Author Topic: ** Brazil - General Utility Coffee 55 Lb Left 5.5.23  (Read 8575 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
** Brazil - General Utility Coffee 55 Lb Left 5.5.23
« on: February 25, 2020, 12:25:16 PM »
Hello everyone:

I have been asked several times if I had a cheaper bean that can be used to break in, or cure, or clean out a roaster with.
I DO have my Robusta, which is reasonably priced but have been told on more than one occasion that it is recommended that ones does NOT use Robusta to break in a roaster.

With that, I did some searching and believe I found a good candidate.

I have a Brazilian here that is very reasonably priced, in fact I can sell it at the same price range of the Robusta, and it will do very well for your break in beans.

Why would you need to run some batches of cheap beans thru a roaster:

1.  New Roaster, need to break it in, season it

2.  You want to experiment and don't want to kill a 5 dollar a pound coffee doing so.  This would also work for rough dialing in a grinder too, or playing with espresso trying to learn the techniques, or troubleshoot issues.

3.  You burned the crap out of a batch, (Ive done this on my Behmor a number of times), now need to run a few batches thru to get the burnt smell out of the thing which would also flavor the next batch of coffee too.  (go ahead, ask me how I know this  :o  )

I was looking for cheap, and unfortunately, there really are no 50 cent a pound beans, unless you want to buy them by the Ton, literally, and the ones I seen in the warehouse were from year 2015.  I honestly can't see how putting garbage thru your roaster would make it any better than the garbage you took out when you burned it up!!  I could not see how this would be helpful in any way, especially having to buy 2200 lbs of it in a super bag.  Would YOU want to roast up a bunch of Mildewy, Moldy beans and leave that residue for your next good batch?

Now.  This Brazillian, actually is not that bad of a bean.  I did roast up some, to make sure it didn't funk out anything, and it is not bad flavor wise.  It's light years ahead of Big Blue or Big Red, but still, nowhere NEAR the quality we expect for our normal sales here.  Just like my Robusta is a cleaner, smoother cup, and not horrible mud like some other Robusta's are, this one is also a cleaner, smoother cup of coffee however UNLIKE the Robusta, which brings Caffeine to the table, which is why I got it, this one brings really nothing much to the drinking table when compared to the regular coffee's we do sell for drinking.

There are no cupping notes.  Royal listed Chocolate, Creamy, and Walnut, but this coffee barely just barely would qualify for being called specialty coffee.  It's absolutely safe to drink of course, but not the quality we expect so is not being sold as a drinker.  It's got some Chocolate flavors in it but that's about all, is very one dimensional.

With this, I will only sell it 5 lbs MAX per order.  Again, Im not selling it for your drinking pleasure, Im selling it to clean your rig out or break it in, or play mad scientist with.  If you want to drink it though, or give it to the mother in law, well here you have it!

If you wish to order some  coffee   Please  FOLLOW DIRECTIONS to order

The Pay Pal e-mail to send the money to is:  aaronscholten@comcast.net if you want to do it manually.  Otherwise click the links below to be taken directly to pay pal with the numbers filled in for you.

Prices:
    Coffee 2.55 Lb

I have also been asked,  Can I just get only a half pound, I have a small roaster and only need one run thru.   Yes you can.

A half a pound will be $1.55..  simply add $1.55 to whatever your total comes to and I will throw in the half pound of GCC Beans to your order
A full pound of will be $2.55..  simply add $2.55 to whatever your total comes to and I will throw in the full  pound of GCC to your order

and if you want a full 5 Lbs to have it on hand for periodical cleaning runs or tinkering with toys:

5 Lb =   $22.95    I want 5 Pounds

Thank you
Aaron

55 Lb Left
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 03:53:40 AM by Ascholten »
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline WonderRoom

• Standard User
Re: Brazil - General Utility Coffee 100 Lb Left
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 07:37:21 PM »
Just paid for 5 lbs.  Thank you.

