Author Topic: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 81981 times)

cfsheridan

Re: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
Sounds like you have a lemon.  I've used and abused my hottop, and haven't had any trouble.  Done up to 22 roasts in a day, no problem.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2009, 04:30:18 PM »
I've had a programmable hottop for almost 2 years now which I bought directly from them. I have had to replace several items. I am only roasting for myself so it is not getting anything but light use. Now my LCD screen is going bad and half the information is unreadable. I note Larry's issues with the heating element on his older machine. Those of you with hottops, have you been happy with the reliability? I am becoming increasingly disappointed with it's electronics. I am wondering if this is par for this machine or have I got a lemon?

I've done hundreds of roasts on mine, anything that I've had to replace (heating element) is what I consider reasonable wear and tear. I'm completely happy with mine.

I'd recommend dropping an email to Michael at Hottop and asking him his thoughts, they have a pretty good reputation.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »
I've had a programmable hottop for almost 2 years now which I bought directly from them. I have had to replace several items. I am only roasting for myself so it is not getting anything but light use. Now my LCD screen is going bad and half the information is unreadable. I note Larry's issues with the heating element on his older machine. Those of you with hottops, have you been happy with the reliability? I am becoming increasingly disappointed with it's electronics. I am wondering if this is par for this machine or have I got a lemon?
I agree that you must have a lemon.  My experience with repairing a HotTop resulted from when I melted my own P model base, resulting in my having to replace the body and panel.  It was easy and fun.  Everything you need to know is on the HotTop website.  I would suggest, though, that you take a photograph of the wire connections on the p.c. board before disconnecting the panel.  There were a few wires that were not obvious to me, and the numbered labels fell off, so I had to reconnect through analysis and trial and error.  No harm done, in the end.  Hundreds of roasts before the repair, and a hundred or so since.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Steve7

« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2009, 03:03:15 AM »

Offline George Coury

• Standard User
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2009, 10:13:07 AM »

I don't understand what you're implying sir? LOL!

milowebailey

« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »
Replaced my heating element today.... that was the problem.  The new heating element was a pain because when I installed it the end toward the viewing window rubbed the drum.  I had to install a shim under the mounting bracket.  Once I did that it no longer rubbed.  I also installed new thermocouples for the Milowidget.  I had bought some better screw-in type thermocouples to get better readings. 

I am now able to get to 2nd crack in under 16 minutes with 200 grams...

Steve7

« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2009, 03:50:56 PM »
The lemon bites back.

Offline George Coury

• Standard User
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2009, 10:27:04 AM »
Just a followup:
I got a chance to talk ( Via email) to Michael about my problem Hottop and he has sent me some parts to replace on my Hottop. He was easy to deal with, and I cannot say his service has ever been a problem. I will be replacing those parts this weekend and just hope for regular maintenance issues down the road. I appreciate everyone's input on this.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:46:25 PM by gsc76 »

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2010, 07:37:50 AM »
I thought I had my HT-P all set up, with good profiles for different beans and roasts, but after I bought a batch of Kona from Lion's Gate, I was very disappointed.  After several roasts on my "Kona" profile (slow ramp with a long dehydration around 350F), which BTW works just fine with Purple Mountain and Thunder Mountain, I thought the Lion's Gate was flat and uninteresting.  A week ago, I thought, what the heck, I might as well try it with my slightly modified Standard profile and run it into espresso roast.  This stuff is REALLY GOOD!!!
So, my dilemma is, I think I no longer know ANYTHING about profiling or roasting!  For one thing, programming the HT-P is quite abstract, as the temps one sets are just a general method of turning the heating element on and off, but say nothing about where the roast will be at any point in time.  Then, if by chance, I find a profile that seems to bring out the special notes of a bean, which is looking more and more hit-and-miss, I no longer have any idea of how to tweak the profile to make it better.
What methods are others with HT-Ps using to create and modify profiles?  Should I bother trying to "theorize" about where to stretch the ramp and where to push it, other than after 1st crack, of course?  Or am I just thinking too much, and should just use the stinkin' modified Standard for Lion's Gate, and whatever I have programmed for whatever else I want to roast, because no matter what, it will be a heck of a lot better than if I were using an air popper?

