Author Topic: Show Off your Espresso Machine  (Read 64450 times)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
Re: Show Off your Espresso Machine
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
That is just beautiful.  Let me wipe away a tear...
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2008, 07:54:51 PM »
Nice images dude, and I'm also wiping a tear from my eye... seeing that empty jar. ;-)

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2008, 10:18:32 PM »
Substitute some of Stubbie's Moreninha Formosa for the Sumatra and that's almost exactly what I've been pulling shots with this week. Sniff.

Time to check the stash to see what the Sumatra situation is...
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2008, 04:39:31 PM »
I only thought I was in trouble when I purchased a coffee roaster. Now that I have Glacier's Vibiemme and Macap I have gone over the deep end! I spent 3 years with a Gaggia Coffee Deluxe and Rocky, pulling doubles about every night. I never did milk based drinks though. I am just thrilled with this new setup. I am going to have to do some milk drinks now because this thing has a steamer that would power a turbine! Who has time to roast coffee? I've got important things to learn, like microfoam and latte art! ;D

Shot one on the machine was not so hot, literally. Shot two was absolutely perfect! Beginner's luck. I wasn't even using anything special. I have a lot of samples right now so I grabbed some Sumatra and Kenya and what a lovely shot it made! Oh, the crema! Oh, the lovely brown hue! Oh, the beauty of it all! Gotta run...YouTube is calling...I must learn to produce microfoam...now! I'll trade my YM10 for a good lesson in microfoam! Who needs a roaster when you have espresso!

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2008, 07:54:59 PM »
I only thought I was in trouble when I purchased a coffee roaster. Now that I have Glacier's Vibiemme and Macap I have gone over the deep end! I spent 3 years with a Gaggia Coffee Deluxe and Rocky, pulling doubles about every night. I never did milk based drinks though. I am just thrilled with this new setup. I am going to have to do some milk drinks now because this thing has a steamer that would power a turbine! Who has time to roast coffee? I've got important things to learn, like microfoam and latte art! ;D

Shot one on the machine was not so hot, literally. Shot two was absolutely perfect! Beginner's luck. I wasn't even using anything special. I have a lot of samples right now so I grabbed some Sumatra and Kenya and what a lovely shot it made! Oh, the crema! Oh, the lovely brown hue! Oh, the beauty of it all! Gotta run...YouTube is calling...I must learn to produce microfoam...now! I'll trade my YM10 for a good lesson in microfoam! Who needs a roaster when you have espresso!

Shep

the end of b-town beans and the birth of b-town bistro

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2008, 04:57:09 AM »

Shep

the end of b-town beans and the birth of b-town bistro

Somebody get me an apron...and another gallon of milk!  >:D

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2008, 06:58:33 AM »
It's like printing money, I hear...

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2008, 12:44:05 PM »
It's like printing money, I hear...

Sure it is. ;) It is a good thing I started the roasting biz with no expectations of making money, because its mostly just a rat hole and a work camp!

Don't think I'll be entering any latte art contests any time soon!

Shep

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2009, 06:14:18 AM »
This morning I am pulling shot after shot as part of some experimentation. When the Macap came, UPS had been a little rough with it and the bean hopper had broken off. A new one came in the mail yesterday. So, this morning I have been dialing in the grinder. Once I got it about right I became witness to the truth that has been preached here and elsewhere for years...the grinder makes the difference! I have been using a Rocky but always found it challenging to dial it in for the proper pull. When using it with the Vibiemme, I was able to get really nice shots. However, when I got the Macap set up, for the first time ever, I was pulling all crema. Very cool.

Shep

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
Well, I've gotten much better at the microfoam thing. Far from latte art material, but improving. Open up the steamer on this machine and it takes all of about 10 seconds to steam 8 or 10 ounces of milk...yikes!

I would guess I have pulled at least 100 doubles in the past 5 or 6 days. I am giving Glacier's machine a workout. I have been sampling about a zillion blend possibilities for a new group of customers. I had a blend already that I was reasonably happy with, but I have eliminated one of the coffees from my offering as I go all organic. After sampling way too many shots I have reached one conclusion: as a straight espresso drinker, I much prefer Sumatra-based (or at least a high percentage) blends over Brazil-based blends. That might change if I had other Brazil's at my disposal, but as of right now,using the Poco Fundo I have on hand, I'm all about the Sumatra.

Shep

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2009, 03:44:31 PM »
Well, I've gotten much better at the microfoam thing. Far from latte art material, but improving. Open up the steamer on this machine and it takes all of about 10 seconds to steam 8 or 10 ounces of milk...yikes!

I would guess I have pulled at least 100 doubles in the past 5 or 6 days. I am giving Glacier's machine a workout. I have been sampling about a zillion blend possibilities for a new group of customers. I had a blend already that I was reasonably happy with, but I have eliminated one of the coffees from my offering as I go all organic. After sampling way too many shots I have reached one conclusion: as a straight espresso drinker, I much prefer Sumatra-based (or at least a high percentage) blends over Brazil-based blends. That might change if I had other Brazil's at my disposal, but as of right now,using the Poco Fundo I have on hand, I'm all about the Sumatra.

Shep

let us start a pool on when Shep will actually be able to sleep (or not be able too brew to stay awake)

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2009, 02:19:56 AM »
Back to the "day job" today (GE) after only working one week in the past 7. I need all the help I can get! These are the mornings I wake up (4:30...ugh!) and say, "You know, working for yourself is the only way to go!"

Shep

Tex

« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2009, 06:40:13 PM »
Work in progress & what I was using two years ago.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:19:08 PM by Tex »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2009, 09:01:29 PM »
You rebuilding another Bunn Robert?

What is the one you were using 2 years ago.  I cannot make it out in the picture.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »
You rebuilding another Bunn Robert?

What is the one you were using 2 years ago.  I cannot make it out in the picture.

:)

I've got one PID'd Bunn I'm using now - I just completely rebuilt it & am waiting for the plumber to install it. I have another that I'm stripping for a rebuild - I'll be sending the exposed panels to be painted. It'll be my keeper when it's done. I also have a Gaggia Espresso with PID & OPV mods - it's the machine I use on a daily basis.

The picture also shows the Mazzer Super Jolly grinder I had - I use a Rancilio MD-50 now- it's quieter & creates less mess. The drip machine is a Melitta Clarity - aka, "The poor man's Technivorm."

Bigger pictures used.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:19:42 PM by Tex »