Author Topic: Pharos vs Rancilio MD-50  (Read 11262 times)

Offline expy98

• Standard User
Re: Pharos vs Rancilio MD-50
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 10:58:37 AM »
As posted on the Pharos thread on HB, this longer handle makes cranking the Pharos a breeze
and eliminates all rocking while grinding on the counter.

IMO, the ideal length is at 7" (middle of 5 holes) and the final version from Will will likely
be 2 holes at 6" and 7" but as I've posted, the protruding unused length gets in the way
if one taps the top plate while dumping like I do.  I've ordered mine with just one hole drilled
at 7".  I've tried it at 8" and it's cumbersome at that length and grinding isn't much easier than 7".
At 6", it's better than stock length (5") but still some effort and minor rocking. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:03:37 AM by expy98 »

SJM

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 11:03:10 AM »

And per Sam's input I have one of these handles on order with Voodoodaddy as well....
I'm gonna be READY!!!!

Susan
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:15:24 AM by SJM »

Tex

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 03:08:32 PM »
Perfect !!!
Thank you.
I see that my credit card was charged for the Pharos yesterday, so I expect it will arrive soon.
I will make sure I've got these parts ready to rock n roll when it shows up.

Susan
Who's got dibs on this one once Susan's done playing with it?   :P

Oh, you know how she does things? ;D

SJM

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
Perfect !!!
Thank you.
I see that my credit card was charged for the Pharos yesterday, so I expect it will arrive soon.
I will make sure I've got these parts ready to rock n roll when it shows up.

Susan
Who's got dibs on this one once Susan's done playing with it?   :P

Oh, you know how she does things? ;D

Sheesh....
it's the peanut gallery weighing in again.....
 :-[   :-[   :-[ 

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
you got me there Yak, I really needed a third Pharos...

smico

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
I didn't want to miss opportunity to try HG One, so I visited my coffee buddy Sunday afternoon. We had superb Costa Rica Santa Elena espresso, HG One + Olympia Cremina are perfect pair.

But then I left his house with his old Pharos #312.  He caught me by surprise, I couldn't help myself, beans I traded it for were already paid for, and so on and so forth, all the stories from the rabbit hole...

My new Pharos is non modified and I have some techical issues with my left wrist, so for now, I improvised docking station in the top drawer.  Grinding is easy now.

Pharos outshines Vario every time.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 06:08:42 PM »
fantastic idea w/ the docking station.  You're gonna luv luv luv the longer handle.

smico

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 02:33:09 AM »
Wooden docking station is not in the spirit of the grinder I know, so good thing I borrowed idea from Peter to hide it in the drawer, but it works for now. 
All upgrade kits that I want seems to double the price of Pharos, so I will hold off for a moment.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:37:58 AM by smico »

SJM

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 08:04:17 AM »
Wooden docking station is not in the spirit of the grinder I know,

Wow, I think it is perfectly aligned with the spirit of the grinder.
I've been thinking of a way to contrive something similar, but I'd put mine right up on top of the counter if I can find a space to allocate to the job.  I think it's a brilliant idea.

Susan

smico

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 09:13:38 AM »
Wow, I think it is perfectly aligned with the spirit of the grinder.
I agree with that Susan. 
Just execution is pitiful.  I could have at least used something else but pressure treated wood leftover from my deck.
It works like a charm though.
Miroslav

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »
I have the complete Voodoo mod kit for a couple of months now, still not installed.  IMO,
with RDT and the longer handle, that should address 90% of the common complaints of
the Pharos, for me 99%, the remaining 1% is having to disassemble to clean stray ground
behind the funnel but that's once every 6 months at most. 
I'm in no particular hurry to install the kit but I suppose I will eventually. 

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2013, 10:30:09 AM »
The holding block is just a prototype right? Pharos deserves some walnut or cherry wood :)

Extended handles are in production; price is reasonable. Must have Pharos mods are stainless adjustment nut w/pointer (has nylon tipped set screws for mazzer like adjustment), roller bearing, and possibly extended handle; especially for someone with hand or arm problems. 

Lido handle? Voodoodaddy has made me a replacement handle for the Lido; that tiny knob gives me fits. I've got some hand issues from repetitive work and the larger knob should help.

jano

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2013, 10:34:56 AM »
I have the complete Voodoo mod kit for a couple of months now, still not installed.  IMO,
with RDT and the longer handle, that should address 90% of the common complaints of
the Pharos, for me 99%, the remaining 1% is having to disassemble to clean stray ground

It seems everyone has their own priorities - the bearing and nylon set-screw adjustment setup was absolute winner to me, with the aluminum bolt covers being secondary to allow for securing the alignment.  Gives me consistency and adjustment ease without all the issues I had.  Really wish I had done it a long time ago.

smico

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:40 AM »

It seems everyone has their own priorities - the bearing and nylon set-screw adjustment setup was absolute winner to me, with the aluminum bolt covers being secondary to allow for securing the alignment.  Gives me consistency and adjustment ease without all the issues I had.  Really wish I had done it a long time ago.
And Sam, clearly you ordered something that you don’t need man.  Peter's karma initiative fulfills you with sense of purpose...  I will be watching carefully for Voodoo mod kits offered…  8)
Thank you for chiming in jano and hankua.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:29:41 AM by smico »

SJM

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
Miroslav, is that form just an exact replica of the bottom of the Pharos?
Can I just trace around it onto a piece of graph paper and then use that to cut out a piece of wood?
I do have some nice Fir I could use....Cherry and Walnut are too hard for me to cut.

Susan