100-5 = 95

Offline Alex.Enc

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 09:32:58 AM »
Hello! Just got a new behmor and need to test it out. I would like to order 5lbs, is it still available?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 09:49:35 AM »
yes alex it is still available, I have plenty of this coffee and will generally keep it in stock.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Alex.Enc

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 01:12:07 PM »
Thank you Aaron. Paid for 5lbs just now.

95-5=90 left

Cheers,

Offline JimH

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 04:20:07 PM »
Thanks Aaron. Just paid for 5 lbs.
85 lbs left

Jim

Offline lockjack

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 08:56:09 AM »
5lbs and paypal sent, thanks.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Brazil - General Utility Coffee 90 Lb Left
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 10:17:20 PM »
For those who have used this to clean their pot or roaster, let us know how well it worked for you :D

Also for those who drank it (cough cough, emergency stash only of course!! )  Let us know what you think of that!

Thanks
Aaron

90 LB Left

Offline aztd

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 12:23:43 PM »
5 # please  payment sent thank you

Offline Alex.Enc

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 08:54:27 AM »
Hello all,

Ive been using the 5lb general purpose to break in my shiny new Behmor 1600 plus.

I didnt want to compromise good beans in newbie hands, so i did some research and took some notes to get used to the beast.

Its a great coffee to go "mad scientist" and to experiment different kinds of profiles. I can still measure some of the roasting qualities, but due to inconsistency of green bean, these done at a light roast setting can be very inconsistent. I get more consistency out of medium roast, but if i leave it on darker side some beans will scorch.

Not recommended for coffee snobs, but at medium roast its the same as regular coffee commonly found anywhere. I gave some to family members who were interested. I did, but not wihtout a warning that its not up to standards. 

Might order again to fool around with the profiles. Now that i have time at home, its quite fun to do so.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 09:45:50 AM »
Hello Alex.  Most any bean going light with, can be touchy, especially in the Behmor since it does not actually stop roasting when you press the stop button, but because of the way it cools, can actually roast for another minute or so afterwards, which is why if you decide to go second crack with your B' you need to be VERY careful and actually stop it a bit before you anticipate you want it to stop at or you'll end up with very dark and oily beans.

Medium is a good roast for these  beans and yes, they will easily stand up to and beat Big Blue or Big Red any day, but as you said, are not up to our standards of perfection, which is why I sell them as a utility bean, or a, oh great, she's making me roast for the mother in law bean, and not a Hey I want to impress my friends bean.  :)

Darker roast, with any bean, again, be careful on the Behmor.   By scorch, what exactly do you mean?  are they tipping or just getting very black and oily?  If it's black and oily, that's characteristic of the Behmor going into second crack unless you stop it right at the threshold of getting there.  What I would recommend is go a lot by smell as well,  you can smell like an acrid precursor, and see a bit of smoke right as it's approaching second crack, try to stop there if you can.

Yes, this is a good bean to experiment with, so you are not tanking 6 dollar a pound beans, yet at the same time, can still drink or give them away without having to hold your head in shame  :angel:  8)

Aaron

Offline Alex.Enc

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 12:08:35 PM »
Thanks Aaron,

what I meant by scorched were those pesky beans that get stuck in drum. First few roasts that i tried to go medium dark, they were a few beans stuck on blades of drum and they were totally scorched/burned. I dont know what the right term is, but i know they would not be any good in a brew.

This experience is eye opening, I am a managaer for a coffee shop, been a barista for a while now. I know how to brew and make roasted coffee taste good at this point.

But roasting? what an animal this is. I thought I had an idea, boy was i wrong.

Anyhow, this is much more fun than i expected, and i am going a little nuts and collecting whatever data available i can. This GP bean has helped greatly to not cry over spilled beans, if you catch my drift.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 01:08:48 PM »
The best part is, they ARE drinkable too if you don't destroy them.

the beans stuck in the drum, yep the Behmor does that with pretty much any bean, you will always get a few that go head first into the grates and get lodged there.  Do yourself a favor and when you roast, before you load / reload the drum, press those beans out with your finger and dump them before roasting again.  Burning beans can give an icky smoke flavor to the batch.  This is not really a flaw of the Behmor that this happens, I mean, it's a screen with holes,  some beans are going to get caught halfway thru and burn, it'd happen with any setup like that.

