Author Topic: Huky 500 - 1.1lb roaster. . . Has anyone seen / heard about them?  (Read 6570 times)

Tex

Re: Huky 500 - 1.1lb roaster. . . Has anyone seen / heard about them?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 10:19:36 AM »
Very nice looking, but I wonder how many folks have a 22,000 BTU gas burner at their disposal?

The all-grain boys around here would.  I'd be looking to pair it up w/ something like this;

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/burners/low-profile-banjo-burner-burner-and-stand.html

It'd might work on my turkey fryer burner?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:50:27 AM by Tex »

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »
I've exchanged emails with Mr. Li awhile back, and have all the prices etc etc. He sells a small gas stove with a pressure gauge and needle valve that probably fits the kit perfectly. The original Huky design is a "direct fire" with a sliding gate on the bottom of the machine to block the heat and can be opened or closed. I think with the powerful fan the "direct fire" might give more "air roasted" notes to the finish product. The HB guy (Joel) special ordered the solid drum for his situation (powerful gas burners?).  If your ordering a Huky500 with the gas stove, it might be safe to order the perforated drum as that's the one in use for years.

So before you drop some coin on a Quest M3, check out the Huky500.  :D

jspain

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »
Very nice looking, but I wonder how many folks have a 22,000 BTU gas burner at their disposal?

Tex,

I have a deep fryer single burner. What do you think the BTU is on that? It's a simple $60 unit I bought years ago to deep fry fish and such. It gets REALLY hot.....

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »

The all-grain boys around here would.  I'd be looking to pair it up w/ something like this;

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/burners/low-profile-banjo-burner-burner-and-stand.html

I wouldn't.  That burner is rated at 210,000 BTU, or almost an order of magnitude higher, and I bet the Hoky is not designed to take that kind of heat.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:16:06 PM by MGLloyd »

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Tex

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

Tex,

I have a deep fryer single burner. What do you think the BTU is on that? It's a simple $60 unit I bought years ago to deep fry fish and such. It gets REALLY hot.....

The ones I've seen have all been 20,000 BTU or better. They're heating up a lot of grease to 350°F to fry a big-ol' turkey - that takes a lot of heat.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »

I wouldn't.  That burner is rated at 210,000 BTU, or almost an order of magnitude higher, and I bet the Hoky is not designed to take that kind of heat.

And the burner has to be run wide open?  Just askin'.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »

Real men would only run it balls to the wall! 8)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
another thing not mentioned.  When it's a bit cooler out, humping that much gas out of a propane tank is going to give you vapor pressure problems after a bit too.  If it's summer and the tank is in the sun no problem but in milder weather, issues can occur where the temp cools off in the tank and it can't put out enough gas to keep the thing running that high, and / or you start freezing up the nozzle / regulator etc etc.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 05:32:52 PM »
I had the tank freeze problem with our pottery kiln...  go to a good propane supply and get a set of hoses that allows you to feed your burner off of two tanks at once... we can still freeze a tank but not between April and November..  or up size your tank.. the more surface area the liquid propane has the more gas can be formed per second...  DO NOT TURN TANKS ON THEIR SIDE

Tex

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
another thing not mentioned.  When it's a bit cooler out, humping that much gas out of a propane tank is going to give you vapor pressure problems after a bit too.  If it's summer and the tank is in the sun no problem but in milder weather, issues can occur where the temp cools off in the tank and it can't put out enough gas to keep the thing running that high, and / or you start freezing up the nozzle / regulator etc etc.

Aaron

Run it off NG, like I do.

jspain

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 05:32:46 AM »

Peter,

My single burner only is wide open to start the heating process but then it must be turned down. Way to hot to keep on wide open......  jim

farmroast

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 08:03:38 AM »
From exchanging emails with a new owner it seems the drum may be too small to do fast roast times to first crack with 500g of beans.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 08:36:07 AM »
Same would be true of the mini500/800n, at the maximum capacity. I think the Huky builder stated several of his roaster were at a local school operating 6-8 non stop. That's what makes the Huky500 very interesting; lots of options for the home roaster. Roast a smaller amount and hook it up to a computer, or knock out 4 pounds in an hour. AND, you can buy three Huky's for the price of one mini500/800n.

Tex

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 09:02:40 AM »
I'd still be very hesitant to buy any roaster that didn't have a solid history of product support in the US. Taiwanese/PRC builders may make marvelous machines, but sooner or later something will break or just plain wear out.

Having to wait multiple weeks for a replacement part, which may need to be custom made before it can be shipped, could leave you without a roaster for an extended period. What is a killer issue for a commercial roaster may just be a nuisance to the hobby roaster,  but it'd be enough to make me hesitate.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 10:51:08 AM »
I am sure it uses a generic DC motor, which is the only electronic part on the machine. Right when you got your Huky you could take the motor cover off, look at the make / model, and order a backup off of the internet. DC motors are cheap too. The burner is external and independent of the roaster, so you could go as expensive or inexpensive as you want in that department.