Author Topic: Best espresso machine for under 2000.00  (Read 3835 times)

Tex

Re: Best espresso machine for under 2000.00
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:18 AM »
You make it sound as though the barista should be totally unconcerned about group temps and pressure. That one-size-fits-all mentality is what made Starbucks so great and is also what made them the butt of all barista jokes  :icon_puke_l:

No I don't make it sound as though the barista should be totally unconcerned about group temps and pressure, but that was a good attempt by you to make it appear that I'm unconcerned about group temps and pressure. Take some time to read over my input to this thread and highlight where I said what you are stating.

I understand the importance of temps and pressure, that's why I own a machine that is recognized as being consistently consistent in its group temps and pressure over multiple rapid back to back shots.

I learned everything I know about communications from Bill Clinton! >:D Want me to parse what you really said & meant?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »
^^^ Now there's the Tex we've come to know and love; spouts silly stuff, someone calls BS, gets backed into a corner, reverts to dodging, weak attempts at humor, and changes the subject.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2010, 12:24:10 PM »
^^^ Now there's the Tex we've come to know and love; spouts silly stuff, someone calls BS, gets backed into a corner, reverts to dodging, weak attempts at humor, and changes the subject.

Not really, it's just that Sean, John, and I have had this argument too many times to pursue it here.

I believe the barista should have an intimate knowledge of the workings of a machine; and that barista competitions should include a demonstration of that knowledge by providing the barista with a machine that's been intentionally detuned and seeing how long it takes them to diagnose the problem and fix it.

Sean & John are content with the status quo.

Why argue it in every thread when we can just throw out needles to prick the memory cells?

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2010, 12:33:08 PM »

Not really, it's just that Sean, John, and I have had this argument too many times to pursue it here.

I believe the barista should have an intimate knowledge of the workings of a machine; and that barista competitions should include a demonstration of that knowledge by providing the barista with a machine that's been intentionally detuned and seeing how long it takes them to diagnose the problem and fix it.

Why argue it in every thread when we can just throw out needles to prick the memory cells?

Refer to Peter's quote directly above. Pretty much sums it up.

Tex

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2010, 12:59:53 PM »
To get the thread back on track before it becomes a hot topic candidate; almost any of the machines in the price range specified will make good espresso if the user has the skills. Best is a nigh impossible determination to make, given the inevitable favoritism and prejudices which come into play when advocating for one's own machine. After all, it's only natural to prefer something one has, especially if there's nothing to compare it to.

I doubt that most users/owners have the mechanical or engineering background necessary to evaluate the hardware aspect of selecting the best built espresso machine. So it seems the only thing left to them is to evaluate the ease of use and quality of shot produced. But again, how many users/owners have the breadth of experience to say conclusively that their machine is the best shot maker?

What you get are recommendations of machines; filtered by one's understanding, or lack of understanding, of the other machines available in the same price and use categories. This filtering of context is understandable; most will only speak of what they know of first hand, or have heard about from trusted sources. Or, you get those who recommend something only when they can prosper from the recommendation.

I'd prefer to see someone simply say that their setup makes excellent coffee, by their standards. That way, if five people said brand A made good coffee and three said brand B made good coffee, the prospective buyer would have a tangible measure of quality.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2010, 03:52:41 PM »

If the status quo spent much time with either of us I think it would pee its pants and lose its mind.

I'll let the reader decide who would cause the mind loss and who the pants wetting.

Status quo.....yeah, that's a good one...

Joe Walsh - Ordinary Average Guy

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:56:02 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Jeffo

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »
This reminds me of a conversation I had about photography. I was talking about saturation and they were mentioning RGB and CMYK numbers and all this technical stuff. I know what those things are but only because of web design. A photographer doesn't plug in numbers because a number doesn't mean the same thing for every picture with all the variables. It's just a way to sound smart. Photographers look at the image and tune it by moving sliders, making areas lighter or darker etc etc. And the photography speaks for itself.

Same with espresso. People might like to know the temp or pressure, but it's all sight, smell and taste. And it speaks (tastes) for itself.