Roasting is like riding a bike, you can watch all the videos you want on it, but until you get the hang of actually doing it, it's going to be difficult.  but once you do master it, it's much easier.  It's not really hard to learn either, just that bit of time until you do.

One thing to keep in mind is, the most important thing is, you can learn the general's of roasting but learning YOUR machine is the most critical.  Listen to what others have to say, but my numbers and techniques that I may do on my Artisan 6 as an example, will NOT cross over to your Behmor, they are just two totally different beasts, and my data or any roasting data that is not yours really, is just a general guideline.  Even if you talk to other Behmor users, they can give you guidelines, but you need to know YOUR setup and idiosyncrasies.  Once you master that you are golden.

Yes it is very fun, I never get tired of roasting coffee.  Each batch is a new challenge to try to conquer.  I always tell people, purposely burn a batch, that way you KNOW where your crossover point is on your machine, you learn the signs and the smells that you are getting ready to screw up.  On the Behmor tho, that's a horrible mess,  I've burned plenty of batch on mine when I used to roast with it, and you will need a few empty / cleaning runs to get that smell and flavor out of the thing afterwards.  For the most part, once you hit second crack in the Behmor, if you let it go much longer than say 30 to 45 seconds into second crack, you are really inviting disaster.  Again, with that machine, it continues to cook after you hit the cool for a bit, and second crack rather quickly turns exothermic and can torch beans real easy.  On a plus side though, I can not vouch anymore for the newer ones they have out, but the original Behmor's were built like a tank and could easily take the abuse of a fried batch or three.  One thing to remember about a Behmor fire, sometimes its best to walk the entire thing outside and let it cool down.  If you open it up and try to remove the tray and drum and walk that outside solo, you could trail a stream of flaming embers behind you, which depending on if you have carpeting etc might not be good.

Aaron

Offline friarchambers

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 11:36:33 AM »
Built a new roaster based off Larry Cottons's heat gun/flour sifter. Time to roast some coffee!
Costa Rica La Rosa: 8#
PNG Timuza: 3#
Brazil GUC: 3#
Decaf Columbia: 1# (Never done decaf before. But, friends.)
Cross-posted in each forum and paid via PP, $78.15.

Thank you. This whole forum...amazing.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 01:29:54 PM »
friarchambers thank you for the compliments.

On the Decaf.    Because of the way it is processed.

1. The color is off,  it's already 'dark' before you even roast it

2.  It will not produce much chaff generally, so if you have a roaster that relies on chaff collecting to control airflow, like an old I roast for example, that will throw it off it's game.  Drum roasting this is not an issue

3.  Crack tends to be very quiet with Decaf's, so can be easily missed and you find yourself into second crack pretty fast if you are not careful.  You realize this when there is a LOT of smoke from your roaster :)  Pay attention to roast times, and smells are still a good indicator too, you will still get that acrid waft before reaching second in earnest.

4.  Friends who drink decaf.  While we love to brag on how fresh our coffee is, the decaf can find itself sitting on a shelf for a month or three, waiting for that 'one guy' who drinks it to show up.  :angel:  I find that it does not I guess I should say, over age, like some regular coffee's can and still taste pretty good for what it is, even some months after being roasted.   My point being,  don't throw it away because it's a few months old, besides, it's decaf, what do they expect ?   >:D

5.  Another option, sometimes people don't want decaf, but don't want full throttle.  I have one customer who I blend the decaf with his regular coffee 60 / 40 to take it down a notch but still give a little tingle and a lot of flavor.  So you 'can' blend it in if you don't want it sitting around months,  (and if I ever end up in a court room and am questioned about saying this, I'll deny it till I die!  ;D  )

Enjoy and feel free to post and let us know how your roaster is working out for you.

Aaron