morning. He said he no longer makes the Huky 300, but he has upgraded it and increased the capacity. He is now making / selling the Huky 500. This roaster has several improvements over the 300. It has vanes in the roasting drum, it has a cleverly designed chaff collector, and obviously the increased capacity is a great improvement. His machines come with a motor driven perforated drum, thermocoupler and data-logger for bean temps, thermometer for air temps in roaster, a portable ceramic infrared butane powered adjustable heater that the roaster sits on, a cooling tray / sieve, a fan and a vacuum suction device. The cost of this upgraded version is $1020 plus shipping.

The roaster is as 'manual' as you can get. You would definitely have to be tending the roast and playing with the roaster throughout the entire roasting process, but I know this is very appealing to some people. You set and control the temperature, the airflow and the drum rpm throughout the entire roast. The fit and finish of the roaster is amazing. The roasts are supposed to have a very unique sugary, caramelized flavor since he uses a perforated drum. . . He might be able to use a solid one on request. . . I am not sure. Altogether with shipping it would cost about $1,150, but it definitely hits a soft spot with it's capability and roast volume. Since the roaster can control every aspect of the roast, I am sure you could do smaller roasts as well.

Check it out and tell me what you guys think. here is a thread with several pictures of different parts: http://www.bellataiwan.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4998&sid=aff84f48e07bcbc5e3dfa7c7559e2a6b

YouTube Link: Huky500操作

No comments? Come on :) .

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 05:56:19 PM »
How many pounds will she do?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »
The piping looks like a kitchen sink trap turned upside down to me. ;)  Is the capacity 500g?  I would like to know how long the roast took also.

kp

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »
How many pounds will she do?

The new model does 500 grams which is roughly 1.1 pounds.

The piping looks like a kitchen sink trap turned upside down to me. ;)  Is the capacity 500g?  I would like to know how long the roast took also.

You have total control over the roast, so you can roast as fast or as slow as you want. In the video he did a full 500 gram roast. I thought I started hearing second crack somewhere in the 12 minute area and he dumped them at 13 minutes 20 something seconds. Here is a picture of the beans from that roast.

I posted a picture that shows the inside of the roast drum. . . He did not mess around with the fabrication of it! I also posted a shot of the front of the roaster.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »
So you think it will give the HotTop a go?

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 06:47:58 PM »
very nice... (my B-Day is just around the corner ;)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 06:57:44 PM »
So you think it will give the HotTop a go?

I do not know. I think it is a matter of preference. Some people like automated and digital control and some people like totally manual setups. I think a HotTop is probably easier to use. What I like about it is the 1lb capacity and the fact that it utilizes a gas burner versus an electric element. Furthermore, I do not think it could ever compete with a HotTop from a production perspective, because only 1 guy is building these with his own two hands. That means a lot to me. Also, he came out with the Huky300 in early 2007, so he has had quite a bit of time to work out any kinks in his build / design between then and now.

If someone was not completely content with the roaster it looks like you could modify it easily enough too.

I am thinking about buying it and making it my last big purchase before Chiro school starts. . . I will not be able to buy anything that expensive for at least the next 4 years or so. . .
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:00:25 PM by Warrior372 »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 07:12:50 PM »
Sounds like you are all in for this one.

lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
There is only 1 in the US and it is the Huky300. The owner of Barismo in Arlington, MA purchased it when he was in Taiwan visiting family. I am interested in getting everyone in the forums perspective on potential pros / cons. I think one con would be direct heat on a perforated roasting drum. I think you would overcome this by installing a grill type heating plate to make it indirect.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:44:38 PM by Warrior372 »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 08:06:47 PM »
Soon to be two?

lp, 7-Ski

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 08:41:45 PM »
You know you'll be laying awake at night just thinking about it until you buy it. May as well get it over with. Besides, you'll be the envy of your GCBC, buds.  :angel:

Where will you be sleeping, BTW?   ;)
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 08:51:42 PM »
Haha. I wish it had a propane burner. . . You could probably mod it and add that on though.

So, what is the consensus so far? For about $1150 shipped and a 1lb roast capacity is that a deal or not a deal?

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »
How much is a Sono ... $3000.00 for 2 pounds?

Worth at least 2 for the price of a Sono.

IMHO.

;)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 09:40:21 PM »
So, what is the consensus so far? For about $1150 shipped and a 1lb roast capacity is that a deal or not a deal?

Only you can answer that because you'll be spending your money.  I think it's a great deal, but then it's not my money you're spending.  What I call a deal is not what you may call a deal.  A deal to me is something that can do what the Huky does for under $100.

Just a question; is this roaster's capacity something that you find attractive?  It still won't net a lb. of roasted, if that's important to you.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you