garybt3

« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2010, 07:50:45 AM »
I thought I had my HT-P all set up, with good profiles for different beans and roasts, but after I bought a batch of Kona from Lion's Gate, I was very disappointed.  After several roasts on my "Kona" profile (slow ramp with a long dehydration around 350F), which BTW works just fine with Purple Mountain and Thunder Mountain, I thought the Lion's Gate was flat and uninteresting.  A week ago, I thought, what the heck, I might as well try it with my slightly modified Standard profile and run it into espresso roast.  This stuff is REALLY GOOD!!!
So, my dilemma is, I think I no longer know ANYTHING about profiling or roasting!  For one thing, programming the HT-P is quite abstract, as the temps one sets are just a general method of turning the heating element on and off, but say nothing about where the roast will be at any point in time.  Then, if by chance, I find a profile that seems to bring out the special notes of a bean, which is looking more and more hit-and-miss, I no longer have any idea of how to tweak the profile to make it better.
What methods are others with HT-Ps using to create and modify profiles?  Should I bother trying to "theorize" about where to stretch the ramp and where to push it, other than after 1st crack, of course?  Or am I just thinking too much, and should just use the stinkin' modified Standard for Lion's Gate, and whatever I have programmed for whatever else I want to roast, because no matter what, it will be a heck of a lot better than if I were using an air popper?

I parked my Hottop P on the shelf, waiting for the day that the Milo widget is available...

I went back to my Tweaked out Poppery 1, Full Control over heat & airflow(also boosted the fan voltage) and up to 1/2 # batches.... I've roasted more than 200#'s in it & she just keeps on going...

I am working on my BBQ roaster, I just picked up a tread machine last weekend and stripped it down...the motor is 2HP and speed controlled. I am working out the gear drives, trying to separate the motor from the heat source. Thinking of using bicycle gears & chain, because there are 2 bikes in my toolshed taking up space  ;D

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2010, 08:51:10 AM »

[/quote]

I parked my Hottop P on the shelf, waiting for the day that the Milo widget is available...

I went back to my Tweaked out Poppery 1, Full Control over heat & airflow(also boosted the fan voltage) and up to 1/2 # batches.... I've roasted more than 200#'s in it & she just keeps on going...

I am working on my BBQ roaster, I just picked up a tread machine last weekend and stripped it down...the motor is 2HP and speed controlled. I am working out the gear drives, trying to separate the motor from the heat source. Thinking of using bicycle gears & chain, because there are 2 bikes in my toolshed taking up space  ;D
[/quote]

~~~Gary,  You would be better off cleaning, lubing, adjusting the drivetrain on your bicycle and put some air in the tires so you could take it for a lengthy ride, just to get the endorphins in your bloodstream flowing...which would clear your mind so you could see your way to removing the P panel from your Hot Top and installing the B *upgrade*

Jake
Reddick Fla.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits"

garybt3

« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2010, 09:11:51 AM »
There are 2 bikes & I can only ride 1 of them at a time!

I've been needing a 2 to 5 # roaster for some time.

A really bad windstorm destroyed my last BBQ drum setup...picked it up and tossed it like a leaf . This one is going to be Heavy Duty, mobile & able to take a punch ;-)

The Hottop is nice enough, but I'm sure I'd kill it if I kept using it to roast 5#'s a day X 3 day weekend...I have 4 spare Poppery 1's as backup machines, but the controls were made by a guy that dropped off my radar screen 2 years ago...Fantastic controller. I have the plans, just need need an electronics guy to build me a few of them... :-\

At the moment, I still need a BBQ roaster more than a 'B' panel for the Hottop.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2010, 09:26:50 AM »
There are 2 bikes & I can only ride 1 of them at a time!

I've been needing a 2 to 5 # roaster for some time.

A really bad windstorm destroyed my last BBQ drum setup...picked it up and tossed it like a leaf . This one is going to be Heavy Duty, mobile & able to take a punch ;-)

The Hottop is nice enough, but I'm sure I'd kill it if I kept using it to roast 5#'s a day X 3 day weekend...I have 4 spare Poppery 1's as backup machines, but the controls were made by a guy that dropped off my radar screen 2 years ago...Fantastic controller. I have the plans, just need need an electronics guy to build me a few of them... :-\

At the moment, I still need a BBQ roaster more than a 'B' panel for the Hottop.

If you're roasting 15lbs per week I think you're probably out of Hottop range anyways. (except for small batches and test roasts, I guess).

3 batches (~1.5 lbs) a week at my current burn rate is about as much time as I really want to spend in front of the Hottop.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2010, 09:55:18 AM »
3 batches (~1.5 lbs) a week at my current burn rate is about as much time as I really want to spend in front of the Hottop.
Well, if the profiles are good, you would really only need to spend a few minutes per batch in front of your Hottop.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2010, 10:10:09 AM »
Well, if the profiles are good, you would really only need to spend a few minutes per batch in front of your Hottop.

But placard on the side says "Do not leave roaster unattended while roasting"!  ::)

B panel...I'd need more than 3 profiles.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?