Author Topic: Best espresso machine for under 2000.00  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Tigeranteater

• Standard User
Best espresso machine for under 2000.00
« on: May 30, 2010, 04:26:43 AM »
I am looking into getting an espresso machine and was trying to get the best I could aford at that price level. I was looking at the Andreja Premiun and the Alex Duetto II. The Alex is slightly over the budget. What is your opinion and do you have experience with these machines? Is there anything else to look at?
Steve

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Best espresso machine for under 2000.00
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 04:31:54 AM »
There are a bunch of double boiler PID'd units out there ... get any one of them and you cannot go wrong.  They all have slightly different features ... but in the end ... they will all pull you a great shot.  You get one of these ... and you will take the "machina" aspect out of the necessary variables for great espresso.

Hope that helps.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 05:30:18 AM »
+1

MP nailed it.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 06:15:11 AM »
If it were me, I'd get the Alex Duetto II.   :)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 06:16:01 AM »

Ah ... err ... is that why you got the Vivaldi?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 07:35:33 AM »

Upgradeitus already? :o

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »

Upgradeitus already? :o

Make sense, lad!

Ah ... err ... is that why you got the Vivaldi?

???

Vivaldi wasn't one of his two picks.  Of the two the Izzo would my clear choice.

Tex

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 01:35:22 PM »
Or, spend ~$400 for one of my kick-ass Gaggias and have lots of dough to buy gobs of beans. 8)

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »
You might consider a Vibiemme Domobar.

Edit; don't listen to Tex.

Offline Tigeranteater

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »
Peter, tell me about the Vivaldi. It is certainly within that price. It also looks easier to learn.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 05:37:05 PM »
You wouldn't go wrong w/ either the Vivaldi II or the Mini.  But if you have enough amperage in the kitchen and can plumb in, the II would seem the better choice.  The machine is easy to program and learn, and easy to change any settings. 

Like was said in the 'pull the trigger' thread, in the price range you're at there aren't any bad choices.  Double boiler, rotary pump, PID, etc.  Where you buy from is almost as important as what you buy too. 

As a rookie, one thing I like about the Vivaldi is the programmable pre-infusion, and the programmable volumetric dosing.  So once I lock in the PF, all it takes is one button and I can go grind the next shot or pour some milk for steaming, etc.  I like that the hot water spout is stationery over the drain too.  I don't need to see the pressure gauges, but still don't know why they put them down where they are.

If you were near some people with various machines to go and play for a couple hours, that would be the best.  Come to Milwaukee...

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 12:03:40 AM »
The answer to your question is going to have quite a bit to do with what you are personally into. I have had over 15 different prosumer and commercial espresso machines in the last 4 years, and my answer would probably be much different then the answers of the majority of the individuals in this forum. After experiencing many espresso machine, all prosumer / commercial semi-auto or manual or spring lever, I can tell you the the old school commercial spring levers pull the best shots time after time after time, for my palate anyway. Now, whether you are an individual that would appreciate, and be patient enough, to learn how to master a lever is another question. It definitely takes a certain kind of person, and there is nothing wrong with people who love and stand by their prosumer semi-autos. The two types of machines are very different and both have their plus sides. From my experience though, the results are not even in the same boat. They are incredibly different, and it really depends on what you are looking for in the end cup that will dictate what will ultimately make you more happy.

Either way you go, I would strongly recommend that you go used if you are handy at all. The money you will save / have to spend on other coffee accessories will more than be worth the patients it takes to procure a machine retailing for $2,000 plus for under $800. If you do want a prosumer semi-auto I agree with a lot of the above advice. You really cannot go wrong with a Vibiemme Double Domo with a pid, Alex Duetto II, Alex II or Vivaldi II. The Vivaldi II, Alex Duetto II and Alex II will all have rotary pumps, which is a big plus.

Personally if I were going to buy another machine right now, I would go with the late 70s Brasilia Single Group Commercial Lever on craigslist San Fran, http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/1762141670.html. The seller is asking $1,250, but you could probably get away with $1,000. If you do not live in the San Fran Area shipping would add another $100-$150 with FedEx ground. As long as the person did a decent job restoring it the espresso machine will outlive you, and I cannot say the same for any of the above mentioned semi-autos. To me more parts equal more problems. Lever espresso machines only have 2 electronic parts, a heating element and a pressure stat, and 4 if you want to add a PID and brain.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:17:32 AM by Warrior372 »

GC7

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 09:19:46 AM »
I currently have a QM Anita.  If I was to upgrade when our new home is built and I have a dedicated espresso bar to plumb a machine into the water supply I would get the Vivaldi 2. It has a great support group and offers preinfusion and timer options.

If your budget is for just the espresso machine and you have a suitable grinder then you have been given the obvious and best alternatives. If the ~$2000 also necessitates a grinder then I'd suggest my Anita HX machine and a Compak K3, Baratza Vario, MACAP or other suitable grinder in the $4-500 range.  There is a sale on a few remaining K3's at 1st line coffee as posted in the marketplace tab of Home Barista ($299). You can't beat that for a sale.

northwestmark

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »
I'm going to be selling a Vivaldi Mini 2 in the next week or two. Any interest?

Offline Tigeranteater

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 01:57:37 PM »
Northwestmark,
I would but it is just a few weeks early. I receive a bonus in July and hence the reason for my research now. I am a little overwhelmed simply because I know nothing about espresso machines nor how to use them. I have a decent grinder already; it is a Rocky Rancillio. I got it thinking I may want to get an espresso machine later. Well later is upon me. I liked the Alex Duetto because it LOOKS like a classic espresso machine. I just wonder what the learning curve is and am a little scared since I don't know anything about pulling an espresso shot.